HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
Trader Rating: 16
Discussion
seems fishy !! what do you think ???

this is what i woke up to in my email

........If you don't mind, I will want you to open an account with paypal it will be safe and easy for both of us,i am an oceanographer and am currently at sea at the moment, i am buying the item for my Son, i can only pay through paypal as i don't have access to my bank account online and i dont have internet banking,but i have my bank acc attached to my paypal account and this is why i insisted on paying you through paypal, you can put the paypal charges on me. So pls kindly get paypal account setup it is very easy and get back to me with your paypal details so that i can make payment to you ASAP, you can put the paypal charges on me, I will contact the pick up agent now, to know how much it will cost me for the pick up.....Looking forward to hear back from you.
53"SuperGator is offline Find More Posts by 53"SuperGator
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:59 AM
"Up Chuck-Up Chuck"
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
Joined Aug 2004
1,204 Posts
Trader Rating: 65
Delete it and press on with your daily activities..
mdlifcrisis is offline Find More Posts by mdlifcrisis
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
To build or fly today?
United States, AL, Gulf Shores
Joined Feb 2008
605 Posts
Trader Rating: 53
If you don't know who its from or in response to..... trash it
Doubledog is offline Find More Posts by Doubledog
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:06 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,444 Posts
Trader Rating: 159
Parts sound legit, parts don't. If he has access to being online, most every bank allows you to access your accounts via their server. Chances are that if he can do paypal, he has access to his bank. He might not be able to do anything with those funds, it's not like he can request his bank to mail you a teller check. Paypal is indeed a great service to send and receive payment, especially if you are traveling.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:09 AM
some call me macgyver....
United States, OK, Shawnee
Joined Feb 2012
730 Posts
Trader Rating: 147
Do u have a paypal now. Sounds to me that's the only way he has to pay u. If it is a scam he is not asking u to gift payment just to charge him the extra that paypal charges. Which is to cover ur butt. N his. He might b a stand up guy. Just do some research on him.
bethelflier8036 is offline Find More Posts by bethelflier8036
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my son is cancer free
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Parts sound legit, parts don't. If he has access to being online, most every bank allows you to access your accounts via their server. Chances are that if he can do paypal, he has access to his bank. He might not be able to do anything with those funds, it's not like he can request his bank to mail you a teller check. Paypal is indeed a great service to send and receive payment, especially if you are traveling.
this guy sent me other e-mails as well but he just joined RCU ,,not RCG..and i got an email from RCU..telling me he suspended ..and then i sent him that email back ..and he say's he's trying to find out why ? i got off the phone w/pp and he said ..he's seen scams involving (oceanogaphers & shipping agents)..
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelflier8036 View Post
Do u have a paypal now. Sounds to me that's the only way he has to pay u. If it is a scam he is not asking u to gift payment just to charge him the extra that paypal charges. Which is to cover ur butt. N his. He might b a stand up guy. Just do some research on him.
i've had pp for 5yrs..he wants to purchase from me...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:17 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,563 Posts
Trader Rating: 120
Forward the message to: spoof@paypal.com
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:22 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,671 Posts
Trader Rating: 177
TRASH it......Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Forward the message to: spoof@paypal.com
right on ......sucks just got laid off gotta sell my rc stuff don't need to be ripped off on top of that ...lol...thanks for the advice RCG members !!!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:39 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
Warning warning Will Robinson!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,204 Posts
Trader Rating: 51
Any time this phrase comes up... "I will contact the pick up agent now," - red flags explode all over the sky. I will never do business with a "pick up agent" or a "shipping agent". Nor will I ever have an unknown person come to my house get a free look at all the stuff in my yard/garage/home. Simple to meet me at the post office, gas station, police station etc. my home is my castle and you don't want to meet the dragon that guards it
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Any time this phrase comes up... "I will contact the pick up agent now," - red flags explode all over the sky. I will never do business with a "pick up agent" or a "shipping agent". Nor will I ever have an unknown person come to my house get a free look at all the stuff in my yard/garage/home. Simple to meet me at the post office, gas station, police station etc. my home is my castle and you don't want to meet the dragon that guards it
yes sir thats good advice.... i told him to kick rocks anyway !!!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:46 AM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
276 Posts
Trader Rating: 8
This isn't a comment specific to the above situation, but is is related:

NEVER accept payment through PayPal for a local pick up item. PayPal requires ONLINE verifiable evidence of delivery, such as a tracking number or Delivery Confirmation.

If an item is picked up, I don't know of anything that PayPal will accept as proof of the buyer actually picking up the item.

Whether it be an outright thief or just someone with buyer's remorse, the buyer of a local pick up item can later claim that he never received the item and PayPal will refund him.

For the same reason, accepting a PayPal deposit for a local pick up item is (at best) a worthless exercise too. If the buyer backs out he can just request a refund from PayPal. This isn't a knock on PayPal, and I can certainly understand why their policies are what they are in this regard.

Insist on CASH at the time of pick up.
silvaire is offline Find More Posts by silvaire
Last edited by silvaire; Mar 30, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:20 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,031 Posts
Trader Rating: 387
Yup, In God we Trust, all others CASH.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member