SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
Discussion
Slash 4x4 SVU with VXL-3s

So I got an ultimate and got it out there. On the second battery the ESC started smoking. Traxxas is going to repair it which is good but here is my question. I am new to these trucks and I swear I don't remember the truck not rolling when pushed by hand, but since that smoke incident, I cannot push the truck by hand. It just skids. When I spin the rear wheels, two rear wheels spin and same for front.

Is my motor shot or locked up too? Or is this normal?

Thanks for any advice or help you can offer!
KiTCyclic is offline Find More Posts by KiTCyclic
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
I just smoked my esc saturday but I am not sure about this, ponder and research this I will
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
after removing the motor I was able to turn it with a pair of pliers. It is slowly loosening back up, what does this indicate?
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:52 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I would bet that the reason the ESC fried was the motor seizing up, not the other way around.

Did it get wet? I would flush the motor with electrical cleaner and oil the bearings to see if that helps. If it doesn't, its possible that the rotor came apart and is rubbing on the stator. If its the latter, the motor is likely 100% toast.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I would bet that the reason the ESC fried was the motor seizing up, not the other way around.

Did it get wet? I would flush the motor with electrical cleaner and oil the bearings to see if that helps. If it doesn't, its possible that the rotor came apart and is rubbing on the stator. If its the latter, the motor is likely 100% toast.
No water, but it was a 3s battery. Only the second run ever though! I will just send the motor back this time instead of tearing it down since it is under warranty. I just wish I would have packaged it with the ESC when I sent it!

I ordered a MMP and Novak 6.5t to replace these two with but I'm guessing 3s is not a good idea for the stock setup?

Thanks for your reply.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:52 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
as long as you replace your one plastic gear in the trans and convert to robinson racing you should be good for a little while
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlererad3 View Post
as long as you replace your one plastic gear in the trans and convert to robinson racing you should be good for a little while
The plastic gear has no issues that I can tell nor does it show signs.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:40 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTCyclic View Post
The plastic gear has no issues that I can tell nor does it show signs.
it will after some 3s time...plastic gears plus metal gears plus 3s equals smoked plastic
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
seriously reconsidering these damn 3s batteries. Anyone wanna help me make the decision to get rid of the 3s. I have ran one cycle on one and the other one has never been ran. And I got a bad motor, bad ESC, people talking of stripped gears, all for a lil adrenaline!
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:38 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
okay theres nothing wrong with 3s just bear in mind stock the truck is built to somewhat handle it because they are not bulletproof for 3s if you want bulletproof 3s capability be prepared to put in a little wrench time and the rewards are tremendous