HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:19 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2011
294 Posts
Discussion
Motor for Fast Funjet ?

I am looking for the fastest motor I can put on my funjet with a 4s setup (2200mAh 40c), I am using an 80 amp esc with 100 amp burst. Currently running this setup with Turnigy 2350 motor with 6x4 prop and very happy with the speed and performance,
SO WHICH MOTOR DO YOU RECOMMEND ?
kayvannouri is offline Find More Posts by kayvannouri
Last edited by kayvannouri; Apr 02, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:57 AM
London
Joined Jul 2003
897 Posts
Why don't you just change the prop?
The 4" pitch will be holding your speed back and the 6" diameter eating power.

Try the APC 5.25 x 6.25. That should take you from your 100mph to 150mph with less power. If you need even more speed, just try a motor within your budget with a higher Kv say 2800Kv which could get you about 180+mph at 1kW (same prop), but you'll only get 90 seconds or so on full power - depending on the airframe.

To be honest, you'd be better off posting this on the foamie forum
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:38 AM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Search for tue funjet thread. Tons of info on setups. How fast do you want to go? It takes monster power to make these things fast.
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2011
294 Posts
good idea, I gotta change the prop, but where can I get APC 5.25 x 6.25 ???
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:59 AM
London
Joined Jul 2003
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayvannouri View Post
From your LHS or direct from APC
http://www.apcprop.com/v/index.html
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
294 Posts
got it
thanks
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,444 Posts
If you want to go real fast, cut up the FunJet and use it for insulation. The get yourself something made of Kevlar
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Quote:
That would be much faster in a f5d airframe, but the funjet is much draggier. Check the funjet thread, most feel that the smaller props don't provide enough thrust in high power setups. The really fast guys are running 7" props, but you'll need a much larger controller and packs.

How many amps are you drawing now?
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
294 Posts
i would say about 68 amp
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:49 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,527 Posts
kay - I'm running a Scorpion HK2221-8 on 3S with a 5.2x5.2 about "70ampsWOT static" and it is screaming fun with a stock airframe. Batts don't last to long though
It is a thumb duster offer for my fast planes
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
294 Posts
haha, thats a very nice motor and expensive !
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:54 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,277 Posts
Quote:
haha, thats a very nice motor and expensive !
Speed costs $$$$. Especially trying to push such a draggy airframe though the air. Sometimes you will need near double the power just to add another 20mph once you start seeing 120mph+ speeds. This is not an exact example, just making a point.

Expensive power system and heap air frame....or....expensive air frame and budget power system for the speed. It' when you put both quality AF and PS together when things get exciting
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:33 PM
186mph Funjet Ultra
nieuw vennep, the netherlands
Joined Feb 2010
513 Posts
I fly with a Turnigy T3648-1450 on 4S with a APC7x10 sport,~94A static, ~65A inflight.
The flight time at WOT will be around 100sec's but speed will be around 150mph.
You can also stuff a 4S 3300 LiPo in it, then you have >2min WOT.
For me thats long anough.

Grtz René

ps you will need nose weight with that lite 2200 4S pack!
E-speed buff is offline Find More Posts by E-speed buff
Last edited by E-speed buff; Apr 03, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:37 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Here is something I came across in one of the forums about the " the cubic power-to-airspeed rule"
Something to think about next time we consider a power system for our plane

""" the problem with getting fast through the air.

The cubic law (like when calculating volume, then you have to multiply lenght x width x height, and for a cube that's just a^3 with all three sides equal to a, that is where the name cubic comes from) can easily be understood as follows - I will have to do a little bit of basic physics first:

If you lift an object of mass m up (against gravity) you have a constant force (F = m x g, g=gravitational acceleration, value is around 10 on earth). To lift it up, say, 10 meters, you can calculate the necessary work W = energy E = m x g x h (energy ist just stored work, or the potential to do some work).
Power is defined as energy divided by the time required to do it. You can do the same work slower or faster, in the absence of any drag forces, the work will be the same - but the required power is rising with the velocity: The faster you do something, the more power you need. In the example lifting an object, the power needed will be rising with the velocity, and since you will be up quicker, this effect cancels with the decreased time, and work/energy is the same.
So just doing work against the SAME force quicker needs more power, it rises linearly with the velocity.

Now comes air drag: The force needed to overcome air drag, unsurprisingly, rises with the velocity. So, unlike the gravitational force, it will not be the same regardless how fast you move. The extra-bad news is now that - as you know already - drag resistance not only gets bigger, it gets bigger with the square of the velocity. So twice the speed, 4 times the air drag.

Just from doing something faster we already had a linear dependency on speed (that factor ist often forgotten), and now we have to add a square law with the drag force - in total velocity comes in threefold, and that might be called a cubic law.

Easiest to see is : you want to go twice as fast you need 2 x 2 x 2 = 8 times the power. And that is true in the real world, e.g. a Funjet needs just 100W to go 100km/h, but it will take 800W to get it up to 200km/h

A law of diminishing returns, indeed

cheers """""
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:31 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
Here is something I came across in one of the forums about the " the cubic power-to-airspeed rule"
Something to think about next time we consider a power system for our plane

""" the problem with getting fast through the air.

The cubic law (like when calculating volume, then you have to multiply lenght x width x height, and for a cube that's just a^3 with all three sides equal to a, that is where the name cubic comes from) can easily be understood as follows - I will have to do a little bit of basic physics first:

If you lift an object of mass m up (against gravity) you have a constant force (F = m x g, g=gravitational acceleration, value is around 10 on earth). To lift it up, say, 10 meters, you can calculate the necessary work W = energy E = m x g x h (energy ist just stored work, or the potential to do some work).
Power is defined as energy divided by the time required to do it. You can do the same work slower or faster, in the absence of any drag forces, the work will be the same - but the required power is rising with the velocity: The faster you do something, the more power you need. In the example lifting an object, the power needed will be rising with the velocity, and since you will be up quicker, this effect cancels with the decreased time, and work/energy is the same.
So just doing work against the SAME force quicker needs more power, it rises linearly with the velocity.

Now comes air drag: The force needed to overcome air drag, unsurprisingly, rises with the velocity. So, unlike the gravitational force, it will not be the same regardless how fast you move. The extra-bad news iOs now that - as you know already - drag resistance not only gets bigger, it gets bigger with the square of the velocity. So twice the speed, 4 times the air drag.

Just from doing something faster we already had a linear dependency on speed (that factor ist often forgotten), and now we have to add a square law with the drag force - in total velocity comes in threefold, and that might be called a cubic law.

Easiest to see is : you want to go twice as fast you need 2 x 2 x 2 = 8 times the power. And that is true in the real world, e.g. a Funjet needs just 100W to go 100km/h, but it will take 800W to get it up to 200km/h

A law of diminishing returns, indeed

cheers """""
That's what I said in post #12.........................sorta
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme