HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2001, 07:22 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Mix 'n Match GWS IPS Gears?

Just wondering if anyone has tried running GWS IPS DX motors in a different GWS IPS geardrive to produce a custom ratio. For instance, the DX-A motor has a 14-tooth gear, and the A geardrive has an 82-tooth gear to produce the advertised 5.86:1 ratio. The D motor has a 9-tooth gear, and the D geardrive has an 87-tooth gear for a final 9.66:1 ratio.

For instance, if you put an A motor in a D geardrive, the 14- and 87-tooth gears produce a ratio of 6.2:1. Since there are so many different standard ratios already available, I'm not sure how useful this mix 'n match strategy might prove to be.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2001, 07:54 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts
Dave

I'd think you would have to butcher the case to get the gears to mesh. I am using a B drive with a carbon motor booster on the side, with a 10 tooth gear from an old futaba servo. The two motors are well matched and quite punchy when the ESC's opened up.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Nov 04, 2001, 08:35 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Shame on me for being so lazy. I just assumed they would slide right in place. Just tried sliding an A motor into a D drive, and the gears, in fact, do not mesh. Next time I'll do my homework. In the meantime, I'll let this thread live so that others will know that it is not a simple matter of sliding one motor out and another in.
Old Nov 05, 2001, 08:42 AM
Northwest Arkansas
Joined Sep 2001
6 Posts
Hey Dave

Do you know of anyone that sells just the lg or
spur gears for the GWS gearboxes. Also need a gearbox frame. Damaged mine on a nose in approach This was on my gws pico j3 f.
Thanks!
Chickenman is offline Find More Posts by Chickenman
Old Nov 05, 2001, 11:47 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
I have never seen the gearbox frame sold separate. Let me know if anyone else has. I damaged my gearbox (broke in half) after shearing the wings off my TM when hitting uppper branches of a tree at the bottom of a loop this weekend. This broke the fuselage in half and the wings in half. These are easy to glue back together and I have already done that. For the price of a complete GWS motor gearbox you are almost half way to the price of a new plane. Same thing with wings and fuselage as spare parts, each of them costs about $20. So, I ordered another TM and I will now have spares of everything. I hated to do this but buying in pieces just doesn't work out.

BTW, my four-year-old son and all the kids in the neighborhood thought the crash into the topmost branches and resulting plunge to the ground while the wing pieces fluttered down was the coolest thing they had seen in a while. They wanted to know if I could put it back together right then and do it again.

Regards, Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Nov 05, 2001 at 11:49 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2001, 12:12 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi.gj! Rekit? why just watch this! I've had to re-learn how cool that is because these days if there's no way it can survive, I laugh too! Get SPARES !! cost is low and parts always needed, well by me at least! Last evening I hit the buick under the yard light. fix,fix,fix, Best Regard
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Nov 05, 2001, 12:16 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
I don't believe that the IPS gearbox is sold separately. Since most people at one time or another need to buy a separate motor anyway, it is probably more economical just to buy a whole new motor/gearbox assembly.
Old Nov 05, 2001, 12:38 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,925 Posts
gjohson

At $ 16.oo a pop for the DX series at Todd's, plus the fact that you just have to think about ordering and its in the post, tied to the leg of an extremely fast owl, winging its way to you while you call your order in. Arriving at your door seconds after you change browsers or hang the phone up after ordering. (I'm beginning to think Todd is Harry Potter's brother.) You should order quite a few. Just to keep the neighbor's kids entertained, y' see..

Kid's nowadays have this thing about crashing and smashing model planes as being real cool. Was I like that? I can't remember..

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Nov 05, 2001, 06:52 PM
Wayward Pilot
USA, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Sep 2001
826 Posts
Dave-
I think you were on to something, but from my days of nitro rc cars I believe you'd need an even number of teeth on the pinion with an even number on the spur. With that you'd still probably have to have spacing adjustment for the two gears since same pitch spurs ith different tooth counts should have to be different diameters.
JREEVES is offline Find More Posts by JREEVES
Old Nov 05, 2001, 07:04 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
I think it would be a heck of a lot of work just to get a gear ratio somewhere between two existing ratios. If it was plug and play, that would be a different story. I only have a limited amount of time in the day to devote to R/C, so I can't afford to spend a lot of time on something with minimal payoff.