HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:48 PM
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Discussion
Ultra Micro T-28 Trojan VS Ultra Micro F4U

Hi all,

I was wondering which one among this (if any) is easier for a beginner.
I have a super cub, but since it is very heavy .. each crash is money :-(
Maybe I'm wrong, but the lighter it is, the less expensive might be the crash!

Thank you for your suggestions!
demiluk is offline Find More Posts by demiluk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:54 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,187 Posts
trojan is the best. the tricycle landing gear with steerable nose wheel is fun and nice. I like it better than tail draggers especially at first.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
53 Posts
Hello demiluk i have just started flying too and have started with the super cub lp. I would suggest you to start flying the super cub first. even though i have never flown both of the planes you have mentioned the super cub is very easy to fly. And yes theres the chance of crashing and yes i have crashed a couple times. But i have spent only $10 on glue just to fix the damage. All you have to do is glue the pieces back together. For example i flew the other day on a windy day(DONT DO THIS) and i split my wing in half. All i did was use the $10 glue i had and some duck tape and it was all fixed up
giantsfan is offline Find More Posts by giantsfan
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
If you are still crashing a SuperCub, don't even think about a 4-channel micro. I own both, and the Corsair is a bit more challenging. Unlike the SuperCub, a low wing plane will not self-correct when you let go of the sticks. It can be a little squirrelly until you settle any balance issues. It can be a lot of fun, but you have to be able to think ahead of the plane and anticipate its behavior. If you can't do that yet with a Cub, the Corsair and Trojan are better left for another day. If you really want a ridiculously easy to fly micro, consider a Champ. I have one of those, too. I highly recommend it.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,138 Posts
I have the T-28 and a friend has the Corsair. The T-28 was a much better flying plane, at least compared to this Corsair. I have the large PZ Corsair and it flies very nice though.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,995 Posts
S Cub is heavy? Oh my, you really need to work on your flying with a Champ! It flies just like the Cub does only it is small and light. Don't try to fly it unless the wind is calm. Later move back to the Cub.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:03 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
There are videos of both here on my blog
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=393059

Personally I like the t28 better
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
878 Posts
The Corsair is a great looking plane in the air, but that's it's only advantage over the t-28. The champ is a great plane, I have 18 planes and I still love flying the champ. It never gets old.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
I've got all the UMs except the soon to arrive Spit and the T-28 is by far the more manageable of them. They will all benefit from using a DX6i or greater, but it's sort of necessary with the P-51 and F4U.

The Corsair is a bit tail heavy and needs some adjustment out of the box and can be a handful until you're used to it, then it's just a blast. It also gets lost against a tree line or when it gets dark, making the T-28 is easier to see as well as fly.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:29 AM
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions!
demiluk is offline Find More Posts by demiluk
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:25 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
I've flown many of the UM's from Parkzone. The T28 is the best. The P51 is silly, the Polecat a joke. Love the Spitfire, but like most of them, they're impulse buys.

Then there's the HZ Champ - nothing better.

= Champ and T28.

The rest are a waste of money unless your brain is wired in a strange way.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,777 Posts
Another vote for t28 (or champ) over the corsair. It is a handful - no comparison to it and the T28 as far as a sweet flying machine. You are right about the durability though, light doesn't tear up as much stuff. Most times you just pick it up and fly it again after a crash if you fly over grass anyway.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
I've flown many of the UM's from Parkzone. The T28 is the best. The P51 is silly, the Polecat a joke. Love the Spitfire, but like most of them, they're impulse buys.

Then there's the HZ Champ - nothing better.

= Champ and T28.

The rest are a waste of money unless your brain is wired in a strange way.
Hey man P51 is great!!!, I love it is a little fast but very good plane, I have a t28 too and is my 2nd fav plane.
Demiluk, all you need is practice a lot with RF sim and some trim and right balance in your plane.
Fly a plane is easy, landing is the hard thing.
When you can fly and land any low wing with winds over 10mph on simulator you are ready for any 4 channel um, and the T28 is a very good alternative.

Regards!
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,228 Posts
The umt-28 is a great second plane. If you do not have instructor to help you need to learn the basics first. Either get a champ or lots of SIM time before trying the umt-28 or corsair.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Mar 2012
687 Posts
Here's my two cents worth. I tried starting with the Champ, and had LOTS of trouble with it,
including having the prop come off and the shaft bend if you looked at it wrong. Passed it on to my brother, and even though he was more agile, he had the same problems. I bought
the UM P-51 and Mosquito, and had no problems with them per se. Tried to move up to a bigger P-51, but no joy. On impulse I bought the Harbor Freight Cub, and had no difficulty
with it other than the fact I had turning it with just the rudder(I prerfer to use the alierons).
So I saved up, and bought a Flyzone Sensei and the RealFlight Sim. After quite a bit of practice on the sim (using the Hobbico EP) Took the Sensei out and had no problems.
I just love the heavy duty tricycle landing gear, and it's a more forgiving plane. The only drawback I've had is the long time it takes to charge the battery. But I warn you, the thing is HUGE compared to my UMs. But it sees more flight time because of it's ease of handleing,
and it's usually too windy where I live/fly to fly the UMs. So if you can only fly UMs, I'd go with
the T-28 for the landing gear alone. As for the Corsair, my brother wanted one for Christmas,
so I got him the RTF kit, and it's given him nothing but trouble.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot