HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:07 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
Installing Electronics, some final touches...

I stalled the motor back on, after putting some small 1/8" O-rings as inserts to minimize vibration from the motor. I am probably going to ultimately use a different motor, but meantime, want to use this one. It is fine, except for some reason noisy when running, and clicks when hand turned.

It runs smooth, but has a tiny bit of bearing play in it. I have a replacement on order. Need to use this one to at the very least balance the plane out.

Also, installed the 60A E-flite ESC. I opted to have it sit under the battery tray, facing flat forward. Air will spill over the whole fin area of the heat sink. Also, I used Industrial-grade velcro for the unit, and will also be putting some cable ties to use as a backup. Just in case. It sits totally solid now, but under 6+g loops, who knows?

I also used white glue on the top and bottom of the wood canopy floor - it is SOLID now. No flex at all. I also reinforced the gear on the inside with a overlay spar inside the gap where the blind nuts are. Epoxied in.

I made a side mount for the ESC's on/off switch. This sits off to the port side of the plane. It was cut from a 3/4" pice of balsa and slotted to fit against the wall of the fuselage on the battery cross member I installed, and the near furthest bulkhead ring. It should work well there. I may just leave it on, but thought I'd try it. I don't like having stuff out of the fuelage wall, and the battery compartment seemed an excellent location.

I also zeroed and adjusted the bottom wing throws and positions as a prelude to mounting the wings tomorrow.

Pics below...

Almost finished now, just mounting the radio, wings, linkages for the ailerons, and then wires! Woo Hoo!

Stay tuned, getting her done very fast now!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
to remove ads between posts