Joined Jan 2011
2,292 Posts
Contest
The april big sky international electric sailplane contest

THE APRIL BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am April 1 to 11:59 PM April 30 Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open this to all e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into two classifications, 2-meter and under, and Open class.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor. I expect to see themal times in excess of 30 minutes and slope times in excess of an hour. But you are welcome to post any flight time you wish. Get your name on the list and be famous!
THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction
BIG SKY - THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.
Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.
THREAD CONTENT -
This thread is for contest reports and for discussion about the contest only.

Contest Records:

Thermal:
2 Meter Class:
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open Class:
Palo Lishak (aka TENDER in RCGroups)
Glider name: supra Stork electric
Date and Time of flight: October 29th 2011, start of flight 15:50 CET
Duration of flight: 1:45:40 (11 s climb with motor)

Slope:
Hunnerbunner
Duration: 2:33:14
Date: 4/26/11
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 19, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:02 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,292 Posts
Thermal Leaderboard:

2 Meter Class

Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Radian
April 19, 2012 11:20am
1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL
Tanner, Alabama

Belem
Radian
04/29/12, 2pm
53:59
Sunny, 80s wind 2-3 MPH
Sacramento, CA

nigel sheffield
glider asw28 2m
thermal duration 37mins 48 secs.
11:45am 13/04/2012
wakefield UK

JumpySticks
Glider/plane: Radian Po
Date and Time of flight: 4/7/12-2pm
Duration of flight: 22:05

blunight
Glider name:Radian
Date and Time of flight:April 24, 2012 10:00am
Duration of flight:17:57 (after 30 sec motor run)

Robert Hubbard
Radiant Pro
Thermal
5Apr12, 1230
duration: 12:34
Albuquerque NM

Aliander
Glider/plane name and wingspan: Hype Fox 1800mm
Date and Time of flight: 5-4-2012 1629h
Duration of flight: 8:38 min

chickenwing
Glider/plane: Radian 2m
Date and Time of Flight: 08 Apr 12 3:30PM
Motor Run: 20 sec
Duration of flight: 8:30
Max. Altitude: 1,318 feet

Tim Lynch
Graupner Elektro Junior S - with Thermal Scout & Eagle Tree Altimeter
April 7, 11:30
Duration - 06:06
Max Altitude - 705' AGL
Weather - partly cloudy, low 80's, winds in the teens, gusting to low 20's
Sportsplex @ Coral Springs, FL

Open Class

Glider name: supraSTORKracing (3600 mm wingspan)
Date and Time of flight: April 9th 2012, start of flight 16:50 CET
Duration of flight: 00:41:455 (plus 22 s climb with motor)

320 pilot
Glider name:Pulsar 3.2 REF
Date and Time of flight:April 30, 2012 5:30pm
Duration of flight: 23: 40 (after 13 sec motor run)

Slope Leaderboard:
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 30, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
SSP ASP#88
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
Lance Brown (labrown)
Glider: Radian
Thermal
Date: April 1, 12:01AM
Duration: 11:50:52 (30 second power run)

I LED-ified my Radian and launched into a thunderstorm at 12:01AM. The swirling winds were a real challenge and I nearly lost the plane to a lightning strike. One tip is slightly melty looking now and it doesn't quite fly straight. I'll have to do something about that. The plane got blown so high all I could see what a glowing speck against the clouds, but it stayed up there! Truly amazing lift for so early in the day. Eventually, the coming sunlight gave me some additional thermal help, and it was an easy cruise until I just had to come in and land due to biological issues.

A truly AMAZING flight!
labrown is offline Find More Posts by labrown
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:04 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrown View Post
Lance Brown (labrown)
Thermal

I LED-ified my Radian and launched into a thunderstorm at 12:01AM. The swirling winds were a real challenge and I nearly lost the plane to a lightning strike. One tip is slightly melty looking now and it doesn't quite fly straight. I'll have to do something about that. The plane got blown so high all I could see what a glowing speck against the clouds, but it stayed up there! Truly amazing lift for so early in the day. Eventually, the coming sunlight gave me some additional thermal help, and it was an easy cruise until I just had to come in and land due to biological issues.

A truly AMAZING flight!
Cool....modified by.......God/nature!
Flight interrupted by call of nature.

I'll bet the lightning did not hit the plane, but you flew through some supeheated air/steam. I think thunder is generated by rapidly expanding superheated water vapor (if I remember my HS science correctly).
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrown View Post
Lance Brown (labrown)
Thermal

A truly AMAZING flight!
So, on April 1 (april fools day), 1 min. after midnight, you launched your radian (foam plane) into a thunderstorm and got struck by lightning. Not to mention, you flew for 11 hours, 50 min. and 52 seconds which resulted in a biological issue (in your pants?).

Nice flight!
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:27 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,292 Posts
Oh oh....I guess I've been punked....LOL.
I thought it was 11 minutes.....didn't notice the AM...
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:22 PM
SSP ASP#88
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
labrown is offline Find More Posts by labrown
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:13 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,292 Posts
Rascal!

Guess I'll have to change my avitar...
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:59 AM
Nederland, LI, Herkenbosch
Joined Jul 2011
91 Posts
Aliander
Date and Time of flight: 3-4-2012 1615h
Duration of flight: 7:22 min (+29 sec motor run)

Not such a good time, but it was the first of the year. Last year I flew 18 mins which is a lot better.. Maybe try again tomorrow if the weather permits...
Aliander is offline Find More Posts by Aliander
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Apr 2005
997 Posts
Robert Hubbard
Radiant Pro
Thermal
5Apr12, 1230
duration: 12:34
Albuquerque NM

High overcast, not much sunshine, calm. Found one flyable thermal in ten launches. Of course there was the guy with his 4M plane...may still be up for all I know.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:40 AM
Nederland, LI, Herkenbosch
Joined Jul 2011
91 Posts
Aliander
Duration of flight: 8:38 min (+29 sec motor run)

We're getting better But still not as good as I want to.
The problem is that most of the time I know there is some lift. And mostly I know approximately where. but I always manage to loose more altitude in the sink of the thermal than gaining in the lift. So I have a question: If the plane rises, but looses speed and continues to fly slowly does that mean lift or does that mean I just flew of the edge of it?
Aliander is offline Find More Posts by Aliander
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:11 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliander View Post
Aliander

The problem is that most of the time I know there is some lift. And mostly I know approximately where. but I always manage to loose more altitude in the sink of the thermal than gaining in the lift. So I have a question: If the plane rises, but looses speed and continues to fly slowly does that mean lift or does that mean I just flew of the edge of it?
Interesting question, I too would like to know what people think of this, I find that if that happens I circle around and watch for any lift, if there is none I widen the circle and if there is still none then I go look elswhere, if I do hit a bit of lift I then tighten the circle and adjust to stay in best lift.
I usually find lift best on calm days by watching plane carefully and if it hits turbulence then I start circling by turning into turbulence and do as above.
On windy days I find it much harder and really just rely on watching if plane is going up or down.
Sometimes I gain height by flying between an area that makes plane fly slow and and one that makes it fly fast, and staying in either does nothing but circling thought both seems to gain height????!!!! This is usually on windy days.

I'm sure there are better ways for thermal hunting and I would like to here what other people do, and what they think of my methods, constructive criticism is always welcome.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:40 AM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
647 Posts
Glider name: supraSTORKracing
Date and Time of flight: April 7th 2012, start of flight 11:40 CET
Duration of flight: 00:34:15 (plus 28 s climb with motor)
tender is offline Find More Posts by tender
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:47 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliander View Post
Aliander

It may be that different planes react differently, but generally speaking, my Radian Pro will slow down when it hits lift. It will speed up when it is leaving the zone of lift. Maybe the because the tail is in stronger updraft when leaving the lift zone, and vice versa when entering the lift zone.
The most obvious sign is when one wing dips, indicating that the opposite wing has encountered an updraft. That's when you turn into the high wing.

Other than that, it's just a matter of flying the plane a lot and learning how it reacts when it hits obvious lift. Trial and error.

I still have trouble staying in lift sometimes simply because I don't recognize exactly how far and how high the plane really is. As it gets closer in, it seems lower, and as it gets further out it seems higher, just because the plane appears smaller. Sometimes it appears that the plane is getting higher when it's really just getting further away. Depth perception.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 07, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:14 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
407 Posts
Tim Lynch
Graupner Elektro Junior S - with Thermal Scout & Eagle Tree Altimeter
Thermal -2M class
April 7, 11:30
Duration - 06:06
Max Altitude - 705' AGL
Weather - partly cloudy, low 80's, winds in the teens, gusting to low 20's
Sportsplex @ Coral Springs, FL

Pretty windy today. Seems like I did more surfing than flying & circling today.
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch