Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Discussion
In the market for another plane, not sure which direction to go

Finally decided it was time to pick up yet another plane, though I'm not sure what direction I want to go. Originally I was planning on the PZ Icon A5 but I'd only want to fly it off water and the nearest lake is kind of a long drive to just bring one plane. I'm planning on getting the PZ Albatross to compliment the SE5a, but what I really want is something different than I already have, so now I'm looking at either the F27-Q Stryker or a 3D capable plane. E-Flite has the Mini Funtana X but I can't find much discussion of it here. Everything in the 3D forum is all about 3D Hobby Shop, so I've been looking at the 42 AJ Slick, though I guess if I were smart I would get one of their foamies to learn with, and just get past the silly looks.

I'm hoping people here will push me in one direction or another.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,663 Posts
Get one of them flat wing foamies, or an airfoil foamie. You'll have a blast.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:49 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
if you can fly a plane with ailerons you can certainly fly a small balsa like the 42'' AJ slick. I find balsa is easyer to fly than foam and a lot more fun. just do not do everything down low untill you are comfortable with it.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Get a 100MPH jet! April Fools!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,431 Posts
One word!

FUNCUB!

Check the foamies section..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209004

Brad said if it could make biscuits I would be history! And ours is not
even put together yet!
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:58 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,208 Posts
Balsa 3d planes make great sport planes when you tone down the rates. If you have not gotten into 3d yet foamies are fun and stress free. I would hate the stress of learning 3d maneuvers on a balsa aircraft without first knowing somewhat what to do by practicing on a foamy. I usually learn new 3d stuff on the simulator, then a foamy, then balsa. You can't go wrong with 3dhs pretty much. For foamies i like twisted hobbys.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
That Funcub actually looks like a blast but I'm not sure if it's quite what I'm looking for right now. I think a guy I know in town actually has one but hasn't flown it yet. The upshot of this one is it looks like I could use it at some really gnarly fields.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
I vote for this 10M Nimbus sailplane
http://www.icare-rc.com/nimbus4_10m.htm
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I vote for this 10M Nimbus sailplane
http://www.icare-rc.com/nimbus4_10m.htm
Just what I was looking for!
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
Ok so i'm on my second plane now and thought i would give you my opinion. I was going to go the foam 3d style after learning on my pz t-28. I went to a local swap meet and there found a balsa extreme flight 45 inch edge 540t (the old version). Got it for a steal so i had to get it. I was going to hang this on the wall till i got better and was still going to buy a foamy. That weekend i took it out to show the guys and though I have only been flying 2 months they told me to take it up. I did not regret it! Super stable and what a blast. It saved me the money on another foamy. My advice is what others have said. Go with the balsa (if you are confident). Either the 3dhs or extreme flight are great.
rc_newbie1991 is offline Find More Posts by rc_newbie1991
Last edited by rc_newbie1991; Apr 02, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I've actually been looking at the 3DHS 48" Extra EPP - Foam, but supposed to be fantastic to fly and a bit more forgiving of early 3D mistakes. Same gear will also work in the 48" Edge. Still haven't ordered anything but I'm leaning towards foam for now.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
840 Posts
The thing with 3D planes is that they are super stable. Most people, my self included, crash 3D planes when you are doing 3D type moves. On the whole they are very slow flying stable planes. The hard part is avoiding 3d moves till you have the skills.
Corelli is offline Find More Posts by Corelli
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Silly looks???

The real silly looks are on the faces of the pilots who are watching me fly and complimenting the plane and how well it flies.. Then I land and they see that "it's just a foamie" LOVE IT!!!
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I don't care for the profile look of the smaller 3DHS foamies but at the time I wrote the OP I wasn't aware of the larger "full" fuselage 48" foamies they have. Just waffling between the EPP Extra and the 47" balsa Extra.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:41 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
I have an Extreme Flight 47.5" Yak, balsa .. and a 3DHS 55" Extra, also balsa and they both fly SO NICE! I have a 55" Foam MX2 and it flies OK, but nothing like the 2 quality balsa planes. I've never flown a 3DHS foam, so ......

bdshort - I don't care for the profile look either. Just my opinion. If I flew one, I just might change my mind. Anyone want to send me one and try to convert me?

Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy