HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:57 AM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
Help!
E-Flite 10 AMP ESC Problems

I have 2 of the E-Flite 10 amp ESC's and neither will work properly with a Scorpion, E-Flite 300, E-Flite 280 motors. I don't have any other motors to try them on but I think it is not a motor issue. I called HH on this as I was trying to get a HH Grasshopper L4 flying and they sent me a new ESC 1st then a new E-Flite 280 motor next. The motors will work with other 10A ESC's from various MFG's. What is the deal? Guess I'll send them both back in and see what then say. Anyone else had this issue?
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:14 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
167 Posts
I'm trying to get the Cessna 150 flying and am having the same problems with the E-Flite 280 motor and E-Flite 10amp Pro Esc. The motor oscillates violently at start up and vibrates the whole plane a lot past mid stick. To make matters worse the esc runs the motor quite fast when the TX is shut off. I sent the setup to Horizon and just got it back tonight saying there was no problems. I even said in the note that the esc runs with no signal and they still said it was okay. Arahgrah frustrating, I will call them tommorow and see what they say. I may switch to a castle 10amp esc.

Mike
dabears720 is offline Find More Posts by dabears720
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:33 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Never shut off the tx before you unplug the battery to the plane/rx

The vibration issue is a bad prop or that its not mounted perfectly center.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Never shut off the tx before you unplug the battery to the plane/rx

The vibration issue is a bad prop or that its not mounted perfectly center.
I obviously know that, I was testing the ESC. Now I know that if my DX6i loses signal with the plane, the motor will keep running resulting in probable damage to aircraft and property. That is the exact OPPOSITE of the what the E-Flite ESC instructions say will happen. There is supposed to be automatic cutoff is signal is lost, and there is not.

Prop came balanced and there is no way to mount it other than perfectly center, unless you are talking about the spinner. I can assure you that it is seated properly.

Mike
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:30 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
167 Posts
Been playing with it and fixed the esc by rebinding the rx.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:41 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
ok, well a prop/motor will only vibrate alot if the shaft is bent, the prop is out of balance or the spinner is wonky.

You can check all three things by first, running the motor for a short burst without the prop installed. if its all smooth and the shaft is nice and straight, then mount the prop and test again.

If you get alot of vibration and your tracking is good (prop tips look even and are tracking along the same line when viewed edgewise), then one side of the prop is much heavier than the other. If all is smooth, then check again with the spinner mounted.

Just so you know, props rarely ever come balanced. Even the ones that state they were pre balanced
trust me.

Also, alot of nylon props are not perfectly drilled in the center. Most come with "precision rings" that you have to install to make the proper fit onto the shaft. Sometimes you will have to tap the pre drilled hole to make it bigger and then use one of the supplied "precision rings"
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Feb 08, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:51 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
Maybe it is the photo, but I don't like the alignment of spinner hub and motor shaft.. is the spinner hub/adapter drilled true?
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi