HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:11 AM
brisbane
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
Discussion
GPS drops out every flight ?

HI
I have the HK tiny osd and it great untill the gps goes "no signal" in flight. It's happy on the ground and for a few minute the fails. I have a 900mh 200ma Tx and had no problems with that untill now, still have good picture and enough range for me just like the gps to keep working.
Does the video Tx and gps antanna's need to be spaced far apart or gps away from anything? Any thoughts?
Rob
onlyifamppowered is offline Find More Posts by onlyifamppowered
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:11 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,558 Posts
Check if your OSD has a bad GPS connector on the circuit board. The same thing happened to me on my first CE OSD.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:31 AM
brisbane
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply, will do
Rob
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:22 AM
out of focus
New Zealand, Gisborne, Gisborne District
Joined Jul 2009
171 Posts
Is the VTx close to the GPS recievere? I believe 900Mhz is pretty close to the GPS band. I've had my 1.2 ghz cause problems with my GPS.
Garbach is offline Find More Posts by Garbach
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:47 AM
brisbane
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
HI
Thanks for the reply. I have checked and rechecked all connections, all is well. I will try putting the GPS all the way out on a wingtip and maybe put the Vtx antanna as far away as I can. Not sure why 900Mhz would interfear with the gps but I will try anything. Is 5.8 better the 900 Mhz for not affecting the gps. I would like the gps to keep working 100% of the time as I like the return home arrow.
Rob
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:36 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Hi!

I also have a HK GPS. I have no problem with the 2.4GHz RC link, the 5.8GHz Video TX or even putting the GPS close to the ESC but the other day I added a small cam to record the flight (This one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html) and used a lot of time to figure out that it was completely jamming the GPS even if it was 20cm from it.

My conclusion is that any electronics might interfere with the GPS, even something without radio capabilities. What is strange in your case is that it actually works on the ground. In my case even on the ground I was getting problems.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Franck
ffranck is offline Find More Posts by ffranck
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,771 Posts
Try a ferrite choke on the GPS signal lines. I have several OSD, some with ferrite and others without. The ones with ferrites are reliable, the ones without have been a pita.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:50 AM
brisbane
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
HI
I will add a ferrite and space everything and see how it goes.
I am not keen to push out too far untill I get the gps working 100%. Need a better spotter too as my current one says he can not see the model at 300m !!!!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyifamppowered View Post
HI
I will add a ferrite and space everything and see how it goes.
I am not keen to push out too far untill I get the gps working 100%. Need a better spotter too as my current one says he can not see the model at 300m !!!!
hehe, I am not surprised, when testing my setup LOS I am not really able to fly further than 250m. Anyway I think that the most important thing is to know the landmarks in the area so that you can come back even if the GPS fails :-)
ffranck is offline Find More Posts by ffranck