Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:46 PM
Registered Model Boat Captain
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
235 Posts
Discussion
Long Term Water Exposure?

Question for the knowledge Base -

I plan to construct a couple more tow boats for the pond this summer. They will be strictly for scenery and I plan to leave out any running gear. I also plan to leave them in the water, outside 24/7 rain or shine. My current tows are typical construction using balsa and light ply coated with epoxy.

Any thoughts on construction detail mostly as it relates to leaving them in the water is concerned?

Jim
rcjimd is offline Find More Posts by rcjimd
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:50 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,099 Posts
just make em as watertight as you can and make sure to epoxy and paint them well. If one was to sink maybe have a buoy on a spool to act as a marker. I couldn't see them sinking though. Without running gear they shouldn't leak a drop.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:25 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,966 Posts
If there is no running gear there should be no leaks from below. If they are built as fully sealed boxes they should be watertight against rain as well. One of my club members, a couple of years ago, took his lifeboat to a show - no sailing, just exhibiting. There was a very sudden heavy shower half way through. Although there was a sizable coaming under the superstructure, he found a 1/2" of water in the bilges next time he looked. Rain coming down has considerable force, and bounces on landing.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02