HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Wingnut13, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:08 AM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Build Log
Fun Cub FPV mods

Hey guys,

I love my Fun Cub. I really would like to take advantage of the planes capabilities with FPV. I needed a good location to place the Go Pro without the view of the prop. So your not left with a lot of options, you can put the camera way out on the wing...... but that doesn't work. The camera has to be so far out to keep the prop out of view it just messes everything up.

So this is my solution. First I want to be able to put the FC back to a standard configuration. With that in mind I mounted the twin engines on the wing using pylons, only one bolt holds them on.

The second step will be removing the nose and adding a firewall of plywood. This should take care of two problems. I can mount the motor to the firewall and it will take care of the vibration issues. Finally, I can remove the cowl/engine and install my Go Pro to use the FC for FPV.

So if everything doesn't work out the way I want I will just return it back to "stock" and be done with it.

~Wingnut13
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Last edited by Wingnut13; Mar 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
looks underpowered to me

Love the twins!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:58 PM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Fail

So as it turns out the two little emax 2822's didn't quite have enough juice. I also had an issue with one motor spooling up quicker, but not every time. I seemed to have an ESC issue as well. Anyways the Cub flew, at about 3/4 throttle. When I was coming into land and I added some throttle <15' alt. (had full flaps) one motor delayed a split second and it sent me into an unrecoverable spin to the ground. It was the worst crash I have had with the fun cub, but alas no damage other than bent gear and a aileron control horn popped off.

Experiment cancelled. . . . . I'll fly my funcub the way it was meant to I guess!
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13