HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
Discussion
Test flew my Cox RR1 today - video

I have a newly acquired RR1, 1957 build, that had been completely overhauled before it was given to me. It's a beautiful little .049 that surprised me when I bench ran it. I had read that Cox abandoned the RR1 because for the price difference, it wasn't much faster than a Babe Bee. I don't know about the rest of them, but this one runs really smooth at nearly 20,000 RPM on the test bench. That's with a regular head, 25% nitro and a 5.25x4 Top Flite prop.

I mounted it on my Li'l Satan today with a 5.5x3 Master Airscrew and let it rip. And it really hauls ass, much better than a hopped up Black Widow. This engine pulls through the climb into a loop like it didn't even notice, no bogging at all.

It's a perfect match for the Satan airframe, I think I've found my new fgavorite engine, at least for that plane. At that speed I only got 1:30 run time though. I might have to rig up an extra fuel supply to get another couple of minutes out of it. Maybe a small balloon feeding the main tank will work.

Anyway, here's a video. Click full screen if you can and watch it scream on 35' lines.
http://youtu.be/wXL2t4eKn-I?hd=1
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:58 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
That was a nice engine run. I think I counted 9 inside loops during that flight. Do you ever have problems with too much friction on the lines after putting that many twists into them? I was waiting for some outside loops to unwind them. Also, I'm impressed that the neighbors don't give you any grief flying that close to their homes. I flew a Ringmaster Jr. as a kid at the local school yard a few times with an un-muffled Fox .15 without a problem, but I somehow doubt I could get away with that today.

Jim
GliderJim is online now Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim View Post
That was a nice engine run. I think I counted 9 inside loops during that flight. Do you ever have problems with too much friction on the lines after putting that many twists into them? I was waiting for some outside loops to unwind them. Also, I'm impressed that the neighbors don't give you any grief flying that close to their homes. I flew a Ringmaster Jr. as a kid at the local school yard a few times with an un-muffled Fox .15 without a problem, but I somehow doubt I could get away with that today.

Jim
That's a church yard across from my house. The pastor asks me to do exhibitions for the daycare kids and their parents. The neighbors all think I'm cool.
The 30lb test Spyderwire is pretty slick, I can't feel any friction. I count 10, which is about 5 more than most people I talk to recommend . When I got home, I kicked myself realizing I didn't do any outside loops. I should have at least unwound the lines. I think it would have done some outsiders effortlessly, it was really keeping the lines tight. But it's Spring, I'm still re-tuning my reflexes, so I'll make it more daring as I get back in the groove.
Last edited by RknRusty; Apr 01, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Looks like fun, Rusty. Well done once again. It's good to see one of those neat engines used for something besides a paper weight. Fly 'em.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:56 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,985 Posts
Improved flying skills ! good for you.
Suggest longer lines.. and an alternate fuel tank/supply, one just starts getting 'into it' and the pitifully short duration stops it short.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:26 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,264 Posts
Rr1

Never seen an RR1 that ran bad. It was never compared to a Babe Bee. The TD replaced it and put all the rest of 1/2A engines into outdated hunks.
Dan
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:45 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
723 Posts
Cool vidio Rusty ! Always enjoy your input here on R/C groups and the Cox forum. Wish more flyers would post , might inspire use old controline flyers to do the roundy round again.RR1 ... First time I've seen one run . Cool!!!

Mike1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
Hey, thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. That was fun.

Bare, I hate those 90 second runs too, but it was just a shakedown test flight. I have bladders on my other planes, so it's all right, okay. I flew my Jumpin Bean/Medallion for a 10 minute flight on Saturday. That was enough. The Stuntman holds up to 60cc, it looks like a bratwurst hanging under the wing(I should get some of those truck balls for it). It'll fly for freakin ever, so I can get my rocks off when I need to. When I get the winter rust knocked off I'll post some wilder exhibitions.

Dan I stand corrected, I could have sworn I read that comparison to the Babe Bee on mh-aerotools.de, but I just checked and it did not say that. Maybe I dreamed it. In any case I am impressed with the little machine, it really flies and is a perfect power plant for the Satan. I do need to get that muffler off of it.

Stay tuned, the season is just beginning. I'm ordering a Baby Flite Streak tomorrow.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:41 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,985 Posts
I've found that a 6 mins duration is pretty well to the limits of my attention span :-)

Have you seen this plans repository? There are thousands of plans, but I've selected out only controline 'sports'
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/browse_pl...lts.asp?page=1
As these are pdf format, just print them out 'tiled' at whatever scale you deem appropriate.
Beyond the nuisance taping together of tiled pages .. 's wunderful.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
I've found that a 6 mins duration is pretty well to the limits of my attention span :-)

Have you seen this plans repository? There are thousands of plans, but I've selected out only controline 'sports'
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/browse_pl...lts.asp?page=1
As these are pdf format, just print them out 'tiled' at whatever scale you deem appropriate.
Beyond the nuisance taping together of tiled pages .. 's wunderful.
Bookmarked, thanks Bare.I had never scratch built until the Satan came along and the old kit was dried up, brittle and worthless except for the plans.
Now I that know I can do it I'll pick one of those plans and give it another go. I'm working on a 18" flying wing right now, and just ordered a Baby Flightstreak to take over for the tired Bean. Poor thing took a lot of pounding early in its life. I have a TD .051 ready for the Streak. Have you got an opinion on the Flightstreak?

Building and flying, it's going to be a good summer. Even better if I can get the feeling back in my damn hands.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:27 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
I have a Baby Flight Streak with a TD .049 on it. It's a very light model with light wood and it flies very well. It's going to be a bit more delicate than the other models you've been flying. think I last flew mine with 42' .008 lines.
GliderJim is online now Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined May 2010
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim View Post
I have a Baby Flight Streak with a TD .049 on it. It's a very light model with light wood and it flies very well. It's going to be a bit more delicate than the other models you've been flying. think I last flew mine with 42' .008 lines.
Hmmm, more delicate, meaning fragile I presume. Well, no problem, I just won't let it hit the ground... yeah, that's it. I shoulda thought of that before!

My usual small field restricts me to 35', but I kind of like speed anyway. I'm expecting similar speed the RR1-Li'l Satan combo, maybe a bit faster. It wasn't even close to too fast for me, so I should be okay.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:37 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,985 Posts
oops
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,985 Posts
Rusty:
perhaps you should consider buying one of Jeff Dawson's 'Sonic Chickens' for 1/2 a :-) these are truly exquisitely assembled battle axes.
THE state of the art in 1/2 a combat flying, astoundingly capable as a solo toy as well.
No Way I could equal his skill / craftsmanship even if only cuz he's built hundreds of them and has it down to a precise art.
Here: is an article showing one apart / being built.
http://www.flyinglines.org/buzz.sonicchicken.html
Total waste of time imo though, just buy one assembled as the skilled assembly is pretty well free and..of proven perfect quality.
IIRC he sells the ready to fly version for $40 + $10 freight... or is it 50 + 10!? no matter.. it's a Huge bargain buy..
Genuinely recommended, even on a 'decent' TD it will give serious joy.
ps: jeff's email is contained within the flying lines site.. http://www.flyinglines.org/Combat.html
Last edited by Bare; Apr 03, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 01:30 PM
USA, MD, Waldorf
Joined Apr 2009
27 Posts
Thanks for SHARING!!!!!

I enjoyed the video and the work. I am an 55 year old .049 user. I love the sound.
victoriad is offline Find More Posts by victoriad