HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:51 AM
Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,628 Posts
Discussion
It's time for the I can't think of anything but SEFF thread

I find myself getting into this mode earlier and earlier every year! Here it is, less than three weeks to go now and my whole thought process is consumed with thoughts of SEFF.

I've made a pretty good jump start on it this year thanks to the warmer than usual weather. The camper is all cleaned up, checked out, and ready to go. We already started packing a few things into it as well so we are not overwhelmed with things to do the last week before we head down, which is usually when I'm doing everything.

So excited and cannot wait! I think I am even more excited than ever before because my son is coming with me. Last year was the first year since we started coming that he did not get to come and we are making up for that this year!

Less than three weeks to go now!
FiremanBill is offline Find More Posts by FiremanBill
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:01 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Dude, Im with ya on that! Every day after or before work (depending on if Im flying days or nights) Im in the shop working on the camper, the trailer, or planes. As usual, it looks as if I will end up building a couple more planes after I arrive.

I still have to design and cut my combat plane for this year. I have the plan in my head, just have to put it into the computer and fire up the CNC. No time for testing, just build it and hope for the best.

Im trying to finish up my "big" super secret project for the year now. Just made the control surfaces last night, mounted the servos and put the motor mount on it this morning. I have an order in through Tower for some 4-40 Golden Rod, 1/4 scale control horns and some other little stuff. Once it arrives later this week it will be a mad dash to get this beast ready to fly.

I get my wisdom teeth pulled on Wed. So that will slow me down for a few hours. Im sure I'll end up out in the shop, hopped up on pain meds working on the plane.

The camper still is not running perfectly, but I'll get that dang carb tuned and it should be fine. Still have to mount a trailer hitch on it for pulling the trailer and wire up trailer lights for it.

Man, I dont have time to sit here typing this! I gotta get to work! I need to hire someone full time just to help me build stuff.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:46 AM
Lambda chi, Phi Kappa 326
Joined Jan 2012
27 Posts
THis will be my first ever SEFF! I have been modeling all my life ( mind im only 21) but now that i haveve some money to really peruse my hobby. I have been looking forward to this for 3 months and now its almost here. Driving in on Thurs. from Montgomery. I hope i get to see a few 1/4 scale planes! bringing lots of $$ for new toys. Im stir crazy for SEFF! 8 0 )
BIG RED
Big Red 326 is offline Find More Posts by Big Red 326
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:52 AM
Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 326 View Post
THis will be my first ever SEFF! I have been modeling all my life ( mind im only 21) but now that i haveve some money to really peruse my hobby. I have been looking forward to this for 3 months and now its almost here. Driving in on Thurs. from Montgomery. I hope i get to see a few 1/4 scale planes! bringing lots of $$ for new toys. Im stir crazy for SEFF! 8 0 )
BIG RED
You're going to love it! There will be at least 2 1/4 scale planes in my camp and plenty more all up and down the line. You'll see everything from micro flyers to planes so big you could swear people could fly in them!

Stop by the camp with the big red Pitts and say hi.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:36 PM
Captain - Team Hoser
Ottawa, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
Just got back from a 4 day trip to Vegas with a bunch of guys celebrating a friend's 40th birthday. The highlight was a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon. The "lowlight" was [content removed by the Las Vegas tourism board under the "What Happens In Vegas" clause]. With that trip behind me, I am now focused 100% on SEFF.

Pulled the camper out of storage early to get a number of little things fixed including the heater which I'm sure will come in handy on those chilly nights at SEFF. Also had new tires put on, sorted out some electrical issues, and fixed a leak. Everything went so well the camper was put back into storage last week. It will be back out soon though and loaded for the two day journey from Ottawa to Americus.

Like Bill, I am extremely excited that my 12 year old son, Thomas, will be joining me this year. It will be his first time. He said he is looking forward to walking up and down the flight line to see all of the planes. Sounds like he will fit in just fine :-)

We had a nice break in the weather here a couple of weeks ago and I was able to fly a few planes and also maiden a HK Vampire EDF that I recently bought. The first EDF I have had to point at the ground to land. It just keeps gliding otherwise. Also hopped up my Trojan T28 night flyer. It should do better with the wind that sometimes sticks around even into the evening. Lots of other planes to check over and likely will purchase an Icon for the lake while we're there.

Looking forward to another great week of SEFF!

Ian
ijames23 is offline Find More Posts by ijames23
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:53 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,299 Posts
My first SEFF also and I simply can't wait. Leaving the house at 3 AM on Wed morning so I should be there early afternoon. Next year I'm coming for the whole week.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:16 PM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
SEFF is only one week of the year... but the rest of the year is for getting ready for SEFF.
jpbrimmer is offline Find More Posts by jpbrimmer
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:41 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
386 Posts
Has anyone been to the field lately to see how it is shaping up? Anyone flown off the new Sport Flyer area on the right side?
Looking at the weather, it must be HOT already so I expect the grass is growing.
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:42 PM
Left, NO your other left!
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Jun 2008
789 Posts
I have been thinking of nothing but SEFF for a while now. (it started when I got home last year LOL)
I have pulled the camper around and dewinterized it. I checked all of the LP appliances. So far everything works. I need to check the water heater next. I had to fix a few marker lights. (corroded wires) I got my solar cell hooked up and working. I sealed the roof and replaced a vent gaurd.
All of my planes are done with the exception of one. I have about 1/2 hours worth of work to do to my night flyer. ( a little recovering from hanger rash) I have 3 that need to be remaidened as electrics. They have been flown with glow power. So it looks like I will be bringing 8 planes this year.
My truck is in shambles. It needs a good bit of work. It will make the trip as is. But there are a few things that I would like to get done first. We will have to see about that. I did install my wing rack and lights.
Bring it on, leaving for SEFF 2012 in 18 days.
-Andrew
weathervane is offline Find More Posts by weathervane
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:15 PM
Florissant, CO
Joined Nov 2003
96 Posts
I've been thinking about SEFF for the last four years! I came down for a day in 2008 just to watch while visiting the inlaws in Fayeteville. The whole day I kept telling myself that I need to come back do this someday. Well this is the year I finally got my act together. I'm bringing as may planes as I can fit into the two crates I made to ship. I have an RV rental set up and hope to get there late Wed. afternoon. Looking forward to a great time.
jcase is offline Find More Posts by jcase
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:28 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,369 Posts
Yep Im there with ya Bill. I've got SEFF brain going and the warm weather has really made it worse! I have no idea what I'll be bringing with me for planes yet but I'll have that worked out by the 20th for sure!

Can't wait to see you all.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:45 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
I have yet to make it to SEFF, but from what I have been reading, from last year's SEFF and this year's SEFF, it seems about day 1 of SEFF, People have SEFF on the mind from the beginning of one SEFF to the next SEFF. I may be wrong, but that is what it appears to me as an outsider.

Next year, provided I am alive, I have to make the pilgramage to SEFF.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:49 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
386 Posts
Conehead - you got to come on down ! Your ice cream won't melt and you'll see all the electric stuff you need to buy ! Bring some UM stuff and we'll fly that too. Louie
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:53 PM
N.F. Dawn Patrol
Jax. Fl.
Joined Jun 2006
286 Posts
I always hate sunday morning, packing up and having to leave.
Easyrydr is offline Find More Posts by Easyrydr
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:13 PM
Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrydr View Post
I always hate sunday morning, packing up and having to leave.
True, same here but we're usually planning next year before we get out to route 49 and that right turn headed back to Virginia. That keeps us busy and not thinking of having to leave RC heaven!