HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
requesting any experiences in requesting repair parts for spektrum radios...

y'all;
a few days ago, the right rudder trim stopped working in my spektrum DX7S. i checked online and determined it could be a broken button. after opening the radio, and getting to the trim button housing and removing the plastic button, it is intact and not broken. so, the part that is not working is the momentary switch. its a simple fix, to desolder and remove the old switch , and to install and solder in a new one. i have posted an inquiry to horizon hobby, and i await their response.

has anyone else in this forum, ever requested repair parts for their spektrum radios ? if you have, how did the request go ? were you satisfied with their response ?

just curious. the DX7S is a great radio, and its easy to fix. im an amateur radio enthusiast, and i build radios so fixing this rc radio is no prob. the only prob i see is getting the replacement momentary switch from horizon hobbies/spektrum. since im doing the repair myself, i accept the liability. i hope that this does not dissuade them in supplying me with the repair part.

bpong
bpong is offline Find More Posts by bpong
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:53 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpong View Post
y'all;
a few days ago, the right rudder trim stopped working in my spektrum DX7S. i checked online and determined it could be a broken button. after opening the radio, and getting to the trim button housing and removing the plastic button, it is intact and not broken. so, the part that is not working is the momentary switch. its a simple fix, to desolder and remove the old switch , and to install and solder in a new one. i have posted an inquiry to horizon hobby, and i await their response.

has anyone else in this forum, ever requested repair parts for their spektrum radios ? if you have, how did the request go ? were you satisfied with their response ?

just curious. the DX7S is a great radio, and its easy to fix. im an amateur radio enthusiast, and i build radios so fixing this rc radio is no prob. the only prob i see is getting the replacement momentary switch from horizon hobbies/spektrum. since im doing the repair myself, i accept the liability. i hope that this does not dissuade them in supplying me with the repair part.

bpong
I very much doubt that you will have any success getting repair parts from Horizon Hobby. Their policy seems always to be that you must send in the radio for repair. Many people have reported this on this forum.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:44 PM
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,485 Posts
Quote:
y'all;

bpong
Have you checked the wiring for the switch? Could be just the wiring and not the switch.

BTW, I just ordered some of these to replace an elevator down trim switch in my 9303. They might work for you.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ords=eg2510-nd
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:48 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Did you confirm the actual switch itself is not working. I had a DX6i that needed just the plastic part, it looked okay but it was apparently just out of shape because a new one that looked the same did work. I got 2 packages of 2 directly from Spektrum. I explained to them I had experience in electronics and they sent them to me free of charge. Horizon is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get!

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:19 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
Quote:
... i have posted an inquiry to horizon hobby, and i await their response. ...
Expect to get the following = Please send the radio in for service. Regardless how small the repair or part might be to you, HH wants to get the radio back to inspect it to make sure all is good. I used to agree with this until I got my DX8 back from a service trip to HH and it came back with a major ribbon cable not seated properly that would cause it to reboot if the botton of the radio was tapped, just putting it down on the bench would trigger it.

Now I feel that for certain things they should supply the parts BUT in your case I think soldering would be involved but if the customer is willing to except the risk. But then how would they ensure they would not be fixing your mistake later on.

At then end of they day regardless how simple you may think it is, people have been getting them fix at HH and getting good results and service. You are just face with the decision of having to send it in during what maybe you peak season of start of the season and thats the sucky part.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Apr 02, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:21 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Did you confirm the actual switch itself is not working. I had a DX6i that needed just the plastic part, it looked okay but it was apparently just out of shape because a new one that looked the same did work. I got 2 packages of 2 directly from Spektrum. I explained to them I had experience in electronics and they sent them to me free of charge. Horizon is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get!

VP
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Expect to get the following = Please send the radio in for service. Regardless how small the repair or part might be to you, HH wants to get the radio back to inspect it to make sure all is good.
That is not my experience.

VP
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:40 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
That is not my experience. VP
Well considering the OP is
Quote:
requesting any experiences in requesting repair parts for spektrum radios
I don't think we need to counter quote another member telling his version.

I requested a LCD screen for my surface radio, guess what was the outcome?

PS: I fixed my radio, I think every situation will be different for many.
RCing is offline Find More Posts by RCing
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:50 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCing View Post
Well considering the OP is I don't think we need to counter quote another member telling his version.

I requested a LCD screen for my surface radio, guess what was the outcome?

PS: I fixed my radio, I think every situation will be different for many.
So why are you doing the same that you accuse me of? The OP is asking for experience with requesting parts, freechip offered none.
VP
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:09 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
176 Posts
You have issues VP. You quoted FC and replied
Quote:
That is not my experience
. I just pointed out that we knew this from your previous post and quoting/replying about other post saying it's not your experience is pointless. Of course it won't be your experience, it won't be anyone else but the person who posted.

I can clearly deduct what FC experience is/was and that he now feels like customers should be allowed to repair there own radios if they can.

You like to take things out of content and start arguments hey VP.

Oh and by the way, I was not doing the same to you , NEVER did I question or comment on your EXPERIENCE you had with them. See the difference.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:14 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
You have issues VP. You quoted FC and replied . I just pointed out that we knew this from your previous post and quoting/replying about other post saying it's not your experience is pointless. Of course it won't be your experience, it won't be anyone else but the person who posted.

I can clearly deduct what FC experience is/was and that he now feels like customers should be allowed to repair there own radios if they can.

You like to take things out of content and start arguments hey VP.

Oh and by the way, I was not doing the same to you , NEVER did I question or comment on your EXPERIENCE you had with them. See the difference.
My intentions are to help the OP to fix his own radio if it is possible, reprimands from you are disrupting his thread. FC's original post (before he edited it) said basically that Horizon will not ship him the parts. Horizon shipped me the parts free of charge.

VP
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:36 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
176 Posts
You are missing the point I tried to make. There is no need here to counter post to every one experience. They will be different for that most everybody.

I got an LCD screen from them, try it for the fun of it and see what the response you get it.

You got free parts. Joeblo is going to get nothing. John Doe is going to send it in for service and a receiver free. The following will get nothing for free. Experiences are going to differ.

Why comment on all of them saying its not what you experience is what you did and I pointed out.

I also shared my experience none of which you did when replying to FC
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:38 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
You are missing the point I tried to make. There is no need here to counter post to every one experience. They will be different for that most everybody.

I got an LCD screen from them, try it for the fun of it and see what the response you get it.

You got free parts. Joeblo is going to get nothing. John Doe is going to send it in for service and a receiver free. The following will get nothing for free. Experiences are going to differ.

Why comment on all of them saying its not what you experience is what you did and I pointed out.

I also shared my experience none of which you did when replying to FC
So why are you still "Counter Posting"?

VP
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:46 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
@ RCing - It's all good, of course everybody's expirence is going to different. I also agree I fail to see the point in replying to everyone experince being different then there own.

Getting a LCD screen or getting the pcb button from them is 99% out of there regular way of doing business. Will see soon enough the response he gets from them and then this thread will close, die off OR a poll will be started to see what people's experience was.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Final verdict from horizon hobbies.....

okay guys, heres the main portion of their response to my ticket# 28204....

"Hello bill,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department.

We do not sell parts to the Spektrum and JR transmitters for consumer purchase. These items are service items only. This means you will need to send the transmitter to the service center and the service center will do the work.
After reviewing what you said I have found the best solution would be to send it in for a warranty evaluation.

Unfortunately, we can not quote prices or say if it's going to be covered under warranty without first seeing the product in our service center. Evaluations are free. "

so, i guess for plastic buttons and other misc non electronic stuff, they can and will provide to the user. but as far as electronic parts, its a NO. im not surprised given the replys to my posting. i was expecting a more positive response and that they would have given me the option of purchasing the momentary switches. but just like the auto industry, im sure they make more money from the servicing of their products than from the initial sale.
now, i must decide whether i should send it in to get serviced or get the part myself and replace it.

i like my spektrum DX7S - and im HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED about not having the option to obtain an electro-mechanical part to do my own fix.

thanx to everyone who had posted their experiences !!!!!!
bpong is offline Find More Posts by bpong
Closed Thread