HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:32 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
115 Posts
Discussion
Household Electrical Demand Falling

Even as we load up our homes with more and more electronic gadgets, something strange is happening.

Demand is falling

Those "nasty" CFL light bulbs some of you hate...
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:58 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
Mmm. You mean those POS Chinese tubes full of hazardous materials that are a PITA to use?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:00 PM
Smoke & Fire
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Even as we load up our homes with more and more electronic gadgets, something strange is happening.

Demand is falling

Actually people have less money to spend on such luxuries as electricity after obama fullfilled his campain promise to make electric and gas prices skyrocket, this combined with obammys failed policies have directly caused lost jobs and lost homes. More empty houses: less power consumption.

The cfl lightbulbs. A joke
Naja Kaouthia is offline Find More Posts by Naja Kaouthia
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:00 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Joined Aug 2007
115 Posts
Why do you say they are a PITA to use? I simply flip the switch and they light up.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
What else may be going on???

A mild winter so less heat was needed? Lower incomes so unused lights are turned off? Lower incomes so thermostats are turned down?
kf2qd is offline Find More Posts by kf2qd
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:23 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:

Demand is falling
I have noticed. I track my electrical usage and here it is for the past ten years. You can see the falling trend line. I installed a new high efficiency heat pump where the green bar is shown, to replace a 25 year old one. CFL bulbs and LED TVs and computers have also been a major contributing factor.

Maybe we will have enough power to charge "an electric car in each garage" after all!
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:36 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Joined Aug 2007
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
I have noticed. I track my electrical usage and here it is for the past ten years. You can see the falling trend line. I installed a new high efficiency heat pump where the green bar is shown, to replace a 25 year old one. CFL bulbs and LED TVs and computers have also been a major contributing factor.

Maybe we will have enough power to charge "an electric car in each garage" after all!
Especially when you can use solar to charge up an EV.

We upgraded our appliances to Energy Star devices. I even hounded my cable TV provider to replace an older DVR with a newer Energy Star compliant DVR.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:51 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:

Demand is falling

No shock at all. Homes are much more energy efficient with big savers such as doors, windows and better insulation. Add much more efficient appliances and electronics so demand should be down.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Last edited by RumRunner_1492; Apr 01, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:57 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Mmm. You mean those POS Chinese tubes full of hazardous materials that are a PITA to use?

mw
Not to mention the cost transfer... the OP article illustrates the ponzy scheme. BUT... he did miss the net effect of dropping one of those POS toxic things on your floor... you won't be able to sell your house.
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:05 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Electronics are getting more efficient too
ENGINETORQUE is online now Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:54 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Electronics are getting more efficient too
You'd think with all these improvements energy would cost us less, wouldn't you?
Instead of being at the mega-highest costs ever (and yet still no company ever makes any profit from such things...)
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:13 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Replaced a failing water heater this year and installed a programmable thermostat a few years ago. I am also vigilant about closing blinds/curtains in summer so heat doesn't blast into the room and sealing drafts etc. My utilities are routinely lower than most all others that have 2 kids, dog and a wife.

Don't know how many times I have to remind folks that the door is there for a reason and I don't need to heat/cool the outside or remind a kid that they've fallen asleep staring into the open refrigerator
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:17 AM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:

Demand is falling

All hail to obammy. "HE" did it didn't he?
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Aug 2011
778 Posts
Compact fluorescents are but a drop in the bucket compared to other more efficent appliances.

'Tighter' Homes, Water heaters, Heat pumps, Refridgerators, Using microwaves instead of conventional ovens etc. etc.

Those are the real reason for demands falling not friggin light bulbs... sheese.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:39 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Compact fluorescents are but a drop in the bucket compared to other more efficent appliances.

'Tighter' Homes, Water heaters, Heat pumps, Refridgerators, Using microwaves instead of conventional ovens etc. etc.

Those are the real reason for demands falling not friggin light bulbs... sheese.
Quite

I've noticed that the Euro compact cars get a whole lot more gas mileage compared with their Pontiac V 8 forbears - funny old thing!
ENGINETORQUE is online now Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE