HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
I picked one of these up this week, haven't had time to turn it on even, how have people made out with these? It's weird that the thread died and not much has been said about this charger...

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:29 PM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
I'm still planning on getting one. I'm planning on converting my Seagull Harrier .46 to electric, and that's going to require a fairly serious battery that I won't want to wait on my x4 80 to charge.

Let us know how you like yours. I suspect it to be a great product if my x4 80 is any indication. I kind of wish I would have had time to get an x2 400 instead of an x4 80, but the x4 80 has been really useful and very solid.

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
I'm still planning on getting one. I'm planning on converting my Seagull Harrier .46 to electric, and that's going to require a fairly serious battery that I won't want to wait on my x4 80 to charge.

Let us know how you like yours. I suspect it to be a great product if my x4 80 is any indication. I kind of wish I would have had time to get an x2 400 instead of an x4 80, but the x4 80 has been really useful and very solid.

Brandon
I'll definitely report back. I also have a quad charger but it's only 50 watts per circuit, still an awesome charger for smaller lipos since you can do 4 at once. I may buy another quad, the x4 80 is an option, or may just get another thunder t6 multi like the one I already have. I'm moving from 4S 2650 sized or smaller batteries to 6S 3200 and up, so I figure the X2 400 is a good fit to whack the larger batteries. Hopefully it performs well...

Tom
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Definitely a good fit. I'm going to be moving up to 4400 5s batteries if I do the electric conversion on my plane, plus 5000 and 6000 3s if I get an RC truck, which is likely, so I'm thinking an x2 400 will serve me well for those. Between that and my x4 80, I feel as though I can charge pretty much anything 6s or under... lol The x4 80 is really, really nice for cycling the couple of NiCDs I have. Just start it and let it go for 2 or 3 days... lol Its also great for charging my 2200 3s batteries I use in my TwinStar, too. Love it!

If I ever need something bigger than 6s, I'll just buy an iCharger 1010 or something. I don't think I ever will, though, so I'm comfortable buying 6s chargers for now. I've learned long ago to not buy technology now based on what I might do in the future as it will be better and cheaper by the time I get there, and battery chargers are certainly advancing.

Brandon
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
Definitely a good fit. I'm going to be moving up to 4400 5s batteries if I do the electric conversion on my plane, plus 5000 and 6000 3s if I get an RC truck, which is likely, so I'm thinking an x2 400 will serve me well for those. Between that and my x4 80, I feel as though I can charge pretty much anything 6s or under... lol The x4 80 is really, really nice for cycling the couple of NiCDs I have. Just start it and let it go for 2 or 3 days... lol Its also great for charging my 2200 3s batteries I use in my TwinStar, too. Love it!

If I ever need something bigger than 6s, I'll just buy an iCharger 1010 or something. I don't think I ever will, though, so I'm comfortable buying 6s chargers for now. I've learned long ago to not buy technology now based on what I might do in the future as it will be better and cheaper by the time I get there, and battery chargers are certainly advancing.

Brandon
Everything I look at that is larger than 6S for me is 2 6S, like a trex 700 for example, or a 50cc equivalent electric plane. Both of them typically run 2 6S batt's in series, so I'm still safe with a 6S charger. For the time being though, I'm sticking with 6S or smaller aircraft as the economy of scales really kicks in quickly with those larger ships...

Tom
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
So far, So good

I haven't fully exercised this charger yet, but I did use it to charge and discharge a whole bunch of small and medium sized batteries. Seemed to handle things just fine. The storage function is a little iffy though, I hooked up some batteries that were not at storage voltage but were close, and it wouldn't bring them to storage, it just beeped and said done.

Tom
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Been charging 3S 2200mah batteries for my parkzone visionaire with it, 2 at a time, and it handles things like a champ so far... 6S won't happen until the weather improves...

Tom
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:55 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Nice! Thanks for keeping us updated, Tom. I can't wait to pick one of these up... mainly because it will be because I will have new toys with bigger batteries I need to charge quickly.

Brandon
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
I'll try to keep updating as I use the charger more, it's a quiet time of year for flying especially with the blizzard so it may not be until spring that I really get to exercise it! So far, so good though!

Tom