HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Question
Help me decide: MCPX or Genius CP or V120D02S

Hi all,
I've stopped RC heli'ing for about a year, and wants to get back to it. My experience is with 4G6S and Trex 250 Flybarr'ed (which both I crash quite often, 1 every 10 or so flight). I even dunked the 4G6S into a river on my last flight.

The repairs caused my frustration and stopped to cool down for a while. Now my main question: Which of the 3 should I get if I hope for:
1. Decent crash survivability
2. Low maintainability (I see Genius CP and MCPX has brushed motor, which is my main concern. Upgrading to DBL would add weight, which lowers the crash survivability rite?)
3. Great for sports flying

I'm actually leaning towards Genius CP with DBL upgrade. But can anyone comment on the crash survivability on it with the added weight? (I don't mind to reduce the throttle to make it the same RPMs as stock motor)

I also like the V120d02s, saw some vids on it crashing and not dying...

MCPX is recommended by so many people, but living in asia means I don't have HH's support and all.

Thanks all for your time in helping me.

PS: I have a 2801Pro, means MCPX is a lot of $$$ to me since I'll need another DX6i which costs like $160... (not to mention the motor upgrade?)
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:47 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Mini CP.

Definitely dont buy the DBL kit regardless
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:49 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thloh85 View Post
Hi all,
I've stopped RC heli'ing for about a year, and wants to get back to it. My experience is with 4G6S and Trex 250 Flybarr'ed (which both I crash quite often, 1 every 10 or so flight). I even dunked the 4G6S into a river on my last flight.

The repairs caused my frustration and stopped to cool down for a while.
Get the Phoenix Simulator.

http://www.phoenix-simv3.com/default.asp
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:42 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,987 Posts
hey thloh85,
I bought a mCPX for practicing flight manovers I want to learn... and I can tell you, if you expect to crash often I can't recommend the mCPX... even though it survives a couple of crashes, the mCPX has become kind of a money sink... just have a look at the prices of the replacement parts...
the reports for the Mini CP are quite good, so I guess that's the better option
I think you don't need a DBL for quite some time... for the mCPx I know for sure... for that money you can buy quite many replacement motors, and with pitch range adjusted properly (which however is VERY important, most folks overdo here) it will fly decently
actually, maybe a CP is not the best option for you, at the end of the day these are delicate helis, if you would consider FP, you might find solutions which are much more suitable for you... just read e.g. erdnuckel2's blog on the FP... some seem to really last for ever...
have fun, Olli
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:59 AM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
I have a miniCP, and love it. I would lean towards the v120d02s. I was planning on getting a d02s in the near future its a great heli and flies very well. So does the mini, the genius is not quite as nice as the mini out of the box. The mcpx I havent flown so I cant say
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
Mcpx parts can be found in any hobby store that carries Eflight products...walkera changes their products too much and local hobby store support is almost none..
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:19 PM
hmmm...
Joined Sep 2008
1,370 Posts
I just bought a mcpx v2 about 2 weeks ago, luv the thing. For stock out of the box it can do loops, rolls, inverted, flips, etc. It also can do fast forward flight as well. As far as durability I have crashed about 100 times lol and only things I have broken are a tail boom and 2 tiny links in the head.

Great flying heli out of the box and can also can be upgraded to brushless down the road.

I would suggest extending the boom on it with solid carbon fiber 2mm rod 3/4 of an inch longer then stock, behaves so much better then stock tail boom.

all in all one of my fav helicopters I have owned in the past 4 years and I have owned alot.

just my 2 cents
HeliStyle is offline Find More Posts by HeliStyle
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:13 AM
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
So...
1. DBL for Genius CP is crap
2. MCPX is nice (subjective)
3. No votes for V120d02s (not durable?)
4. None for upgrading my Trex 250

Anyone else could share their opinion for durability and fly feel of your micro CP heli?
Thanks everyone who posted here...
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:21 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,323 Posts
I have got the V120D02S, Genius, MCPx, and also a Trex 250. The V120D02S beats both the Genius CP and MCPx in almost all areas except durability and the ability to fly indoors. It is very stable to hover and fly around slowly, yet it can reach breathtaking speeds in FFF and is excellent as a basic 3D trainer. Its larger size means that it more translatable to flying larger helis. For general sports flying, very little maintenance is required. You should be able to fly 50 to 100 packs with the V120D02S easily without any repairs. Of course, the same applies to the Genius CP and MCPx as well.

However, things are different if you want to use it for 3D training. This is when durability could make a big difference in terms of cost. The parts for the MCPx cost more than Walkera parts, but the design is much more "plug n play", so that you can easily carry out repairs at the flying field. The Trex 250 is really great for sports flying as well and is the most reliablle heli I have ever own. It will fly much easier if you convert to FBL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizziks View Post
Mcpx parts can be found in any hobby store that carries Eflight products...walkera changes their products too much and local hobby store support is almost none..
The OP has already said he lives in Asia and there is no HH support. There are actually countries in the world where there is a lot of local support of Walkera products and almost none for Blade helis. Walkera would have gone out of business a long time ago if it depended on the N. American market for its business.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Apr 02, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:38 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

The repairs caused my frustration and stopped to cool down for a while. Now my main question: Which of the 3 should I get if I hope for:
2. Low maintainability (I see Genius CP and MCPX has brushed motor, which is my main concern. Upgrading to DBL would add weight, which lowers the crash survivability rite?)

I'm actually leaning towards Genius CP with DBL upgrade. But can anyone comment on the crash survivability on it with the added weight? (I don't mind to reduce the throttle to make it the same RPMs as stock motor)

MCPX is recommended by so many people, but living in asia means I don't have HH's support and all.

PS: I have a 2801Pro, means MCPX is a lot of $$$ to me since I'll need another DX6i which costs like $160... (not to mention the motor upgrade?)
My vote is for the V120D02S I find it the best of my 30 little heli's..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
982 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

I have flown every micro heli probly on the market, I was a big fan of walkera when I first started out..

but when I bought the mc pee x v2, I never look back.. out the box with some minor tweaking the a m c p x kills it..

here is a video of my stock m c p x with just an extended tailboom well I guess you can say stocks in since I extended the tailboom lol

Blade mCpx V2 Stock 3D Flight With Walkera 6mm Tail motor (3 min 1 sec)

but I can't knock down walkera, the v120d02s is 1 of the most stable r c helicopters I have ever flown n yes even inverted it's just a stable it up right here is a vid of mine

Walkera V120D02S Super Stable (5 min 58 sec)

I also have videos of my other helis minicp geniuscp on my youtube channel go check it out..

personally I like them all but the m c pee x vee2 is my favorite

hope this helps my 2 cents that is lol

farmer
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
My vote is for the V120D02S I find it the best of my 30 little heli's..
Hi Bob

Been seeing your name everywhere. You've got so many heli I couldn't afford half of what you have

BTW, I saw v120d02s flights, they're amazing, but is it more durable than Trex 250 FBL? I had 4g6 and the crash costs is equal if not more than Trex 250's crash (in fact Trex 250 crashes always costs me the plastic main blades and the tail boom, the 4G6 I had usually kills more things per crash, ie. tail boom, shaft, gears, bent main shaft(the main shaft I think is made of butter compared to the 250's shaft), and the blades)
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
I bought a mCPX for practicing flight manovers I want to learn... and I can tell you, if you expect to crash often I can't recommend the mCPX... even though it survives a couple of crashes, the mCPX has become kind of a money sink... just have a look at the prices of the replacement parts...
exactly.. and the fact there are like 600 upgradable parts for it. to me it's toy grade (has the same type of cheesy servo my $49 solo pro has)..

the mini cp fly nice and very precise out of the box with little if any modding needed.. there was a video of Manny beating the crap out of it and it just kept flying (i'll see if i can find a link to that video again).

edit; here it is..
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Last edited by scub; Apr 02, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:06 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bob

Been seeing your name everywhere. You've got so many heli I couldn't afford half of what you have

BTW, I saw v120d02s flights, they're amazing, but is it more durable than Trex 250 FBL? I had 4g6 and the crash costs is equal if not more than Trex 250's crash (in fact Trex 250 crashes always costs me the plastic main blades and the tail boom, the 4G6 I had usually kills more things per crash, ie. tail boom, shaft, gears, bent main shaft(the main shaft I think is made of butter compared to the 250's shaft), and the blades)
Yes,, just add the slipper clutch, servo saver, D05 skids.. And unless you really pile it in it's pick up and fly away.. Some times if it bounces just right it will land on it's skids so you don't even have to pick it up just fly away...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:12 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,323 Posts
Your 4G6s is a rather unreliable heli and your flybarred Trex 250 is very difficult to fly. If you are interested in sports flying only, I would recommend that you convert your 250 to FBL first. You will crash much less once the conversion has been made because the heli will handle wind much better and respond much more predictably to your control. The Align 3GX with FBL head combo would be a good choice. You can also buy a cheaper FBL head and use a Walkera 2702D receiver. The Trex 250 is actually quite durable if you fly over grass.

For some reason, smaller CPs are just not as reliable yet. They are great for learning 3D because they survive crashes much better. But you will crash much more with them in the first place. Otherwise, my preference for sports flying and beginner 3D would definitely be the V120D02S.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw