HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
Discussion
Reusing glider wings to make flying wing

I have recently acquired a Soarcraft Centurion glider on the cheap. The fuse is in bad shape (one of the wing mounts is broken off). I am not sure what I want to do with it yet but I think I'd like to reuse the wing ( 8ft wide 2pc about 4deg dihedral) to make another glider. I recently got into flying wings and am wondering if it would be possible to use this in that manner.

While it won't be a true flying wing, it may have a small fuse big enough to mount a tail and electronics. Also probably adding elevons.

Does this sound doeable or would this wingset be a better fit for a more standard fuse with long tail? And if so should I just builg the fuse or can you get one already made?

I've never scratch built yet just ARF's and Kits so this is a tad over my head. But I want a challenge. If it doesn't work out I'm not out much anyway.

J
Goldentaco is offline Find More Posts by Goldentaco
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,729 Posts
Don't forget to reflex the elevon's, about 1/8" might do it. I have seen this done on a Cub trainer wing Which became a Backstrom Plank sorta scale and a Dynaflite Talon which flew rewall well.
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
551 Posts
Go For IT
Last summer I bought an old, tired Chris Foss Phase 6. I refurbished it but decided only to use the semi symmetrical wings. I chose to make a 66" wing with the symmetrical Pro wing (OCD). As it was symetrical I found that no reflex was required!
Anyway, to cut a long story short I crashed it pretty bad and now what's left of the wings have bee used to build a 44" aerobatic soarer (Rebound)
There's a video of OCD's final flight on my RC Groups Blog
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inside EVO
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
Great it sounds like either way I go it may work.

The wings have polyhedral tips about a foot long like many gliders. I'm suspecting this may not work on the flying wing if I add any sweep to it. Would there be any need for sweep to make it sort of like a Nurfluegel?

If I go the flying wing route I may try for a design similar to this

I've recently discovered "socking" fuses so I may be able to make a traditional fuse with tail boom etc. I'm not sure which would be more hit or miss from a first time design standpoint.

J
Goldentaco is offline Find More Posts by Goldentaco
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
Can you show us some photos? It's my guess that the easiest path is probably just to fix it back to the way it was. Second easiest might be to make a simple balsa fuselage the same length.

A flying wing will be pretty tricky. You can make them swept or not. The swept ones need more twist, the unswept probably need more reflex. In either case, I'd guess t he existing airfoil really isn't quite right for this.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member