HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:36 AM
Alicante, Espaņa
Joined Jun 2010
379 Posts
First, because I already have a DL, second, because I have had the possibility of testing both systems side by side, in same conditions, for more than two years, because my friends have TLRS. And DL is by far more powerfull than TLRS even at 2W. I have gone to 30 km with the normal DL antenna, from a place under the sea level and full of interferences (not from a top of a mointain at 20 km of the nearest town), and my friends can't go further than 12 km with TLRS, even with 2 watts.

In fact, they have bought DL also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Why not TSLRS?
catamar is offline Find More Posts by catamar
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:42 AM
Alicante, Espaņa
Joined Jun 2010
379 Posts
"catamar, if you make your Tx output 12ch, you can connect the LRS module directly to the Tx and get 12ch, without extra devices (as long as the 12ch format is compatible)"

Yes, I know that, but I think this product is to transmit the signal from my transmiter to the DL transmiter wirelessly. And of course, the wire possiblility is obvious. Also I understand perfectly waht is this system for.

My only doubt is how to transmit 12 channels from my Turnigy (that have this possibility) to this device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FpvKiwi View Post
catamar, if you make your Tx output 12ch, you can connect the LRS module directly to the Tx and get 12ch, without extra devices (as long as the 12ch format is compatible). If you do want to control the LRS module wirelessly, your 2.4GHz system needs to be capable of accepting 12ch. I don't think many systems are capable of that so read up on your particular link brand before trying.

The purpose of the UHF repeater is to combine 12 servo signals into one PPM signal and to power a Rx with 5V. Once you have the PPM signal, just feed it to the LRS module. Some people use a long cable between the Tx and the module to place the module somewhere else.
catamar is offline Find More Posts by catamar
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Jun 2009
271 Posts
Quote:
Why not TSLRS?
We were only able to get 10 working ch from tslrs.
Hooks is offline Find More Posts by Hooks
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Jun 2009
271 Posts
I agree about DL. We have tested every known uhf (also china modules). Performance DL in way ahead.
Hooks is offline Find More Posts by Hooks
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:20 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks View Post
We were only able to get 10 working ch from tslrs.
Ah there's the answer I was looking for, not some pro-DL rant. I guess the rivalry between DL- and TSLRS-users hasn't died after all.

However I'm interested in why this doesn't work? I thought that the DL ans TSLRS was almost identical in many aspects such as how the input PPM-signal needs to be regarding variable frame length etc. I have a Futaba 12FG myself and are well aware that the TSLRS doesn't like Futabas own 12ch PPM-signal with its variable repeat time. But I also know that this is the case regarding DL as well.

Also regarding latency, I'm surprised that I can't get a better answer then "you won't notice it other when flying 3D helis". Surely the developers of this system must know how much latency their own system adds?
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:28 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Also regarding latency, I'm surprised that I can't get a better answer then "you won't notice it other when flying 3D helis". Surely the developers of this system must know how much latency their own system adds?
I hope to have one soon. I'll try and measure the latency with a scope and report back.
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined May 2011
2 Posts
Hi Ian Davidson I sent it to you today so you have it soon.

regards John
John Jensen is offline Find More Posts by John Jensen
Last edited by John Jensen; Apr 03, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:56 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
You're not from round these parts, are ya?
I LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jensen View Post
Hi Ian Davidson I sent it to you today so you have it soon.

regards John
waiting in anticip........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........ation!
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
When added to cart on BEVRC it says 119$. How can it be so cheap ?
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:17 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,949 Posts
I don't think adding yet another frequency spectrum to the mix is a positive.

However I do see the benefit if the product can take 12channel from the rx and convert it to a constant frame 12 channel ppm. That has real benefit since many tx's have altered frame rates for higher numbers of channels.

That said there are other products that do that as well.

I am suprised to hear you say that additional delay is not a problem for FPV. Certainly beyond a certain amount of lag it can become a huge problem. Especially for relatively unstable platforms. What is the additional lag time added?
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:08 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,639 Posts
I agree with you billyd69, and since no one has answered my questions about latency my guess is that they don't know.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:31 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,949 Posts
Quote:
I agree with you billyd69, and since no one has answered my questions about latency my guess is that they don't know.
Yeah I was suprised by that statement. I stopped using my gopro for fpv because the lag was irritating and that was only about 1/4 second (estimate)

ps It's billyd60 not 69 you need to get your mind clean (just teasing)
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:23 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
My unit arrived a couple of days ago and although I've yet to have an opportunity to do much with it, other than simply check it fundamentally 'works' (which it does), I thought I'd quickly post a few new photos. I intend to provide much more feedback soon, so this is just a 'first impression' post.

What's immediately obvious though is that unlike many products designed for the FPV market, this one has a real commercial/professional feel to it, opposed to an all-too-often 'shrink wrapped' home-brew feel. The electronics are fully potted in a custom machined-aluminium housing, keeping them away from prying eyes and tampering fingers, while at the same time awarding it an industrial 'monolithic' feel. There are no screws to undo here. It's really nice!

In essence, what I see this unit 'bringing to the party' is...
  • The ability to make any UHF TX system compatible with any radio i.e. it eliminates the "How do I connect my Spektrum/Futaba/Hitec radio to my EzUHF/DragonLink/TSLRS etc". With this unit, gone too is the potential requirement to unscrew the back from your radio and hunt down that elusive PPM single.

• It enables you to place your UHF TX in the best location possible for your surroundings (i.e. high up and/or away from local obstructions) to ensure its optimum performance.

• In enables you to put serious distance between your UHF TX and your sensitive video RX equipment.

• It enables you to use multiple radios to control different aspects of the same aircraft (e.g. one for the pilot and another for the camera person).
As mentioned before, I will measure with a digital scope and report back any latency this unit adds, but from a very quick and superficial test, I wouldn't say I perceived any real increase in lag when putting this unit in-line with my UHF TX, compared with when it's not there. I wouldn't say this was the case however when comparing the standard Futaba FAAST 2.4 GHz TX/RX to the UHF TX/RX. That said, I will accurately quantify any lag very soon.

Last edited by Ian Davidson; Apr 11, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:07 AM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
703 Posts
That's a really nice looking product What does it say on the top; "Programmed by xxx.com"?
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:12 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
It is! It says, "Programmed by www.zepsus.com"