HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Discussion
Balsa USA Stick 40 Plus--Gas or electric?

I am a 57 yr old newbie who dabbled in RC 20 yrs ago. I didn't stay in long enough to really learn a lot. Now I'm kinda sorta retired and determined to do this right this time.
I have joined a local club and the AMA. I have a 2m sailplane that with the help of a friend I'm installing a motor and stuff to go with it. I've had the sailplane for 10+ years and never flew it. I have a 14 yr old Futaba 4NBF radio system that I plan to install. The Futaba I bought new and it only flew once many years ago. I'm replacing all the batteries of course. My intentions are to learn to fly using the powered sailplane. I either have all the stuff (or ordered) required to fly the sailplane.

All that brings me to the title of this post---I have a Balsa USA Stick 40 Plus that I started a long time ago and never finished. I have an OS .46SFH engine I traded for many years ago. It started life as a heli engine but I put an airplane head on it. (still have the heli head) After I learn a bit about how to fly and doing it without damaging my sailplane I'd like to finish this Stick 40 and learn to fly 4 channel. I don't yet know enough about glow to electric conversions, is it a costly endeavor to use electric on this Stick 40? Or just stick with the .46?
Beemerider is offline Find More Posts by Beemerider
Last edited by Beemerider; Mar 31, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:30 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
How well do you get along with glo engines? Any noise issues at your flying site? Will you always wear earplugs? If not, are you willing to put on a special muffler? Do you mind cleaning castor oil off your plane?

I don't know the cost issues, but I know that, for me at least, glow is a lot harder to make work. If you do go with glow, perhaps you can use the same kind of OS muffler baffles that I used to use on an FP 40, which I could never hear if any other glow airplane was up.

Electrics are reliable now, and can be as powerful as you need. On the other hand, if you're careless (or even if you're not) they can start instantly. So if your hand is in the wrong place, the motor is armed, and you bump the throttle, OUCH! Cost for a 40 sized set up, I'm not so sure about.

If it was me, I'd sell the motor and buy some electric stuff. But you may be better with engines than me.

BTW, I suspect that the Stick 40 would also be an acceptable trainer. Particularly if put on a diet. But I haven't actually flown one.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
I've got the stuff to make the OS work but it is a bunch of trouble--the issues you pointed out. It has the stock muffler, and yeah they leave their mark!

I will learn on my sailplane but I'm trying still to figure out all the motor and battery requirements if I use them on the Stick. There are no noise issues where I will be flying. Some fly only electric, some glo.

Any advice or recommendations on a motor size for a .40 size glo engine plane? And battery?

regards
Wayne
Beemerider is offline Find More Posts by Beemerider
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2005
589 Posts
some pics

Motor- $30-50 esc $20-60+ Battery $30-100 charger $30+
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member