HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
either way i need to buy a reciever for my new plane so i figure why not just buy a radio thats better then the dx6i that comes with a reciever so yea im kinda stuck between the futaba 8fg and the A9 they both seem great but the 8fg looks a little hard to figure out the menu screen and buttons
VENOMiTry is offline Find More Posts by VENOMiTry
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
im stuck between the a9 and the 8fg i think the a9 has an easier menu than the 8fg. can you guys give some info on how the a9 has worked for you as in like have you had any problems with it?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:15 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,208 Posts
The touch screen makes the A9 super easy to navigate through the screens. All optima receivers have what's called an spc port which can tell you the voltage on your battery. No extra stuff to buy is needed. Then you set a low voltage alarm instead of a timer. It has 2 timers if you want to use that though. I recently got mine and compare it to a dx6i on my blog. It is a great radio that you won't be disappointed with(the futaba won't disappoint either but i've never had one) the only problem ive had is i broke a switch cause i dropped it but thats my fault you shouldnt drop a 400 dollar radio, i ordered a new one a replaced it no problem.. Very cool radio for sure.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:16 AM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
the A9 is hands down easier to program than the 8FG. not only because of the menu arrangement, but the touch screen is very simple. if you can use a phone you can program the A9. speaking of the menu, on the A9 everything is organized under tabs like looking through a file explorer. for example the "Model" tab has all your model specific menu options like EPA, Reversing, mixes, etc.. and there is a "System" tab that has the radio centric settings, and a "custom" tab that you can add your own quick sets to.

Hitec Aurora 9 Model Menu ACRO (8 min 39 sec)

but you really wouldnt go wrong with either one. they are excellent radios. i think the A9 feels better in my hands than my buddies 8FG, but thats personal preference.
i used to fly only Futaba, but on a whim i ordered an A9 just because i was curious. now thats all i use.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Last edited by GeetarJoe; Mar 31, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
personaly i kinda think the 8fg is a ugly radio it just looks so big for no reason but the a9 has an awesome look and looks very comfortable to hold so i think i might go with the a9. what all does the a9 come with and how much is it?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:30 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,208 Posts
Use the link from hobbyhorse i posted earlier and you get the A9 with 2 optima 7 channel RXs. Then send a copy of the receipt to Hitec and they send you a free optima 7. You can also buy one other RX for 50% off and a programmer for 50% off when you send in for the free optima 7. If you like to use a neck strap you might want a balancer and it doesnt come with one.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
thanks everyone for all the info