HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,273 Posts
Discussion
End point adjustment for throttle

I recently got a hitec aurora 9 and you can adjust all EPAs to 140% up and down including the throttle. Now on the servos i go until it binds then back off a bit, but i'm not sure what it would do for the throttle channel. Is it going to push the motor and esc more or just give more resolution to the throttle channel or nothing at all? Thanks for your help!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I think on the motor, 100% is all you can get. The ESC controls that.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,248 Posts
It won't produce any more from the motor than the motor can produce. Having said that, if the ESC isn't receiving the signal that it has decided is 100% then there is room to imake adjustmenst like this. However, if this is the case then you have the ESC setup wrong - most likely not calibrated it properly.

When the servos are installed, they don't normally use the full amount of travel simply to avoid problems with binding or internal damage. As you noted, you can increase the amount of travel on the transmitter and the servo will proportionally increase the amount it travels even to the point of damage.

When you calibrate an ESC you are basically telling the ESC "here is the highest point of my throttle range and it should result in 100% output. Here is the lowest point of my throttle range and it should result in no output." So if the ESC is calibrated when the throttle endpoint is 100% then changing it to later will have no effect. Sure, the signal to the receiver will be 140% when the stick is all the way up but the ESC was already at 100% output a little past midstick and for the ESC and motor because when it was calibrated, 100% throttle = 100% output.

Now, suppose you set the endpoint to 140% first. Then calibrate your ESC.

My Dx6i has 1024 steps (your Aurora may be different but for discussion's sake I'll use 1024 anyway).
100% / 1024 => 1 step is .098% of the travel

140% / 1024 => 1 step is 0.137% of the travel

For example, step 510 is about 49.98% of the normal throttle range and also about half of the number of steps. Using the 140% endpoint though, step 511 is about 70.003% which is even closer to half of the set range. So more resolution in terms of what % of the range a certain step represents.

But even with the transmitter using more and more % points, if the ESC was calibrated properly it will interpret 140% throttle as 100% if that's what you told the ESC was the "highest point of the throttle range". It will likely interpret 70% (midstick) as 50%, 20% as 14%, etc.

It doesn't seem very useful for values over 100% but can definitely be used to limit throttle to less than 100%. Say for people just starting out who ignore the left stick and fly WOT or no throttle at all.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:52 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,460 Posts
My Personal opinion :

1) I never drive any servo past 100% on EPA unless absolutely necessary. I prefer to use the holes in the arms.
2) I also try to avoid adding up mixed functions where you can have EPA of one function adding to another vreating greater than 100% ...
3) I use EPA on throttle of my Parkjet to REDUCE throttle amount so I save my ESC from buring out. (I was lacking higher rated ESC and was forced to use a lower rated ESC while waiting higher amp model ... ). I would never think to increase EPA past 100% on an ESC ... When you set throttle by up . down of stick on start up program - you surely negate any excess stick above 100% ?
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:21 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,907 Posts
On the bottom end, you may have to go below 100% to get the ESC to arm. I also don't like the motor to start when you breath on the stick, so I set the low endpoint to start the motor when the stick is about 1/4 in. off the bottom of the travel. This is just personal preference for safety purposes

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2