HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:49 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Discussion
Wing servo ball links installed...

I decided after inadvertently breaking off one of the flimsy aileron link horns, to follow another fellow who used the same thing: Dubro #189 ball links (aileron type). These normally get used inside a fuselage to link the servo horns to "L" wires, but these are a fantastic way to get a solid aileron linkage!

These use a 4-40 screw to normally lock a control rod/wire in place; in lieu, I used 3/4" cap screws with 4-40 threads into the ball link, and then used CA to fix them. I then cut off the head o fthe cap screw about 1/8" in from the head base, and smoothed off. The ball/screws then thread into 5/32 holes I drilled right next to the locations of the old horns. I trimmed the material carefully first, then used white glue and matching paint to hide the wood, where showing. I started with pilot holes of 1/16" and took my time with my Dremmel.

CA was dripped into the holes first, then a drop or two onto the screws. These then got fed into the holes, and bite WELL! Wicked the CA that may have squeezed out with a Qtip. Voila! Ball linkages on my Ailerons!

I plan to use the stock control rods, though ANY 2-56 threaded rod will also do. The links come with nylon sockets that have 2-56 threads in them, and brass couplers which can be soldered or adhered using CA after cleaning the surface of a straight rod.

See pix below for finished results!

Sky Cadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
to remove ads between posts