Closed Thread
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:54 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
213 Posts
Discussion
Bird of Time ARF Center Section

Hi Guys, I just bought a used Bird Of Time ARF that someone had tried to convert to electric. I finished the E-covert, installed spoilers and test flew it tonight for the first time.

My question is: On my third landing I dropped a wingtip and spun it in. Nothing bad. It was going very slow. It landed right side up on soft grass. Didn't even mark the wingtip. When I took the wing off the fuse there was a rip/crack in the white Mono-cote at the Center section of the wing. I know I've read here that some of the BOT's wing roots were weak. Is there any way I can tell if mine is an early version with a weak center section? As I said, I didn't buy it new and have no idea how long this guy had it before I came along.

If so, I'll cut away the covering and stiffen it up. What method have any of you guys used on the BOT's wings to do this little trick?

Thanks for any advice,

Paul M
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
The BOT arf was known for poor center section strength. I just went and glassed mine.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:20 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
213 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I think that I'll do the same. Glassing the top & bottom over should stiffen it up. I don't really want to take the chance of folding it up, not after I've done so much work to straighten it out and get it to fly right.

Thanks
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Closed Thread