HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Discussion
My very first FPV flight ever with my DJI Flame Wheel F550 Hexacopter w/ Vuzix goggle

OH MY GOD, what a rush.
I went by myself to a large park and brought my 4 batteries. Totally chickened out on the first battery and gave up until another time. Ran 2 more batteries playing around.
On my last battery I said screw it, there's not going to be a better time than now and the park is empty.

I took off FPV and hovered about 10ft, I kept taking the goggles off because I'd lose orientation.
The KX191 and the Vuzix works great especially especially since in the FOV I can see the ends of the arms and it gave me good reference.

Then I pretty much kept them on for about the last few minutes of the flight.
The biggest challenge I think was trying to disconnect myself from thinking Line of Sight and think that I'm back in the cockpit of my airplane. My mind would keep bouncing back and forth.
Then for about the last minute or so I kinda got it and had the mindset of flying it like a video game (I don't play video games, if I did it may have been easier) and I got into the groove of it a little and felt somewhat comfortable with controlling my rig.

But for that last minute or so what a friggn AWESOME feeling it was.
I can tell I'm gonna dig this A WHOLE LOT.

I can't wait to get good enough to be able to go cruising around all over the place.

Just want to say thank you very much for all the help I've had from everyone here.

I recorded with my ContourGPS and also the FPV view from the KX191 camera onto my Aiptek recorder.
I have a 900mhz 800mw TX and dual output 900-CCTV receiver.

http://youtu.be/D7kf4l0zqaE
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Mar 31, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:48 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
610 Posts
Thats awesome man! I myself chickened out on my first FPV flight yesterday. I thought i could do it myself the first time without a spotter, wrong! I took off my Twinstar put on my goggles and wow i kinda freaked out and took them off right away. Next time i am just going to do it! (hopefully with a spotter). But i can tell this is gonna be fun!
witstick is online now Find More Posts by witstick
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Ya, I would have liked to have a spotter around. I don't think I could have done it if it were an airplane or a helicopter.

But these multicopters are so stable and docile that hovering 10ft up and about 20ft away was ok by myself
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821