HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
Discussion
Small Engine/Carburetor Cleaner

Hello everyone,
I don't do much with gas powered planes or engines so I don't know too much about them. The other day and older gentleman gave me an old Testors McCoy .049 engine. It is all gummed up and I can only move the shaft a few degrees and that alone is hard to do. I would like just to fool around with it in my free time and maybe one of these days get it running.

To get all the gunk out of it I think I will soak it in some carb cleaner solution. My only reservation is if there is something in the engine that the carb cleaner could destroy. Is there anything in this engine I need to worry about? Like gaskets or possibly plastic?

I have taken a back plug off the engine to where I can see where the piston connects to the shaft, and I have taken off the glo plug off top so I can see the top of the piston. I did this so the carb cleaner can get inside the engine itself.

So would this be a good thing to do?

Thanks,
Nicholas
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
Transplant in 1996
United States, NE, Scribner
Joined Aug 2011
195 Posts
I just soak in my crockpot with antifreeze. It takes about 2 days, but everything I have done this way has come out great. I put my .49 lot of engines in first to test, was able to get all but 1 to run.
Transplant92 is offline Find More Posts by Transplant92
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,496 Posts
That along with the heat helps loosen everything up. I do this when I replace bearing, or loosen stuck wristpins. Need to rinse good afterwards and oil.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:22 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,663 Posts
Put some raw glow fuel in it, let it sit for a while and see if that won't start to dissolve all the gunk. You can do this from the venturi, the back plate, and on the top of the piston. When things free up, then pull it apart and finish cleaning it.

Another option would be to put it in a small container submerged in glow fuel and let it soak for a while. That should also work to free it up to the point you can disassemble it.

An engine that small generally won't need to be cleaned in a crock pot unless its really coated with varnish.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,515 Posts
you will be suprised what a heat gun can do with an old gummed up engine.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
So I let the engine sit in carb cleaner for six hours. It looks a lot better and I can now spin the shaft 360 degrees. It's fairly easy to spin, I don't know if it could be easier though. I would like to break the engine down into all of it's parts and go from there with the cleaning process.

I now have the glo plug off and I have the back piece off what else can I take off or do to dismantle it further.

Thanks for all the advice so far,
Nicholas
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:50 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Heat with heat gun or hair dryer to get it moving. Then use fuel or solvent followed by oil to clean out the heat softened gunk.

Crock pot with antifreeze is very good for a thorough cleaning but remove ALL plastic parts as you can destroy them.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old May 06, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
590 Posts
Here's how I went about cleaning the engine - http://www.backroomworkdesk.com/2012...d-disassembly/