HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Discussion
Help me with purchasing sail plane

Hello Folks,
I do not have whole lot of experience flying RC planes so please bear with me if I put up a stupid question.

I am looking to get a sail plane so I could go to near by parks with my little one and have some fun flying a RC plane. I have decided to get a sail plane rather then other things thinking they might be more stable and give more fly time as I am a beginner.

I have narrowed my hunt to two sail planes, can someone educate me and help me do a comparison of it.

one is
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...185-24ghz.html

the other is

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F_Mode_1_.html

Can anyone point out any major differences in them? and comment on which one is better?

Thanks,
sahil80 is offline Find More Posts by sahil80
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
973 Posts
If you can already fly (and so won't be going nose in so as to need a bixler-type pusher), your best plane would be a Radian 1.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:35 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Both of those planes are very similar - the main difference I can see is the Sky Climber is larger with a lower wing loading, which gives it a little higher mark in my book for the same or similar price.

I have a larger version of the Dynam Sonic, the Diamond 2500, which is very nice. I also have a Parkzone Radian that alibongo mentioned, and I would tend to agree with him that it would probably be a better starter plane, as it is well proven, simpler (no ailerons), and easy to fly (and spare parts are readily available).

But, with any of these, it would be best to find someone to help with the first flights, as sailplanes, even though they are generally slow and easy, do have their quirks that can frustrate beginner flyers.

Good luck with your hunt.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:38 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
"do not have whole lot of experience flying RC planes" ???

Perhaps you could elaborate on your experience a bit more so we can give suitable recommendations. For instance, have you ever actually flown any RC fixed wing aircraft successfully at all? meaning, have you successfully launched/ ROG, flown in a controlled manner and then landed without crashing? If so, which models have you flown successfully? If not, had you ever successfully controlled any RC fixed wing aircraft, how long and were you able to land the model intact? Help us so we can help you.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,105 Posts
Just a note about the 2nd link, the RTF model comes with a mode 1 transmitter and since you're in the USA, you probably wish to go with a mode 2. Although the ad states you can convert it to mode 2, I doubt you really want to do surgery on a brand new transmitter. Just something to keep in mind.
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:36 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
I always recommend a foam glider that has the motor above and behind the wing (in a "pusher" arrangement) as a first buy. When the inevitable nose-in crash occurs, the motor and prop assembly is safe from harm. The Multiplex EasyStar is the standard of that type, but there are many similar eastern copies (and at Hobby King)...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibongo View Post
If you can already fly (and so won't be going nose in so as to need a bixler-type pusher), your best plane would be a Radian 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
Both of those planes are very similar - the main difference I can see is the Sky Climber is larger with a lower wing loading, which gives it a little higher mark in my book for the same or similar price.

I have a larger version of the Dynam Sonic, the Diamond 2500, which is very nice. I also have a Parkzone Radian that alibongo mentioned, and I would tend to agree with him that it would probably be a better starter plane, as it is well proven, simpler (no ailerons), and easy to fly (and spare parts are readily available).

But, with any of these, it would be best to find someone to help with the first flights, as sailplanes, even though they are generally slow and easy, do have their quirks that can frustrate beginner flyers.

Good luck with your hunt.
Are you guys talking about Parkzone Radian pro ? or Radian 1 is something else? I cannot seem to find it. Can you link me to the product?

Parkzone Radian Pro seems to be out of budget at $250 - I am not looking to spend more then $180 at this point
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Perhaps you could elaborate on your experience a bit more so we can give suitable recommendations. For instance, have you ever actually flown any RC fixed wing aircraft successfully at all? meaning, have you successfully launched/ ROG, flown in a controlled manner and then landed without crashing? If so, which models have you flown successfully? If not, had you ever successfully controlled any RC fixed wing aircraft, how long and were you able to land the model intact? Help us so we can help you.
Oh I am a novice, sorry - I have not flown any RC fixed plane thing, I have had experience of flying some Helis but no planes! --
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofish View Post
Just a note about the 2nd link, the RTF model comes with a mode 1 transmitter and since you're in the USA, you probably wish to go with a mode 2. Although the ad states you can convert it to mode 2, I doubt you really want to do surgery on a brand new transmitter. Just something to keep in mind.
Hey - but if you check the last image of the product it has a switch to make it mode 2- isn't it enough? or do I will still need to do some engineering on it?

see this image
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0-8%281%29.jpg
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:37 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I can't comment on the planes but I do know from experience that once either company is sold out on replacement parts, thats it!, they are OUT forever (Nitroplanes at least, Hobby King a little better), and if you are a beginner learning on your own, you will need replacement parts, so don't hold your breath waiting.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:46 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil80 View Post
Are you guys talking about Parkzone Radian pro ? or Radian 1 is something else? I cannot seem to find it. Can you link me to the product?
The original Radian - here's a huge thread on it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922599
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
The original Radian - here's a huge thread on it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922599
Damn, thats a huge thread lol.

Its the same Radian that I linked and at this price ($250) its out of my budget
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:06 AM
Stantheman
LaGrange, Ky.
Joined May 2004
431 Posts
Check out the Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos......
Stantheman is offline Find More Posts by Stantheman
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stantheman View Post
Check out the Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos......
Yeah but its still in pre-order state- is there any ETA for this?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:45 AM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil80 View Post
Damn, thats a huge thread lol.

Its the same Radian that I linked and at this price ($250) its out of my budget
If you have your own TX/RX than the RADIAN 1 is only about $159. The PRO is about $185.
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4775

Or
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ5475

Kevin
kunclebuc is offline Find More Posts by kunclebuc