HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Help!
JXD 340 Drift King Body Spin Problems

So recently I was flying my Drift King and I made the mistake of letting my friend try to fly it and he crashed it pretty bad. After the crash it never really flew the way it used to. Then while I was flying it over my friends indoor pool to see if I could. It just ever so slightly touched the water and then went on the haywire. I took it apart and cleaned the circuit board and I got it working good again. Besides one thing. The body spins so uncontrollably. The trim knob kinda works, but its incredibly sensitive, and if I do manage to get it flying stable one little push of the right stick and it starts spinning unbelievably out of control. Also a little side not it seems when I'm flying it and its not spinning it seems to want to go into what I believe is called TheToilerBowl effect. To the point where the blades hit each other and it goes down. Been looking it up and I cant really figure out what it is. Maybe something about the blades spinning at different speeds? Anyway, I know its a cheap heli and I could just buy another. But I want to see if I can try to salvage it, plus I would feel alot better working on this helicopter than a expensive model for learning experience. Ill try to take a video

Random side not: When I was trying to fly over the pool it seemed like there was an invisible force field between the concrete and where the pool started. It just didn't seem like it wanted to go over the water. Anyways thanks again for taking the time to read this.
Hawkman13 is offline Find More Posts by Hawkman13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:20 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
I don't think your heli likes the water because it's IR. There's a lot of glare/light coming off the surface of the water. Check your upper/lower rotors to make sure they are not spinning on the shaft. Grab the gears below and turn each of the shafts to check this. If the shaft is met with resistance...this is good. If the rotor turns, the screw is not on the flat spot of the shaft. If you told us which way your heli spins, that would narrow it down as to which rotor is giving you the problem.

BTW, keep your heli away from sunlight (even coming through the window), TV's, fluorescent lights. I have even heard of helis falling after flying over an incandescent light.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
The body spins either way. If I turn the trim knob either way it starts to spin that way. It's just like it works normal but at like hyperdrive speed. The right stick and trim knobs are extremely sensitive. I will check the gears when I get home though.
Hawkman13 is offline Find More Posts by Hawkman13
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Problem

I had a crash and mine spins to the right. It seems like the bottom prob is having trouble spinning correctly...
trumpetguy is offline Find More Posts by trumpetguy
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I had a crash and mine spins to the right. It seems like the bottom prob is having trouble spinning correctly...
I'm just going by what I know about coax's. I don't own a Drift King and it seems not too many other members own them either by the responses (or lack of) so, I will try my best to help you. Did you check the shafts/rotors as explained in my last post? Are the blades OK? You may want to remove the top rotor and top blade grips to inspect the blade grips pins. One or both could be broke. Check for pet hair wrapped around the shafts too (don't forget the rear prop).

BTW, welcome to RCG. I also got your PM but, this is the best way...posting here so many can learn from one another

Mike.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Thanks Mike. I'll check all of that out, I hope something works...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I fixed my Drift King! I took it apart at it looked like when I crashed it, the gear at the base of the motor controlling the top blade came loose. It was still working but just by friction. I pushed it back up into place and put a dab of gorilla glue and let it dry. Now it works perfectly! I look forward to getting into flying RC helicopters even more!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,539 Posts

I have one of these and for what it is not to bad at all. Throddle needs contant attension but bird flys well. Downside is controller for indoors. I bought it from Nito models and they were out of 2.4 units. I have a few 2.4 units coming from Asia. HK.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I fixed my Drift King! I took it apart at it looked like when I crashed it, the gear at the base of the motor controlling the top blade came loose. It was still working but just by friction. I pushed it back up into place and put a dab of gorilla glue and let it dry. Now it works perfectly! I look forward to getting into flying RC helicopters even more!
Thanks for the update. Was that the motor pinion gear? Is it nylon? If so, Gorilla Glue or any CA will not hold for long. If it comes loose again, try some thread wrapped around the motor shaft and CA it as you work a few wraps. Do this to both the top and bottom of the gear. Glad you are back in the air

Mike.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
JXD Drift King 340 Spinning

Hi All,

I recently got a JXD Drift King 340 and was looking forward to a neat ltlle helicopter. I only flew it a couple of times and it came down and jit the wall lightly, no damage to blades or anything. After that it only goes in clockwise circles, and won't lift off anymore. I have initiated a return, so hopefully I will get a new one. What can I do to p[revent this from happening again? What causes this and what is the fix? It doesn't seem to have enough power to take off.
gbtr6 is offline Find More Posts by gbtr6
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Apr 2005
375 Posts
Purchased a couple of Drift Kings when Amazon had them at $20.00 each and they still fly well, altho I have not flown them much.

From what I have read on RCG, what you have experienced is fairly common and is the result of the top rotor motor gear becoming loose. Trumpetguy's post (#7) took care of the problem but as mentioned later, may be a temporary fix.

A thought: Recently trying Mode 2 and not being too familiar with it for helis, I crashed my Drift King into the wall and released the throttle stick before it fell to the floor but the blades were still spinning under power as it lay on the floor for a sec or so until I realized that the Drift King throttle stick is not spring loaded as with the Syma S107 helis that I fly more often. The heli survived the crash fortunately, but turning off the throttle completely at the instant of the crash might help minimize the chance of that gear loosening from its motor shaft. Flying off a carpeted floor also helps.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer