HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:30 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
Discussion
how many variations of edge 540's are there?

i have seen many different types of edge 540's from different manufacturers (radio control) and while in most cases the more expensive the model, the more true to scale like appearance it is, thats not ALWAYS the case.

my lack of knowledge on these planes and seeing that even some foamie edge 540's have a better scale like appearance than much more expensive ones have forced me to throw this thread out here in hopes someone could clarify this.

ive begun to take notice that something as simple as a spinner can make or break a model edge 540. some spinners are a tad short which to me kills the look. below are some photos i snagged from around the net. (the 1st 540 has a short spinner which IMO kills the look drastically) the rest have longer spinners and look great to me!

note: the mx2 blue isnt an edge 540 i know lol but still look how sexy it looks with a longer spinner and that 3 blade prop.

is there a shop that has scale spinners?
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
Last edited by out of stock; Apr 01, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:46 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
this is an MX2, not an Edge...

...I'd also separate "540" being used alone, this is just a size of engine and is in the name of a few aircraft... like the Slick 540.

As for spinners... TruTurn have some pretty cool variations of spinners, but you're right, it's not easy to get a very scale spinner. Also note that they're more fraught with peril, if they're spinning off center in any way they're more likely to get thrown. In a way, it's harder to get longer spinners as they're more impractical for general use.

Love the avatar btw.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Last edited by theKM; Apr 01, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
[QUOTE=theKM;21208307]this is an MX2, not an Edge...

haha yeah i like i said above i knew it wasnt an edge 540 but just so you could see how gorgeous it looks.

yeah thats my motto "dont panic" (its from a movie called "the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy") thanks!

i hope to find a spinner long enough
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
btw i have the phoenix models edge 540 1.20. the spinner included is

Diameter: 2.75" (70mm)
Length: 3.3" (83mm)

i want a slightly longer spinner to give it that serious sport look!

(this isnt exactly my photo because my plane is in transit)
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:10 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
[QUOTE=out of stock;21208595]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
this is an MX2, not an Edge...

haha yeah i like i said above i knew it wasnt an edge 540 but just so you could see how gorgeous it looks.

yeah thats my motto "dont panic" (its from a movie called "the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy") thanks!

i hope to find a spinner long enough
oh dear... you didn't just say that "don't panic" is from the movie...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
yez sir! lol

it fits rather well for rc-ing!
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:37 PM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
book
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrieri View Post
book
Book?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:51 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post
Book?
A book is a rectangle, filled with pices of paper called pages. You then read the pages. It also requires no electricity, and each page lods instantly.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
A book is a rectangle, filled with pices of paper called pages. You then read the pages. It also requires no electricity, and each page lods instantly.
[Yawn] yea
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
$1200 for a custom made Spinner. How charming.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
Does anyone know if its possible to bump up a size on a spinner? I.e my default size is 2.75 in dia and 3.3 in length. Truturn charges $1200 for a custom Spinner. They have a 3" dia 3.5 length Spinner that could make a difference. My goal here is a longer Spinner without paying $1200. I've searched and searched and so far I'm getting nowhere. Someone above told me "book" am i missing something? I really don't understand the slang here lol. Even if your answers arnt relevant, I'm greatful. Laters
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:12 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
How good are you with CAD programs? You could design your own and have it made thru Shapeways.com. I've designed many parts for the UM/UMX planes, and have been very satisfied with the accuracy and quality. Just the spinner alone (2.75 x 3.3, no backing plate) would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe $15. Just a ballpark guess.

And the "book" quote was prob referring to the original book "hitchhikers guide to the galaxy". lol
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Back to your first post

Actually some of the more expensive RC models deviate most from the scale outline.

RC designers wild make changes through out the airframe to provide better flight performance. IMAC alows a 10% variation from the real aircraft.

Location of wing, length of fuslage, size and location of rudder and elevator, airfoils, size and location of conopy are all things that are changed in the better flying rc models.

Good luck with the long spinner

Spinner size can be changed but it needs to fit the front of the cowl to look right, to big will look much worse that one not being long enough.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:43 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post
Book?
The book is much better than the movie. You should read it. I read it a few times, and the movie was a big disappointment in comparison.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f