HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Discussion
PowerLab 8 won't auto discharge after charge (won't cycle)

Hi,

I have set up what I thought would be an automatic cycle of charge to 3.8V then discharge to 2.6V for my Thundersky LFP160AHA cells. It charges fine but then just sits there interminably until I stop the charger and initiate a discharge only, which it also does fine and stops when it gets to 2.6V. Below are screen grabs at the end of the charge phase. Can someone tell me why the PL8 won't automatically flip from charge to discharge when the 3.8V charge cutoff is reached? It's obviously something minor I have missed. I am using a modified copy of the Library 3 preset (Generic High Power) to allow charge and discharge at 20A.

Thanks, MW.
martinwinlow is offline Find More Posts by martinwinlow
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:00 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwinlow View Post
Hi,

I have set up what I thought would be an automatic cycle of charge to 3.8V then discharge to 2.6V for my Thundersky LFP160AHA cells. It charges fine but then just sits there interminably until I stop the charger and initiate a discharge only, which it also does fine and stops when it gets to 2.6V. Below are screen grabs at the end of the charge phase. Can someone tell me why the PL8 won't automatically flip from charge to discharge when the 3.8V charge cutoff is reached? It's obviously something minor I have missed. I am using a modified copy of the Library 3 preset (Generic High Power) to allow charge and discharge at 20A.

Thanks, MW.
Hi,

Can you email me a copy of the preset you are using? You can send it to howard@fmadirect.com. I will let you know what I find, thanks.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:06 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Martin,

There is a parameter to set the delay (for cooling) between charge and discharge. Have you checked that to see if it is set too high?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Have you set it to do more than one cycle?
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Martin,

There is a parameter to set the delay (for cooling) between charge and discharge. Have you checked that to see if it is set too high?

Glen
Hi - It is set to 30 mins and from the graph you can see the voltage is held at 3.8V for a lot longer... MW
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
Have you set it to do more than one cycle?
No, as I understand it, one cycle is one charge and then one discharge - the preset is configured to end on a discharge. MW
Last edited by martinwinlow; Apr 06, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:26 AM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Appears to be working now! I don't think I changed anything....?