HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:14 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger 1/5 FM1-E Ducati EP 2.4GHz RTR -- Old Model?

Wanted to get my wife a present for her birthday as she loves sportbikes, but likely I will play with it more.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBRUA&P=7

Is this an older model? I was looking at it as it is a replica of an actual bike, not just a generic looking model such as this:

Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:32 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
That's a great bike but I would buy it from here. This is the place for all your RC bike needs http://2wheelhobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=891
dragbikebam is online now Find More Posts by dragbikebam
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPM 4 stroke Testing and Run In
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:36 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragbikebam View Post
That's a great bike but I would buy it from here. This is the place for all your RC bike needs http://2wheelhobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=891
It's cheaper threw Tower with the member coupons, free shipping and the ability to Easy Pay it across 3 months so the wife won't have a clue what it might be

My main concern is that it looks like a possible older model that is still carried.

The SB-5 is actually slightly cheaper, and brushless, but very plasticy and not as realistic looking to me.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:47 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2kGTP View Post
It's cheaper threw Tower with the member coupons, free shipping and the ability to Easy Pay it across 3 months so the wife won't have a clue what it might be

My main concern is that it looks like a possible older model that is still carried.

The SB-5 is actually slightly cheaper, and brushless, but very plasticy and not as realistic looking to me.
Yeah if you want the latest greatest the sb5 is the way to go. Its actually the toughest bike out there. The fm1e has a long history and was the standard for a long time. I still love the old bikes for just bashing around.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:48 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Yeah if you want the latest greatest the sb5 is the way to go. Its actually the toughest bike out there. The fm1e has a long history and was the standard for a long time. I still love the old bikes for just bashing around.
Sigh, then I also found a DXR500 that looks like it can wheelie on command....fun, durability & easy of use may outperform looks....

DXR500 looks like it can also take standard hardcase Lipos.....
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:03 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
That bike is OK for a beginner but the gyro to me takes all the fun out of it because it does the work for you and there is no challenge. It handles like brick too because of the weight. The pro version dx500 is a good bike but hard to find. Not a whole lot of info on that bike. SB5 BRUSHLESS is the best bang for your bucks and can be upgraded easily and affordable. All bikes will fit standard lipos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:08 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
That bike is OK for a beginner but the gyro to me takes all the fun out of it because it does the work for you and there is no challenge. It handles like brick too because of the weight. The pro version dx500 is a good bike but hard to find. Not a whole lot of info on that bike. SB5 BRUSHLESS is the best bang for your bucks and can be upgraded easily and affordable. All bikes will fit standard lipos.
Thanks....starting to narrow this down. Likely she will just roll her eyes, but more of a fun toy to get her out with the kids playing with some RC....

Beginner is fine, as my kids will likely want to try it out too....
Last edited by Y2kGTP; Apr 02, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:41 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
The dxr500 is fun and would be perfect for children
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:27 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
The dxr500 is fun and would be perfect for children
Thanks. I have a question in to Tower Hobbies if they will allow Easy Pay for the TT SB-5 bike, I could have it for 250$ shipped, no tax.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:10 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
I'm confused by this page. I was on Towers site again, and the image shows a 3900kv brushless motor, but not mentioned at all in the description. Is this perhaps an updated Brushless version of the bike?

It's listed on the tower home page as "NEW! Thunder Tiger 1/5 FM1-E Ducati EP 2.4GHz RTR"

If so, I think I found the bike I want. This is the same motor that comes in the SB-5 RTR.

http://towerhobbies.com/products/thu.../ttrd9029.html

Last edited by Y2kGTP; Apr 04, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:11 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Sigh:

Thank you for writing Tower Hobbies.

Thanks for pointing this error out. We have forwarded your comments to the Advertising department. This model is not brushless.

Thank you for writing Tower Hobbies. We appreciate your time and your business with us.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:30 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
Quote:
Sigh:

Thank you for writing Tower Hobbies.

Thanks for pointing this error out. We have forwarded your comments to the Advertising department. This model is not brushless.

Thank you for writing Tower Hobbies. We appreciate your time and your business with us.
have you checked these out http://www.shop.gotnitroonline.com/c...?categoryId=33 dave can make it rtr before he ships. these are out of italy...to me there the best quality all around but you gotta pay for it..only thing is, the sb5 pro is just as good as any of these bikes if not better in some ways when it comes to tunning and durability..its a hard choice but if you really want what everyone else is running the sb5 pro is the way to go..the Nuova Faor bikes look realistic but gotta spend about another $200-$300 to handle and feel as good as the sb5 pro.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dragbikebam; Apr 04, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
I was really looking for something that falls under towers easy pay.

My guess is she will try it once, and then sit on a shelf.

Trying to get her somewhat interested in rc.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:49 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
933 Posts
Quote:
I was really looking for something that falls under towers easy pay.

My guess is she will try it once, and then sit on a shelf.

Trying to get her somewhat interested in rc.
well if thats the case then i would get a gpv1 RTR about $150 on ebay..
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:54 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Are they that cheap now? I might just do that then.