HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,078 Posts
Help!
How Does RCexl test Kit work?

Pardon my ignorance but this thing makes no sense to me.
I got a new RCexl ignition test kit today. It came with NO instructions No explanation where to connect it, NO indication of what it tells you or how to see the results. The card with it said it is for testing the ignition without starting the engine and it said instructions included. They fibbed!

Does anybody know where there is a manual for this thing?

I also got a timing testor with a light and a degree wheel. I understand the timing light but How to I mount the degree wheel? And what do I set the pointer pointing to to indicate TDC? I know how to find TDC but don't understand how to use the wheel.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,844 Posts
I have the ignition set-up for a Saito twin.
Let's set up the degree wheel first..After you have located TDC,mount the degree wheel with 0 pointing straight up.
With the prop shaft facing you locate an area on the front bearing housing and strike a mark at twenty eight degrees, to YOUR right.on the housing.
Don't drive yourself crazy if it's 27,or 29 degrees.....the mount is adjustable.
I used the mounting CLAMP,not the bolt-on mount.
I didn't buy the tester,so I can't help you on hook up.
I do know you can test the system for spark ,by hooking it up and turning it on.Then wave the magnet under the sensor and the system will"fire" if not,turn the sensor over and pass the magnet by that side,then it'll fire.
That test can be done with the unit off the engine.
There is a set-up video at RCEXL to watch and learn.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:35 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,078 Posts
The degree wheel is a 2 piece plastic affair with an arrow on ine piece that rotates. The whole thing is a solid plastic ring about 4" in dia. with the graduations around it. HOW does this thing mount to anything? There is no hole and no indication that it is securable to the prop shaft even if I distroy it by drilling??
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,177 Posts
The tester unit I have is maybe the size of a large postage stamp. it substitutes for the timing sensor on the engine. This is the magnet pickup sensor, usually mounted on the front of the engine. You plug it in, in place of the timing sensor. The potentiometer on top of the board controls the speed, sort of like increasing or decreasing the RPMs on a engine. So when you power up the ignition system, the spark plug should spark like crazy.

it is important to ensure the spark gap is no more than what the spark plug is set for. Do not try to see how long of a spark you can draw. That will only kill the ignition coil and transistor drivers on the ignition module.

I have temporarily misplaced my tester unit. As soon as I figure out where it is, if I have instructions, I'll scan the instructions in for it and post it for everyone. Of course don't do it with the engine fueled up and drawing fuel though.

One can also use the engine too. You can leave the spark plug out and clamped against the engine and flip the prop with the ignition system powered up and connected and you should see a spark on the plug every time the magnet goes past the sensor.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,078 Posts
Thanks Earlwb. That explains that piece. I understand it's function now.
Now if I knew how to attach the degree wheel to check the timeing I would be set.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:47 AM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
check out these videos:

MT-35 TDC Timing.MPG (3 min 15 sec)

and on this video at about 1:00 in he shows how to set up the timing on an engine by measuring it with a dial caliper. works on any engine. simple and easy.
MT-35.MPG (3 min 39 sec)
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:45 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,078 Posts
OK, it is clear to me now. I will drill the plastic degree wheel and it should not be any problem to do the rest. If the wheel had a hole or instructions telling you to drill it this would not have been confusing. The caliper method is quite neat and simple too.
Thanks for all the help.