SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, VT, Warren
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
Discussion
Ordering my initial setup, final suggestions please!

Hello folks,

Just a few newbie questions before i make my plunge into this wonderful hobby. After learning on the Champ im officially in love and would like some final pointers on my first real purchase into the hobby.

1. DX7s- I haven't ruled out the dx6i. will the gimbals on the dx7 improve my flights at all? The 10 model memory on the 6i would be enough for me, but i like the extra features of the dx7s as i grow as a pilot. Do you think the dx6i would be more suitable for me?

2. ar8000- this comes with the dx7s. No FPV'ing here. Just going to be park flying. Is the range reliable without a satellite? Since the orange sat's are forever out of stock at HK, what are my other options as far as a sat. go? Are they called something else because i don't see them at HZ or HH. Also, will the 30amp ESC that comes wth my pnp be big enough to handle the ar8000?
This is my initial setup and i will be open to orange rx's down the road.

3. Charger- this area has given me a great deal of headache. Im over complicating it dramatically... I see some chargers with only dc, some with ac/dc, all sorts of plugs, power supply's etc... Is there a generic ac adapter that will plug into say a b6 or a accucel charger that i can buy? Or do they need to be specific to that company. Does it make more sense to buy one with the ac plug in, even if its 15 dollars more? I can't fit in a decent power supply into my budget, so i need to start with AC. I dont have extra computer power supply's lying around so i need to buy everything to get it plugged into my wall. I don't want to charge in my car. I'd eventually like to get a 12v field charging set up, but one step at a time.

4. Batteries- I'll be starting off with li-po's. Banana plugs, dean plugs, i don't get it. I charge the battery with the leads righ t? I'd like to use Zippy's to start out with. Is there a more quality budget battery i don't know about? Will zippy, turnigy, rhino bats plug into a b6 or accucel charger without adapters? What else would i need to be able to charge these batteries with the before mentioned chargers? Will they plug into the ar8000 and e-flite 30 amp ESC without adapters?

5. ESC Battery- do i need one of these? help!

6. My plane- im going to take a risk and buy a pz stinson pnp. I have to... lol.
Ive heard the good, the bad, and the in-between. Tip stalls, flap hinges, not self correcting. I like the challenge of flight. I don't want to sit there with a teched out radio with everything mixed to the point an ape would be able to fly it. Sure maybe i'll throw in some rudder with the ailerons but nothing serious. My question is. Well the ar8000, the e-flite 30 ESC, and lets say for example, a zippy 2200mah batter all work in this plane stock?

I wold like to thank anyone who took the time to read this. I have been researching rc planes for the last year and have just over complicated things to the point where my head is spinning. If you can offer up your advice i'd truly appreciate it.
-Isaac

PS- the nearest LHS is in Montreal. I live 2.5 hours away in central vermont. Is there a better discounted US based website that i can order these things from or is HK really the only one? Thanks again!!
aviator4934 is offline Find More Posts by aviator4934
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:52 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,202 Posts
1. DX7s yes if you can afford it
2. ar8000- works fine with any esc - but won't bind with out sat hooked up I believe. orange rx should be fine for park flyers.
3. Charger ac is fine but most you see are dc. which one now thats a tough one to explain, you need to look at the output of the charger or you will take forever charging your batts. 50 watts seem like a lot but not really---amps x volts = watts so when you get bigger batteries the amps you can put in are going down and charge time goes up.
5. ESC Battery Don't think you need one for the pnp, it will list what you need thats not included.
6. My plane -all work in this plane stock?
here is 188 pages of info on the pz stinson
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...arkzon+stinson
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
ar8000 won't bind to the dx7s it comes with without a sat? that doesn't sound right... where can i purchase sats for the ar8000 anyway?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:56 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
This thread might be very helpful for you. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586139
And I personally applied Turnigy 3S 2200 Lipo and iMax B6 charger for a long time, they all worked great for me. But Turnigy lipo comes with the yellow XT-60 connector, while B6 does not include such connector, you'd need an adapter between XT-60 and Dean connectors. Be reminded that B6 came with an adapter for AC use at home, and a lead/plug for charging with 12V car battery as well.

And DX6i is more than enough for flying R/C planes, DX7 is way better but might be expensive if you are budget minded. They all work for flying FPV.

There have been tons of trainer available on markets, better to find a high wing and slow one as your real trainer, Champ is not good enoguh for flying real R/C.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
Thanks chen!

isn't the stinson a high wing? i know its not the best trainer but you only live once

i flew the hell out of the champ and was doing ridiculous aerobatics in my small front yard and flying patterns with ease. Is this enough, no, but i have to find out.
Still a bit confused on the deans connectors and adapters etc... is there a charger for around 35.00 that will work with a broad spectrum of batteries or will they all require some adapters at one point? Do you reccomend Turnigy over zippy or rhino?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
Im a bit worried about the 30 amp esc with 5 servo's (flaps)... what sort of compatibility issues do i need to keep in mind when upgrading a ESC? does it have to be e-flite?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:55 PM
Glad to be here...
United States, GA, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Here is a good site that goes over power in general - LiPo batteries, connectors, chargers, etc.

http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...arging-how-tos

You need to pick a connector for your batteries and ESCs to standardize on. Or only buy one brand where they are the same, like E-Flite. But that can be expensive. For the most part, many like Deans. I decided to use Anderson Powerpoles because I can use some of the same equipment (like a watt meter) in my HAM radio gear (where APPs are the standard).
MX5Seeker is offline Find More Posts by MX5Seeker
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
sounds like a good plan mx5. Can you help me out on this one? what esc's and batteries come out of the box compatible with spektrum/orange gear?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:51 AM
Glad to be here...
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator4934 View Post
sounds like a good plan mx5. Can you help me out on this one? what esc's and batteries come out of the box compatible with spektrum/orange gear?
Well, Spektrum/Orange is primarily radio gear. The receiver normally connects to the Electronic Speed Control (ESC) and the ECS connects to the battery (I know there are other parts that can be in here too, but I'm talking simple). So, the ECS connectors need to match the battery.

My first plane is an Apprentice. It uses an EC3 connector. If you went that route, that means you have to buy E-Flite batteries, generics with EC3 plugs, use adptors, or change the batteries you get to EC3. Again, I'm standardizing on APPs.

Then, you get to balance plugs for your charger. You have to make sure what you buy matches your charger. Or, you can get adapters/balance boards to match the two.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
so an e-flite esc would require a EC3 connector? got it i feel like im over thinking this whole thing a bit. I just want to be able to get myself in the air without going the BNF route. Thanks for your input!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:13 AM
Glad to be here...
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
so an e-flite esc would require a EC3 connector? got it i feel like im over thinking this whole thing a bit. I just want to be able to get myself in the air without going the BNF route. Thanks for your input!
Let me qualify this with a definite “maybe”. All of the E-Flite models I have looked at use the EC3. But I have not looked at everyone, so I cannot guarantee they all do. So, check the model manual to be sure.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:42 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
1) The main things that will likely help you with flying your next plane are adjustable d/r and expo which both the DX6i and DX7s have. Which one is best for you depends on what sort of planes you hope to get into in the future. You might want to spend some time looking around at more advanced planes that interest you and see what sort of requirements they have in terms of channels, controls and programming. DX7s is probably the safer way to go as you'll have more options available to you then you would with a DX6i.

2) The AR8000 comes with a satellite. As far as parkflyer foam planes are concerned, a full range receiver without a satellite like an AR600 should be just fine in most cases; thus why parkzone uses it in pretty much all their non-micro BNF stuff.

3) You may want to spend some time looking through the battery & chargers section on this forum. There is a lot of useful information to be had if you're willing to do a little reading. As already stated B6 and Accucell chargers are fine if you're just starting out but as your battery collection grows you may find that 50W of charging power takes too long to get your batterys up and ready. You need a power supply to run the DC chargers, any one will do so long as they meet the voltage and current input requirements for the particular charger you're looking at. You may want to consider getting something with a little more power like a Junsi or Powerlabs charger (check out epbuddy.com or progressiverc.com for nice deals on them). They cost a bit more but pay off in the long run if you're sticking with the hobby (plus they work nicely on a couple of car batteries).

4) Non-micro Parkzone planes all use EC3 connectors. You'll need to buy an adapter for whatever lead batteries you choose, replace the connectors on the batteries and/or esc, or buy only parkzone/e-flite batteries (which I recommend against as they're overpriced and not of very good quality). Batteries can be charged either by the main leads or from the balance connector alone (up to about a 2A rate). Batteries have different types of balance connectors as well so keep that in mind when buying batteries and your charger.

5) As already explained, in the case of the stinson (and many other electric planes) the battery for plane connects to the ESC directly. A component in the ESC known as a BEC (battery elimination circuit) converts the voltage to ~5-6V which is used to power the receiver which in turn relays power to the servos. It works with pretty much any receiver you're looking to put in there.

6) I don't own a stinson but from what I've heard of it, it doesn't seem like a very good aileron trainer. You say you can do ridiculous stunts with ease on the champ but is that at constant WOT and max throws (linkage on the inner-most hole of the control horn)? Coming from a slower flying champ, it may be a bit of a jump in speed alone, moving up to a bigger plane. Also the plane doesn't sound very durable which is something really nice to have if you're starting to learn ailerons. If I were you I'd reconsider and perhaps check out an e-flite apprentice pnp or a parkzone ultra micro t-28. But to answer your question, yes that should work fine together provided the zippy battery has a decent c-rating (bare minimum 15C for a 2200mAh battery, I would recommend 25C or better).

Hobbyking is dirt cheap but they have a checkered past when it comes to customer service, also some of the stuff they sell isn't of the best quality. Also pay attention to where you're ordering from, the global warehouse takes a while to ship here. As far as good deals go it really depends on what you're looking to buy.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Apr 03, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,550 Posts
Hobby King has a USA warehouse http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...obby_Warehouse in Tacoma , WA. Other good USA places to get things are : http://www.hobbypartz.com/ http://www.nitroplanes.com/ http://www.lazertoyz.com/shop/ Lazetoyz has an AC charger for $10 ( go to battery page and scroll down to bottom left of that page . http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V819427

One of the best flying planes EVER is this one http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemasters_216_ctg.htm comes in different sizes from 35 " wingspan to 12 FOOT wingspan ( the bigger they are , the better they fly - and they're easier to see from a distance ) . But I would recommend learning ailerons on something inexpensive ( possible crashes while learning ) like this one http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...g3sd5qve829ds5 funny looking but TOUGH and able to fly slowly - good for learning . But whatever you get , have someone who knows how help you set it up - correct CG , trim , dual rates , expo etc.
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
Thank you for the replies Rayne and Balsa...

When replacing the connectors on a battery to fit my stock e-flite esc, i am buying adapters right? I have no soldering experience.

Also, is there a decent brand that makes esc that will fit zippy's, rhinos, turnigy?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:49 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the replies Rayne and Balsa...

When replacing the connectors on a battery to fit my stock e-flite esc, i am buying adapters right? I have no soldering experience.

Also, is there a decent brand that makes esc that will fit zippy's, rhinos, turnigy?
Replacing the connectors would involve cutting off the one's currently on the batteries and soldering on new ones. If you're not comfortable doing that then simply buy this. They don't seem to sell them individually but it's only $3.

Most ESC's that I know of aside from E-flite ones are sold without any battery connectors. I saw a couple Hobbyking brand ESC's with XT60 connectors on them but I'm not sure if I'd trust them. If you want a good ESC with an XT60 connector on it you'll have to solder it on.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne