HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlying View Post
That's going to look awesome in the air!
Beautiful yard too; where do you live?
Thank you. Yeah I'm quite pleased with the way she looks, just hope she flies as well. I live in Connecticut, USA. Spring is in full bloom & the garden is probably at its best this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodgson View Post
That is looking really nice. I do have one observation though, now it is all assembled the boom looks quite narrow. Is it torsionally strong enough to withstand the twisting those large ruddervators will impose on it?
I had worries about the diameter of the tail-boom until I tried to bend it, carbon fiber is impressive stuff. Again this is a lazy thermal ship that shouldn't experience any crazy loads on the airframe. I'm actually more concerned that its over engineered if anything, especially the wing. In hindsight, just to be safe, I probably could have gone with a slightly larger diameter tail-boom but I'm confident this one will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN View Post
one thing that i have to ask after all you have done building a awsom plane what is with rubber band?
Ben
I already covered my bands Vs bolts reasoning earlier in this thread but in a nutshell, I prefer the forgiving nature of a flexible wing mount for aircraft with long slender wings. Given my dodgy landings of late, using bands is a good call.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Last edited by Nodd; Apr 27, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:01 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
its holding the wing on !
ahhhhhhhhhh
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
Wrapping Things Up
Well we can't have this glider parading around naked, time to do some covering. I chose to use Hanger 9 Ultracoat as I've worked with it before & like the way it applies. Low temperature to activate the adhesive then switch to higher temp to do the shrink-wrapping. Its also pretty forgiving & most wrinkles can be eliminated with some heat...

I wanted to show off the built up structure so I'm using transparent red on the open areas & opaque white everywhere else...

Before I got too far into the wing covering I performed another balance check...

I centered the wing on my balance stand & added weight to the light side...

Three small nails on the left wingtip & she balances perfectly. There is a school of though that says its a mistake to add weight at the tips as this adds unwanted mass way out on the ends of the wing, not where you want it. Its often better to add weight further in & keep the tips as light as possible. The down side is you need more weight to achieve the same result. As my wing was already balanced fairly close & needed just a few grams I felt it was fine to just stick the nails into the end of the wing...

If you use nails for weight you should pre-drill the holes. Don't go hammering away at your wingtips, bad idea. Once in place a drop of CA glued keeps them secure...

Here's my home-brewed CG balance stand. Simple & because its in two pieces it fits just about any airplane. Note the spiffy rubber tips to keep things from slipping while balancing...

Anyway with the wing balanced I covered over the nail holes & turned my attention to the v-tail...

I'm trying something new on this model. I usually use CA hinges but I noticed one of my ARF gliders uses just the covering its self as a hinge joint. The result is a gap-less joint that's fairly sturdy & doesn't seem to bind at all. If my ruddervators start to fall off in a month or so I guess its back to CA hinges but my other glider has been around for years & no signs of hinge fatigue yet. So I thought I'd give it a try. Here's how my hinges are laid out...

From the top at least the joint looks totally seamless. Obviously there's a small slot on the under-side to allow the control surface to move downwards but aerodynamically its pretty clean. I like...

Well that's enough for today. I'll tackle the rest tomorrow...

Last edited by Nodd; Apr 29, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:51 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,067 Posts
Looking very nice. I like the choice of colours.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:11 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,564 Posts
It sure is looking good! I really like the color choice and the swept V-tails.

I've never used CA hinges nor iron on hinges as you've done very nicely. However, for the last 20 years I use tape. I only tape one side of the flying surface i.e. top for ailerons and bottom for flaps. I've done this with iron on film and composite planes alike. I've flown electric, slope and thermal planes over 100mph with tape and have never had an issue. Well after a few years the tape will get some dust/dirt/grime along the edges and I'll carefully remove it and replace it.

Here's what I use:

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Hey i love the build can't wait to see it up in the air . I'm also scratch building a 1.6m High Wing Rc Trainer and having a little trouble figgering out how to join the two fuselage halves I'd love if you could check it out, give some advice and follow the build here's the link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1638287&page=2
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,833 Posts
im currently building a slope/Thermal Ship of my own design called The Venom
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:48 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
...I've never used CA hinges nor iron on hinges as you've done very nicely. However, for the last 20 years I use tape. I only tape one side of the flying surface i.e. top for ailerons and bottom for flaps. I've done this with iron on film and composite planes alike. I've flown electric, slope and thermal planes over 100mph with tape and have never had an issue. Well after a few years the tape will get some dust/dirt/grime along the edges and I'll carefully remove it and replace it...
I've not had much experience using tape but it sounds like a viable option for sure. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Hey i love the build can't wait to see it up in the air . I'm also scratch building a 1.6m High Wing Rc Trainer and having a little trouble figgering out how to join the two fuselage halves I'd love if you could check it out, give some advice and follow the build here's the link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1638287&page=2
I'll take a look at your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
im currently building a slope/Thermal Ship of my own design called The Venom
Whoa that thing looks pretty wild. Fascinating shapes & construction. That v-tail looks kinda familiar :-) Do you have a build log for it?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,833 Posts
Yeah Here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1642784
Old May 02, 2012, 06:26 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
Where's Nodd?
I must apologize for the lack of progress this week. I've been feeling under the weather & not at all motivated to do much more than sleep & doddle about the house. Anyway I appear to be getting over the hump & expect to be back in the workshop tomorrow (fingers crossed). Thanks everyone for their patients.
Old May 02, 2012, 06:27 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,833 Posts
ill be Waiting and wayching
Old May 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,833 Posts
BTW have you thought up a name yet?
Old May 03, 2012, 07:44 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
Okay I'm officially back in action. Woohoo! Although I can't say I got a whole lot done today, it was great to be working on the project again. Illness sucks.

I picked right up where I'd left off on the covering. These are the ailerons...

The guys at Ultracoat were having a laugh when they chose which side of the roll to put the backing material on. For normal opaque UltraCoat the waxy backing paper always ends up on the topside when you unroll it. I guess they thought it'd be fun to mix things up by reversing that for the completely invisible clear-backing used on their transparent rolls. I spent an hour going out of my mind trying to figure out why everything I cutout for the transparent areas kept coming out backwards. I finally noticed the discrepancy in the backing materials but not until wasting a fair amount of my red roll. Oh well, now I know & so do you.

Hinges
As I discussed a few days back, I used UltraCoat to make my ruddervator hinges for the v-tail. Seems like that worked pretty well. Then CloudyIFR here posted the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
I've never used CA hinges nor iron on hinges as you've done very nicely. However, for the last 20 years I use tape. I only tape one side of the flying surface i.e. top for ailerons and bottom for flaps. I've done this with iron on film and composite planes alike. I've flown electric, slope and thermal planes over 100mph with tape and have never had an issue. Well after a few years the tape will get some dust/dirt/grime along the edges and I'll carefully remove it and replace it.
Thanks for the tip. I poked around a little & there's no shortage of suggestions on what tape is best. Your transparent Scotch tape suggestion appears as valid as any so I figured I'd give it a try. After a quick trip to Walgreens I had a roll in hand...

Its robust stuff with a slightly thicker vinyl feel not a lot unlike packing tape, only not as wide. It sticks well & most importantly, so far, stays put. Here's the flaps installed using the Scotch tape...

While waiting for my covering iron to warm up again after unplugging it during dinner tonight, I decided to spray paint the servo hatches. I could have covered them but this seemed simpler... pshhhh pshhhh pshhhh done...

I'm still not feeling 100% so that's all for today. Oh & yes I did remember to unplug my iron.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:15 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
Gotta love how you build two ailerons identical in every way, one installs in 10 minutes, the other takes almost two hours!

A poor decision early in the wing's CAD design process set me up for much toil & headache today. The first aileron went on great & had plenty of travel without any nasty binding. The second bugger however, even after three complete install attempts, refused to give me more than a couple of degrees of down travel. On the computer where everything is perfect, I'd designed in just enough bevel on the aileron's LE to allow them to move downward exactly the desired amount of travel. The idea was to keep things like slots & whatnot in my spiffy airfoiled wing to an absolute minimum. Apparently the real world is not perfect. Subtle variations in both the aileron & the wing's TE were causing it to bind up. My initial solution was to open up the gap between the wing & aileron so the joint had more room to flex but when I flipped the wing over for a look-see & saw the big gaping gap needed, it was obvious this wasn't going to do. So I was forced to remove some of the aileron's covering & rework the bevel until it behaved its self. Long story short, she's finally on there & moving freely but what a hassle. Next time design in some wiggle room stupid!

So anyway with that finally behind me I started to setup the control horns...

This was not going to be my day I could tell. Next issue! I've run into this before with DuBro control horns. Seems they give you these silly little short screws that work fine for a rudder or elevator but almost always seem to come up short when doing ailerons...

There's no way I'm getting the other plastic doohickey thing that goes on the other side threaded using these screws. Will have to hit the hardware store tomorrow. Unfortunately that put an end to my linkage hookup aspirations for today. Combined with the frustrations of the aileron that wouldn't, I wasn't in the mood to switch my mindset to some other part of the build. So that'll do for today. I did assemble the wing so I could take a look at her all covered though...

Old May 05, 2012, 12:03 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,833 Posts
Looking Great! cant wait to see here Fly
BTW my advice is CA in the screws! worked of me!

Keenan