HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:34 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
762 Posts
Discussion
JR 11x Zero - Modular version

Quite some time back, I was sorely annoyed that Spektrum has decided against dsmx modules for the JR 11x ZERO - modular edition. It wasn't that I wanted telemetry, but I wanted bind-n-fly as well as frequency hopping.

Well, I stuck with it, thinking one day I'd go with FrSky module, which has external telemetry display...

Anyway, for those still loyal to the principle of freedom behind modules, there's a new firmware out at the jrpropo for the XG11, DSX11 and... the 11x ZERO modular. Linked here.

I've seen some other forums indicate that it's only for certain versions, but looking at the release notes it seems to cover most if not all the 11x ZERO modular editions.

I've updated mine, and I must say there are LOTS of added features like servo speed adjust on all channels, tail curve for helis. Also, you no longer have to turn your radio off and on after selecting a new model, something that the horizon version doesn't suffer from.

If JR releases an external telemetry display and a DMSS module for the 11x, I can clearly see myself moving in that direction for my big expensive birds, and keeping my trusty DSM2 module for BNFs.

Modules all the way
rchelijc is offline Find More Posts by rchelijc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:47 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
771 Posts
Hi there i have the JR 11x ZERO NET-P111ES module based the firmware now is (Version:0001-0002)

i just saw the new release if i update now to Latest version (Version:0002-0000) ,
Can somebody tell me if i can still use the frsky module and stock DSMJ module?
All the previous functions of jr zero are still there? they just added DMSS ??

Sorry for my ignorance
Nettraptor is offline Find More Posts by Nettraptor
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:38 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
771 Posts
Also where and when RF-1131 2.4XP module gonna be available for order?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:48 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettraptor View Post
Hi there i have the JR 11x ZERO NET-P111ES module based the firmware now is (Version:0001-0002)

i just saw the new release if i update now to Latest version (Version:0002-0000) ,
Can somebody tell me if i can still use the frsky module and stock DSMJ module?
All the previous functions of jr zero are still there? they just added DMSS ??

Sorry for my ignorance
Mine is also the NET-p111ES.

I'm not sure if you can use the Frsky module or not, but I don't see why you can't.

All previous functions of JR zero are there and more functions added, but the firmware upgrade will reset all your models.

However, you can back up all your models to SD card, then copy them back to the radio after the upgrade. Then you need to rebind all your models to your all your machines.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:27 AM
SAB
United Kingdom, Inverclyde
Joined Jan 2007
30 Posts
Rchelijc,

The JR update site says some functionality is lost with this upgrade, such as tripple rates becoming dual rates - can you please comment on this.
I have the NET-p111ES version too & am considering this update.

Steve
SAB is offline Find More Posts by SAB
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:45 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
Rchelijc,

The JR update site says some functionality is lost with this upgrade, such as tripple rates becoming dual rates - can you please comment on this.
I have the NET-p111ES version too & am considering this update.

Steve
man you scared me there for a second.

I ran to my tx for a quick check - all 3-position switches work as designed. That is, I used monitor to view the output and shows low, mid, and high positions for all those assigned to a channel.

For my flaps (not assigned to a channel) all 3 positions work.

I may be wrong, but my guess is that with the rather poor english translation on the JR site, what they meant to say was that the XG11 and 11x ZERO and DSX11 has switches for particular functions built differently - one is a 2-pos switch, others are 3.

I've not found that it took ANY functions away from the 11x.

But it does introduce some functions that cannot be used by the 11x, eg a 'bind' function (scroll all the way left when in Tx Settings and you'll see it) which the XG11 can do, but the 11x can't. This basically puts the radio into bind mode. For us, it's the same old off, hold back button, switch on method.

Basically this new update is to synchronise the UI for the XG11, 11x, DSX11.

This means that all functions are added, but some may hardware specific ones are not usable by one radio or the other.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:54 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
762 Posts
For me at least, this update has been a breath of fresh air to the 11x. It almost feels like someone slapped a bunch of new features into this radio, and took away all the things i didn't like about it. I won't go into a 'what's new' list, because there are some there that I'm still wondering how/why I would use them.

But here's one awesome new function: stick calibration. Another that looks useful for me is the tail curve.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:16 PM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
771 Posts
i can confirm that frsky module and stock module works fine!
i just dont understand why when you open the TX is transmitting instead of prompt you for radio on or off
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:24 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
I'm a bit confused by this thread. I was subscribed to a thread which was discussing the 11x/DSX11 (I have the DSX11) and maybe this is it, but the first post in this thread was yesterday. I had a reply notification email, which makes me think it's the thread I saw before. If so, what happened to all the other posts?

There was talk of the upgrade adding DMSS but losing support for DSM2. Is that the case? My DSX11 is not modular and I only use it with DSM2.

Can I back up my current firmware before attempting the upgrade, and put things back how they were if it all goes horribly wrong?

Does performing the upgrade wipe the model memories?

Can someone confirm if it still forces you to answer a question about whether you want to turn off the RF every time you switch model memories? That feature annoys the hell out of me when I'm at an indoor fly-in with four or five different planes. It just turns it straight back on again anyway, so why ask?
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/dl/...&db_flg=eng_dl

says (among other things);

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR mangled English
However, kindly note that there are some difference between [11X ZERO(NET-P111FD/HD)] and [XG11] Here is the detail of difference between two trasnmitters.

Due to the exsitence of the switch or its switch configuration, there are certain limitation of the function.
·Each D/R Switch, GEAR Swicth are with 2position switch thence it would not operate as 3position Switch.

[Flight Mode Switch/Switch Select] (Refer to XG11 manual pages : P19.20.89-91)
Only applicable with RUDD SW / AUX2 SW / FMOD SW

[Switch Select Function](Refer to XG11 manual pages:P29.33.35.42.43.47.55.63.79-81.)
·D/R Switch ·GEAR Switch 2Position select
Modulation Selectable Function

[Modulation Selectable] DMSS / DSM / SPCM / PPM9 / PPM8

* Under "DSM" or "PPM" modulation, follwoing function cannot be used.
·BIND & RANGE ·TELEMETRY ·FAIL SAFE

* Under "SPCM" modulation, follwoing function cannot be used.
·BIND & RANGE ·TELEMETRY

However, kindly note that there are some difference between[DSX11(NET-P121FD/HD)]and[XG11]

Due to the exsitence of the switch or its switch configuration, there are certain limitation of the function.

[Flight Mode Switch/Switch Select](Refer to XG11 manual pages : P19.20.89-91)
Only applicable with RUDD SW / AUX2 SW / FMOD SW

[Switch Select Function](Refer to XG11 manual pages:P29.33.35.42.43.47.55.63.79-81.)
Modulation select will only applicable on "DSM"

* Following function cannot be used
·BIND & RANGE ·TELEMETRY ·FAIL SAFE
A lot of that is unclear, but it seems pretty clear about the switches. Have you confirmed all three rates positions for ailerons and rudder and flaps actually work on the plane, rchelijc?
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:57 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/dl/...&db_flg=eng_dl

says (among other things);

A lot of that is unclear, but it seems pretty clear about the switches. Have you confirmed all three rates positions for ailerons and rudder and flaps actually work on the plane, rchelijc?
Will go home and check on the planes itself.

I don't see why it wouldn't work if the Monitor function shows it working.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:02 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
I'm a bit confused by this thread. I was subscribed to a thread which was discussing the 11x/DSX11 (I have the DSX11) and maybe this is it, but the first post in this thread was yesterday. I had a reply notification email, which makes me think it's the thread I saw before. If so, what happened to all the other posts?

There was talk of the upgrade adding DMSS but losing support for DSM2. Is that the case? My DSX11 is not modular and I only use it with DSM2.

Can I back up my current firmware before attempting the upgrade, and put things back how they were if it all goes horribly wrong?

Does performing the upgrade wipe the model memories?

Can someone confirm if it still forces you to answer a question about whether you want to turn off the RF every time you switch model memories? That feature annoys the hell out of me when I'm at an indoor fly-in with four or five different planes. It just turns it straight back on again anyway, so why ask?
Yes the first post is yesterday/ day before - I started this thread. As you can probably tell, there are close to zero threads worldwide that are in English that support the 00002 update for 11X Zero users.

You can't add DMSS to a DSM2 device - it's hardware driven I'm sure.

However, you can upgrade the transmitter which is what this firmware does. The transmission protocol, DMSS/DSM2/FrSky/Futaba/Corona/etc if supported before as a module, shouldn't matter.

If yours is NON-modular - please check to see if your serial no. matches the list in the jrpropo site for the update.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:57 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
771 Posts
does anybody know with the new firmware , how i close the radio while i have the tx on ?
Red light, no blue light
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettraptor View Post
does anybody know with the new firmware , how i close the radio while i have the tx on ?
Red light, no blue light
You can not close it anymore!
The transmitter it self manage that when needed, for example when you select model but after the selection the radio starts automatically.

I really missed that functionality too
geokgeok is offline Find More Posts by geokgeok
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:41 PM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
762 Posts
Ok confirmed that triple 'dual rates' work on real testing with existing planes.

What was a bigger surprise (not sure why i didnt see it before) is that there are now FOUR pages for D/R Expo function. If I recall correctly you can mix in up to 8 different dual rates spread over 4 pages, set the time delay for moving from any one rate to another rate, and a last page that icant remember what it does.

Yes, I too miss the turning off and on 'feature' when selecting a new model