HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:13 PM
I do RVP
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Question
Scherrer LR V6.0 and RSSI Random Values

So I was hooking up the RSSI for my Scherrer V6 today. However, the EagleTree RSSI onscreen value appears to jump around randomly.

I have run the EagleTree servo wizard and turned the radio off & on at the appropriate times. My wiring is is connected to eLogger's TEMP1's center pin and TEMP1 is set to "yes" to show RSSI.

But the on-screen RSSI value appears to be jumping around at random. Should the value go down to zero (or near zero) whenever I turn off the radio? It doesn't. It just continues showing random values despite the radio being off! There is only a slight pattern to the RSSI randomness in that it seems like like 40, 60, 80, 100 a lot with no other values showing up.

The RSSI value will stay at 1 when I unplug the RSSI wire from the eLogger's TEMP1 connector. So the eLogger appears to be reading some kind of value from the Scherrer RX. I have checked the continuity with the RSSI wire and the soldering is good (electrical continuity is good).

From what I described, does it appear the DPCAV buffer modification is needed? I was under the assumption the newer Scherrer receiver's don't need any modification to read RSSI from EagleTree.
WEREE is offline Find More Posts by WEREE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi WEREE, when you ran the servo analyis wizard, was that from the PC or the stick menus? if you did it from the PC, a fix was made recently (in our alpha software 10.28) to address an issue with RSSI recording with that feature.

If you ran it thru the stick menus, one possibility is that the buffer is needed. If it's jumping around, that's more likely. You may want to post this issue in the RSSI thread in case there's something else specific to the Scherrer you have.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:26 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Hi Bill. Thanks for the info.

One more thing that might be relevant is during the servo analysis wizard, I do not have the aileron, elevator, or throttle channels connected. This particular setup is on an FPV helicopter and ET does not do RTH on helicopters yet so no point in connecting these. So what do I do when the wizard asks me to move these channels to certain positions? Of course, I can only skip that part. Would this affect the RSSI calibration? I wish there was a separate way to perform RSSI calibration without going through the servo wizard. Even on the planes, I'd rather not adjust well tuned aileron/elev/throttle position just to calibrate the RSSI.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Weree, no need to do anything during the wizard for unconnected servos. The RSSI should work fine regardless. Were you running it via the radio stick menus, or the PC software?

Yes, it sounds like we need to consider separating the RSSI calibration out the analysis wizard, if we don't get heli RTH working soon. This is actually partially there - there's an RSSI minimum level reset function in the on-screen menus, and we could just add an RSSI max reset. I've added this to the feature list.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Hi Bill. I performed RSSI calibrations several times using both PC setup and on the stick OSD but, unfortunately, no positive results. In my latest attempts, I often get just a static RSSI value of 1. That or a seemingly random RSSI values of 40, 60, 80, 100 that change every few seconds or so.

I'm not 100% if its this latest Scherrer V6 receiver. My FPV friends have the Scherrer V4 and V5 receivers working great with RSSI with no buffer modifications with EagleTree. I'd assume V6 would continue with this. No one else has used the latest V6 receivers yet.

This is my first time setting up Scherrer and RSSI so I have no comparison for RSSI setup unfortunately. I'll continue to research on the Scherrer end. Yes, setting up min/max RSSI separately would greatly benefit all users. Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Keep us posted on what you find.

Also, I've just added max RSSI reset to our alpha version 10.30, which should make your testing a lot easier. The min and max reset options are in the "Radio Control" menu (the min RSSI reset used to be in the "sensors and units" menu).
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:11 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Keep us posted on what you find.

Also, I've just added max RSSI reset to our alpha version 10.30, which should make your testing a lot easier. The min and max reset options are in the "Radio Control" menu (the min RSSI reset used to be in the "sensors and units" menu).
Hi Bill. Thanks for that quick change to the RSSI calibration. I will look forward to it in the next firmware release.

Thomas Scherrer just posted some very important information indicating that the RSSI output on the new V6 receivers are now amplified in addition to being buffered. I believe it is intended give more RSSI resolution.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9880

But he seems to imply that the OSD can be recalibrated for it and lists the new voltage levels. Perhaps some ET firmware can be updated for it if not.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Weree,

I beleive that the new voltage levels should be fine. All that should be required is to run the servo wizard (or use the new min and max RSSI options) to record the min and max RSSI.
Site Sponsor