HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:59 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Sep 2011
128 Posts
Discussion
Wrong Prop or do I have to Reverse the Motor rotation?

This may be a dumb question but I went in to my lhs and asked for the 7x5 to upgrade my stock Stryker prop. They sounded very sure which one I needed and off I went. When I tried the prop it pulls not pushes. Do I have the wrong prop? They said it was for a pusher plane. Or is there a way to reverse the rotation of the motor and is that bad for it?

Thanks
CnadianFF is offline Find More Posts by CnadianFF
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:10 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnadianFF View Post
This may be a dumb question but I went in to my lhs and asked for the 7x5 to upgrade my stock Stryker prop. They sounded very sure which one I needed and off I went. When I tried the prop it pulls not pushes. Do I have the wrong prop? They said it was for a pusher plane. Or is there a way to reverse the rotation of the motor and is that bad for it?

Thanks
Just reverse the motor. (Switch 2 of the 3 leads to reverse rotation.) Make sure the print on the prop is facing the direction of flight the same way it is when the motor is on front of the plane. Several pusher design planes don't use pusher props, from the factory, and run the motors clockwise. I do it all the time as the selection of pusher props is quite limited.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:25 AM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
Your lhs guy was thinking in terms of ic engines and not electric motors. If your 7x5 prop is a pusher it will probably be designated as 7x5p.

Reverse rotation, or pusher props, are used on ic engines when configured as a pusher because the engine can only turn in one direction. Advantage goes to the electric motor as it can turn either direction with a simple swap of any two motor leads. You can use the 7x5 prop if it's turning the right direction and has the lettering facing forward.
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore