SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:17 AM
Salem, OR
Joined Sep 2002
884 Posts
.[/QUOTE]

Ideally I would have liked the hatches to sit flush with the bottom of the wing but again with the thin airfoil, the servo takes up too much room. Compounding the problem, I also had to reenforce the hatch around the control arm slot as it was kinda flimsy at first. Still, compared to this huge wing these tiny hatches should have negligible effect. I'm pretty pleased with the instillation, came out fairly tidy. The wing is a little thicker where I'm planning to install the flap servos so hopefully those will go in flush. Will have to see.[/QUOTE]

for future reference here's what i did with thin wings install.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1536798&page=4
frankswd is offline Find More Posts by frankswd
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
Yeah that Elektra looks like a sweet plane. I like the blister bubble servo cover & really like the internal linkage arrangement. I might play around with some sort of aerodynamic cover for my linkage. I've seen them on lots of other planes. Might be a good idea to cover the linkage anyway to keep it from snagging on stuff during landing. Thanks for the link.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:29 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
More servos to mount! Unlike the aileron servos which are mounted in a mirrored orientation so they move in opposite directions, thankfully I realized in time, the flap servos should be mounted using the same orientation. That way they move the flaps up/down together. Glad I caught that before installing them, although I guess there's a number of ways to reverse a servo if needed...

As I'd hoped, there was sufficient room to flush-mount the flap servo hatches...

I may go back & tweak the aileron servo hatches to see if I can clean them up aerodynamically but for now I need to concentrate on getting the rest of this plane built.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Salem, OR
Joined Sep 2002
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodd View Post
Yeah that Elektra looks like a sweet plane. I like the blister bubble servo cover & really like the internal linkage arrangement. I might play around with some sort of aerodynamic cover for my linkage. I've seen them on lots of other planes. Might be a good idea to cover the linkage anyway to keep it from snagging on stuff during landing. Thanks for the link.
Here's how i would go about making my custom servo covers
1) get some modeling clay from hobby shop.
2) blue tape all around your servo wing area and servo arm.
3) shape up the clay as your aerodynamic insights guide you
4) take some cooking shrink wrap and lay it out smoothly over your clay mock up be sure to do at least one left and right side, they are different
5) wet-out some fiberglass and do a layup, i suggest at least 2 layers @ 45 degree angles to each other. Also you can use a slightly thicker plastic to smooth out over top of your layup to make it look molded, and not show the weave so much, kitchen garbage bags can work.
6) I suggest you might want to give them a short bake out curing in toaster oven or the big oven ( when mom's not looking) deny any accuzatoin of funny smells

Not hard at all, paint and fly!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
Salem, OR
Joined Sep 2002
884 Posts
and what??? my servo mounts didn't impress dang it
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
Salem, OR
Joined Sep 2002
884 Posts
and you can buy them here, if you don't want to use your building skills!
http://www.espritmodel.com/sailplane-accessories.aspx
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankswd View Post
and what??? my servo mounts didn't impress dang it
I saw them and was impressed...but with no further information other than the pictures it was impossible to assess how they were made and what tools and materials would be needed to make similar. Also, it looks like they need gluing into the wing and if/when a servo needs to be replaced/repaired you would have to cut them out...yes? Because of this I dismissed them as being too complex compared to (a) gluing the servo in directly or (b) making a wooden frame and screwing them in.

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodd View Post
More servos to mount! Unlike the aileron servos which are mounted in a mirrored orientation so they move in opposite directions, thankfully I realized in time, the flap servos should be mounted using the same orientation. That way they move the flaps up/down together. Glad I caught that before installing them, although I guess there's a number of ways to reverse a servo if needed...
This is the first time I've seen asymmetrical flap servos: most radios can reverse servos individually, so this is an unusual approach. You may find getting equal linkages and throws, etc. tough to achieve now.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,050 Posts
Wow, incredible build so far! Can't wait to see the rest of it, and of course, the maiden.
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Salem, OR
Joined Sep 2002
884 Posts
Ok, so here's the deal. They were made Via 3-D printing by a friend of mine.

The mount is glued to the wing. The servo is held in by it's tabs retained in a slot. One scew to keep the servo from lateral movement. Remove the one screw, slide servo out at will.
The other version with the pin on the spring clip stops lateral movement, so no screws to unlock the servo. just lift and slide.

You could fabercate something like this out of wood, but you would most likely use 3 scews into wooden posts glued onto your wing . These wing servos are really nice and not too expensive however.

And i'm considering the idea of producing some more of these mounts that i designed.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
This is the first time I've seen asymmetrical flap servos: most radios can reverse servos individually, so this is an unusual approach. You may find getting equal linkages and throws, etc. tough to achieve now.
Setting up the two flap servos so they natively move in the same direction makes sense to me. I don't really see a need to use an extra channel on my receiver just so I can reverse one servo. Granted another option would be to pop open one of the servos & mess around with wire swapping but these servos are kinda small. I'm not sure my fat fingers, eyesight or soldering skills would be up to the task. Then there's plugin servo reversers but to be honest I don't foresee any issues with my current setup. The two control horns are positioned less than an inch different from each other along the wing's long axis. The distance from servo arm to control horn is identical for both. I don't expect any problems using this setup. We'll see though I guess.

The other reasoning for this setup is purely financial. Having limited funds I've already purchased a fairly economical 6 channel receiver that has just enough channels for everything I need:

1 channel for throttle
2 channels for the ailerons (needed for the crow mixing to work)
1 channel for rudder
1 channel for elevator
1 channel for flaps (using a Y-harness)

Besides one of the fun things about scratch designing something is that you can experiment & do things differently. If it doesn't work then it can be fixed, if it does then we all learn something new.
Last edited by Nodd; Apr 13, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:07 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankswd View Post
Ok, so here's the deal. They were made Via 3-D printing by a friend of mine.

The mount is glued to the wing. The servo is held in by it's tabs retained in a slot. One scew to keep the servo from lateral movement. Remove the one screw, slide servo out at will.
The other version with the pin on the spring clip stops lateral movement, so no screws to unlock the servo. just lift and slide.

You could fabercate something like this out of wood, but you would most likely use 3 scews into wooden posts glued onto your wing . These wing servos are really nice and not too expensive however.

And i'm considering the idea of producing some more of these mounts that i designed.
Yeah I totally like your setup. It differs from mine mainly in that my servo covers are structural, as in the servo is mounted to the hatch which is in turn then mounted to the wing. It looks like your setup has the servo mounted directly to the wing which is probably a better solution. The main reason I chose my method is that I couldn't see an easy way to get at the mounting screws if I installed them traditionally. You seem to have solved that issue with those nifty plastic doohickeys that somehow have the mounting screws facing vertically instead of horizontally. Cool stuff, would love to see more about their design.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
Build something.
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
SHE'S OFFICIALLY AN RC AIRPLANE!
I spent a couple of hours today adding servo plugs to the spaghetti hanging out of my wing. I hooked up a receiver, ESC, LiPo & the wing & bound it all to my radio. Although far from complete, I think its safe to say this collection of parts can now officially be called an RC airplane. ITS ALIVE! muhahaha

I'm trying to decide what next to tackle. Although I've yet to start on the v-tail, I also need to devise a way to mount the wing to the fuselage. I'm thinking it makes sense to get the wing mounted first. That way I have something to align the v-tail too. I'll post more soon.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:33 AM
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts
nice! pictures please
Sunfire is offline Find More Posts by Sunfire
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
subbed!