HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:41 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintQytRite View Post
Actually people have less money to spend on such luxuries as electricity after obama fullfilled his campain promise to make electric and gas prices skyrocket, this combined with obammys failed policies have directly caused lost jobs and lost homes. More empty houses: less power consumption.

The cfl lightbulbs. A joke
Plus, people are poorer so they choose to live with less comfort because they can't afford to pay for it.
Thank you, Obama.

The OP idea that the stupid lights are the reason for less energy use is vacuous, at best (pun intended).

But then, people who live in a fanatasy world can dream up all sorts of things.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:53 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
Plus, people are poorer so they choose to live with less comfort because they can't afford to pay for it.
Thank you, Obama.

The OP idea that the stupid lights are the reason for less energy use is vacuous, at best (pun intended).

But then, people who live in a fanatasy world can dream up all sorts of things.

Actually that is B/S - it makes a great sound bite but its wrong

Here you go - today's really poor folk in the Yooessay They can barely afford a light bulb
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Mmm. You mean those POS Chinese tubes full of hazardous materials that are a PITA to use?

mw
But the yellow/green glow they give off reminds me of my youth hanging out at the Tast-E-Freeze and getting ice cream.

I love CFL's, they save me lots of money on my light bill, and they only cost me 3 for $1 to drop off at the recycling center compared to $1 a piece for normal flourescent tubes, plus it's only a 30 mile round trip to the recycling center.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Actually that is B/S - it makes a great sound bite but its wrong

It's a true statement on my part.

I got rid of my cable TV because of the cost of the monthly bill, so I save money on my electric bill too by not watching mindless boring crap for 4-5 hours a night.

I also turned the thermostat back the whole way over the winter so I could save money to pay my medical bills. My highest gas bill over the winter was for $86, and they screwed that up because it was an estimated bill based on last year's demand, and with the warm weather in February this year I used less gass. This month's gas bill was a $13 credit.

I'm also driving less, and combining trips, so that I'm getting more things done in one trip, instead of making a special trip to the store to get something when I run out.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
738 Posts
City Lights From International Space Station (2002-2008) (10 min 4 sec)

Thats alot of light bulbs
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:22 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
A contact at AEP tells me is is so much cheaper to advertise on TV and the radio to beg us to use less energy than it costs to build new powerplants. Oh, and raising utility rates doesn't hurt either.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:03 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Especially when you can use solar to charge up an EV..
How does that work at night? Or do all EV owners have to work the midnight shift in our brave new world?
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:06 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
You'd think with all these improvements energy would cost us less, wouldn't you?
I pay $0.10/kwh for electricity that comes from coal powered plants. That would be 0.0625 in pounds. What do you pay?
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
738 Posts
LOL check out the last item on this page!

Debogus put it up... site was suspect anyhow. Thanks.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Last edited by UlteriorModem; Apr 01, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:10 AM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
265 Posts

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress...aesthetics.jpg
debogus is online now Find More Posts by debogus
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,204 Posts
Back around 1980, when I was working on hydropower, the projections of need for electricity suggested we would have gone dark by now. The major thing which kept this from happening was not new power generation, but conservation and increased efficiency.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:41 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
It's a true statement on my part.

I got rid of my cable TV because of the cost of the monthly bill, so I save money on my electric bill too by not watching mindless boring crap for 4-5 hours a night.

I also turned the thermostat back the whole way over the winter so I could save money to pay my medical bills. My highest gas bill over the winter was for $86, and they screwed that up because it was an estimated bill based on last year's demand, and with the warm weather in February this year I used less gass. This month's gas bill was a $13 credit.

I'm also driving less, and combining trips, so that I'm getting more things done in one trip, instead of making a special trip to the store to get something when I run out.

Sure - and there will be plenty like you - but 'mostly' the USA is pretty OK still where heat and light are to the fore.

Not quite African tents yet eh
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,204 Posts
Some years back, a friend of mine worked for a company with a contract to relight the university with more efficient lights. The company would be paid a percentage of difference in electricity costs before and after. It was a pilot project for doing the same to all state buildings.

I've seen some figures, years ago, on the savings for putting in more efficient lighting in a large office building. The figures showed that enough would be saved on maintenance of light systems to pay for all electricity used in the building.

Before the relighting, we had two maintenance men who did nothing but change light bulbs all day long. The lights in my lab were supposed to be on 220, but were on 280. Never able to figure out why. So my bulbs burned out at an unusual pace. Finally the guys left me a box of used but still usable bulbs and I did the bulb changes myself.

I grew up on a ranch about five miles from town. Town, before the drought of the '50s, had about 2000 inhabitants. At night, there was a faint glow on the horizon. today the town is maybe 1000 people, and, at night the sky is bright; all the features of the horizon, tree, etc, can be clearly seen.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Last edited by Jim Thomerson; Apr 01, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:06 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
I pay $0.10/kwh for electricity that comes from coal powered plants. That would be 0.0625 in pounds. What do you pay?
Always tricky to work such things out - as all the firms do their best to obfuscate such info, but as far as I can work out from my last bill it works out to £0.14/kwh.

And I suspect it's somewhat generally colder here than where you live...

(And that doesn't include our heating - which is by natural gas - and adds to the expense).
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Last edited by Norman Adlam; Apr 01, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:11 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Always tricky to work such things out - as all the firms do their best to obfuscate such info, but as far as I can work out from my last bill it works out to £0.14/kwh.

And I suspect it's somewhat generally colder here than where you live...
I suspect it is! So your rate is about double mine, but I think some parts of the US the rate may be approaching yours, and those that opt for green energy pay a higher rate.

I would be irritated too. You guys still got any coal left to burn after all these centuries?