HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:32 AM
Norway, Hedmark, Hamar
Joined Sep 2009
68 Posts
Help!
A few pics, a video and some questions :)

Now, this is where I'm at and I'm quite pleased

I have done my best to make the adjustments to the KK5.5 board with KK4.7X firmware. But I think I got some more adjusting to do! It OK on hovering but it drifts some and it seems to drop through some. I don't understand why it's dropps when I have it at steady throttle when hovering.

Here is a short video:
http://youtu.be/LK2VjCcjSWw?hd=1

And now to the short part, I use a 2200mAh 3S lipo, and what you see in the movie is about what I get out of a flight when hovering. I understand that hovering use more power then a real flight will do, but I still thin it's a bit short.
How big do you think I can go for a battery with this setup?
Do the hobbywing ESC handle 4S or must I stay with 3S?

Any sugestion for pot trimming to make it more stable, less drifting and not drop down all the time?

Have a nice sunday
Denominator is offline Find More Posts by Denominator
Last edited by Denominator; Apr 01, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:17 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
999 Posts
Although the stablising legs look good, I would loose em, too big and added weight will reduce flight time and performance. Nice tidy build! like it, is it an x400 frame?
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:42 PM
Norway, Hedmark, Hamar
Joined Sep 2009
68 Posts
That is a set of training gear for a 500 helicopter and weighs about half of a GoPro Camera.
It's only thin carbon legs with styrofoam balls at the end, it weighs next to nothing. It's only for hovering practice and goes off as soon as I have it dialed in and "master" the hovering.

It's a X525 fram. Bought as a kit from ebay. Only thing i added was the battery and Tx.

Thank you
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:50 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
999 Posts
Think you will find it flys far better without it, give it a try.
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:19 PM
Norway, Hedmark, Hamar
Joined Sep 2009
68 Posts
I'll see where I end up

Anyone else with some helps for my other questions?
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2011
255 Posts
try removing some weight. what is your throttle range for hovering?

I have the same problem but its a yaw problem, mine would keep giving me surprices and would turn about 30 degrees, but thats in multiwii thou xD
Zombee is offline Find More Posts by Zombee
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denominator View Post
I understand that hovering use more power then a real flight will do
I don't think so, forward flight needs more current than hover.
3000 to 4000mAh might be suitable, depending on the load carried.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:06 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
And now to the short part, I use a 2200mAh 3S lipo, and what you see in the movie is about what I get out of a flight when hovering.
So, 3-1/2 minutes of hovering? That's really short. How much does it weigh? As the others said, you might want to try ditching the training gear, the weight savings will help. Also, do you know for sure the pack is depleted? What mah are you putting back in?

Quote:
I understand that hovering use more power then a real flight will do, but I still thin it's a bit short.
Like Mortimer said, hovering uses less power than flying around.

Quote:
Any sugestion for pot trimming to make it more stable, less drifting and not drop down all the time?
Turning down the P pot down will help (if you're running 4.7 then "down" should be clockwise). If you turn it down too much then it starts ballooning in fast forward flight, but if you're just hovering for now then I wouldn't worry about it.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:56 AM
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2011
198 Posts
You really assure choosing the right battery for your setup. In case, the (real) discharge rate issn't sufficient, the battery will broke almost at half of its capacity.
zerosight is offline Find More Posts by zerosight
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:27 AM
Linux Compatible
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
I don't think so, forward flight needs more current than hover.
3000 to 4000mAh might be suitable, depending on the load carried.
I have the same frame and a 2.2Ah is enough to carry a gopro and FPV gear for 10 minutes. If he's conking out at 3.5 minutes, then something is very wrong with one aspect of the setup; I would probably say the battery. No need to go up to 3Ah or 4Ah though.
machina is offline Find More Posts by machina
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:30 PM
Norway, Hedmark, Hamar
Joined Sep 2009
68 Posts
Yes, It must be the batteries. I have three batteries of the same type used earlier in my Maxi Swift flying wing. I get alot more flying time from that wing. But it only has one kv900 motor, and two servoes. I look at the other 2200 mAh packs that some guys on here use, and they look physically bigger then the 2200 packs I got. Mine are only 20C.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
LOL. not this X525 frame again! ones training gear removed you will loose weak landing legs and motor mounts very soon. good luck anyway! get 3.3 Ah nanotech lipo for 15 min flight.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
Norway, Hedmark, Hamar
Joined Sep 2009
68 Posts
Just checked now. I use a Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO3 to charge my batteries, and now they had put in 2061mAh on the last charge. I do have some led light strips under the frame, but that should not use that much power.
I have the same battery in my FG Monster 4x4, it has two servos for throttle and hydraulic brakes, on LARGE servo for steering, LED roof and bullbar lights, main front lights, drivning/brake lights and fog lights, at a total of 18 LEDs. When I have run out of fuel, about 45 minutes of using all the LED lights and the servos, it still has about 70% of power left in the lipo. So I don'tunderstand why I don't get a few more minutes of power with this quad.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:49 PM
Norway, Hedmark, Hamar
Joined Sep 2009
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man1024 View Post
LOL. not this X525 frame again! ones training gear removed you will loose weak landing legs and motor mounts very soon. good luck anyway! get 3.3 Ah nanotech lipo for 15 min flight.
Why would you come in here only to write that?
I had to start somewhere and this was a good and cheap entry. I see many people are satisfied with this frame, one here and on review videos on youtube.

I use the Nanotech 5.0 lipos in my TREX 600 BL, and I'm not very happy with those lipos.Major puffing after only a few flights!
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:18 PM
Norway, Hedmark, Hamar
Joined Sep 2009
68 Posts
Went over all the settings one more time. It had the motor braking on, turned it off and now it did 7.27 minutes of hovering. Still think that is a bit shorter then I would like, but it's over double the time of what it had.