HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:15 PM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Discussion
Larger charger and charge in parallel, or 4-port charger individually?

Hi all,

I am probably going to purchase a new charger in the next couple of weeks. I currently have two iMax B6 copies that have been awesome for as cheap as they were, but I'm ready to step it up a bit. Plus I have $130 to spend on eBay.

Right now I'm mostly flying a TwinStar with 3s 2200mAh batteries and two or three RTF micros. The micros I just charge on the 4-port Eflite 1S charger. I've got 4 batteries for the TwinStar I cycle through.

I'm debating between getting one of the new Hitec X2 400 chargers that is 800w total and charging my packs in parallel (2-4 at a time, depending... I usually charge at 2C) or getting a HItec x4 80 that can essentially do the same thing I need to do now, but gives me less flexibility as I move into larger electric planes.

Eventually, I'll probably end up with one of each but right now I can only get one as we're saving up to buy a house so I can store more planes.

What do you guys think? I like the ability to just charge a lot of packs in parallel (potentially up to 12 packs if they're all the same cell count using two 6 pack parallel boards, such as these ). Also, the x2 400 will discharge A LOT more power than the X4 80 will, which could be handy for parallel storage charging packs.

However, the x4 has the obvious advantage of doing 4 different cell counts all at once and is cheaper. This could come in handy as I get into different aspects of RC (I'm thinking trucks, maybe other helicopters, etc.). At the same time, I could just purchase one of these when I get there.

What do you guys think? What would you choose?

Thanks!

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:41 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Bigger is always better when it comes to chargers.

Your charger can never be too big but it sure can be too small.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:11 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Good point. You can also never have too many chargers, though... lol

Brandon
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:44 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,373 Posts
Similar thread from a few weeks ago from which you might be able to glean some good info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1616187

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:00 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Thank you! That does help a bit. There's definitely not a clear-cut answer, though. I think I'm leaning toward the 2x 400. If I can get one... I'm worried they may not hit eBay within the 4 week period I have to use my eBay bucks. In that case, I may just have to get an x4 80.

We'll see.

Brandon
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:44 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an x4 80. It fills my needs perfectly for now. We are saving up to buy a house, so I won't be buying anything with larger batteries than I have now until I can afford another charger, anyway. I also like the fact of not having to worry about what voltage my packs are at before parallel charging. It'll just be a hook up and go deal.

Brandon
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:31 PM
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Joined May 2003
225 Posts
Who has the X4 80 in stock?
Efloatflyer is offline Find More Posts by Efloatflyer
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:04 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
I purchased it directly from Horizon through eBay. Should be here tomorrow. I can't wait! And I just finished my d580 server power supply conversion, too.

Here's a link for the x4 80: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150788305005...ht_3337wt_1396

Tomorrow is going to be full of charging and cycling.

Brandon
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:32 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
This thing is pretty sweet. My only complaint is the fans. A: They're loud. B: They turn on and off every 2 seconds if they're discharging just enough to make them come on. That is REALLY annoying. Other than that, the charger is sweet! Definitely going to have to pickup an x2 400, though, if nothing else for the extra discharge rate. All in due time.

Brandon
Old May 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Mar 2010
53 Posts
Hitec X4-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efloatflyer View Post
Who has the X4 80 in stock?
The Hitec X4-80 is available on Amazon for a good price.

NOTE: When you call Hitec you get real service! What is that worth?

I received mine in two days.
The large displays are great for my old eyes.
I really like the charger and being able to charge 4 six cells at 6amps each works for me.
I like using an external "Pyramid 30amp power supply for $61.00" supply instead of the 22amp built into the X4 AC plus.
The X4s with the built in supply use just above the minimum recommended supply "20amps" the built in supply is 22amps

Many people will be happy with the original X4,
You have an option of four batteries and balance boards at one end of the original X4 "smaller footprint"
or 2 batteries out of each side on the new layout. "Less crowded"
Hitec says the electronics inside the two are identical.

NOTE: You will have to spend about $27.00 for three extra balance boards at $7.00 each" on top of the charger cost if you want to charge four batteries with the same balance plugs.
This isn't completely true as you can plug the balance connectors for each battery directly into the end of the charger but trust me, it is a pain and the pins are soldered directly into the printed circuit board and will break eventually."use the balance boards!"
X4---------------- $127.00-$140.00
X4-80------------$159.00
X4-AC plus----$220.00
The X4-80 is also lighter than the AC plus version for field use.

The "X4s" all have all the nice computerized functions for all types of batteries, memory presets, auto cycling etc...

If I was going to use an 8 cell battery i would probably use two four cells in series anyway, it's cheaper and not near as painful if one battery goes bad. :-)

I looked at the X2s as well but I would have had to buy two for my purposes.

I believe the ICharger is the most popular for parallel charging with a para board.

Let's all buy stock in the electric companies!

Have a great day!
mglenn57 is offline Find More Posts by mglenn57
Last edited by mglenn57; May 14, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:12 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
I parallel charge with an iCharger (208b). I get the feeling I'll never need anything else, very happy with it. Powerful but very portable.

I find even with various cell counts, charging 4 or 6 of each type at a time keeps the packs charged as fast as I can use them anyway.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old May 18, 2012, 09:38 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Just FWIW, these balance boards work great on the X4 series and are $1 with a cable: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8821

At least for packs with XH balance connectors. All of my large batteries are Turnigys, so these work perfect for me and if I need a one-off, I use one of the ones that came with my X4 80. Perfect!

My wife and I are saving up to buy a house right now. After we do, I'll probably be getting an RC truck and a few larger batteries... so I'll also have to pickup an X2 400 to go along with my x4 80.

Brandon
Old May 18, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
My wife and I are saving up to buy a house right now. After we do, I'll probably be getting an RC truck and a few larger batteries... so I'll also have to pickup an X2 400 to go along with my x4 80.
You just keep telling yourself that. Then the water heater will break or some other appliance. And something else will go wrong. I always find it funny when people say I'll buy this after I buy a house. Just think about the statement, after I spend a ton of money, then I'll have money. Lol.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old May 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
lol... I know, I know. Another way of putting it is "after I freaking furnish our new house, I'll buy crap..." Should only take about 5 years or so... THAT's when the water heater goes out.

Brandon