HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 03:27 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Got my FMS ASW-28 last night and put it together. All-in-All it is a really nice quality kit. The only part I thought was lacking was the aileron servo arms. They are the adjustable kind with a z bend on one end, however, it was like they had been glued in place and were impossible to adjust. I had some EZ-connectors and extra pushrods in the drawer so I used those instead - worked great.

Great thermal building day here which was perfect for the maiden flight, so I headed out to the field. I'm using a 3s 2200 battery which required a bit of weight in the tail to balance on the recommended CG point.

An easy toss at half power and it was on it's way. A quick trim-out at low altitude so I could see the results, then a quick climb to altitude. Next thing I know I'm climbing, power off, in a great thermal and long story short, 40 mins later my maiden flight ends in a perfect landing.

This is one great flying sailplane - my biggest recommendation to anyone getting one is to take a lawn chair with cuz it's not coming down for a while.

Ron
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Nice! I haven't caught that many good thermals but even with my 1300 battery and a lot of throttle to keep her at altitude I can average 20-30 minutes easily.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 10:09 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Had another great day of thermaling the ASK 28 today 3 flights over 40 mins each.

That said, I have a problem........ How are you guys getting this thing down?

I caught a strong thermal shortly after the first climb and was soon up so high I could hardly make out the orientation. Needing to get down I tried a fairly rapid descent which started the wing to flutter. No damage but for a min I thought I was going to lose it.

Anyway, spoilers would be very helpful with this sailplane, however, since that's not possible has anyone tried running the ailerons on separate channels in order to program reflex into them in an effort to dump some of the lift and help get this thing down?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ron
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old May 22, 2012, 10:34 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
I guess I would say that there's some of us that wouldn't mind to have your problem!

The thermals where I live are not strong enough to get mine specked out. If I'm lucky I might get some lift here and there where I don't need the throttle for 5 minutes or so. Usually I'm on the throttle every few minutes to sustain 200-300 feet of altitude.

If your thermals are that strong it may be a good idea to run some mixing like you mention...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,761 Posts
Hi, ronht.

I don't have the FMS ASW28 but I do have the ST one and I use "spoilerons" with good results. That being said; I prefer using a spin or a spiral, with or without spoilerons, to get down quick.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old May 23, 2012, 01:41 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
There are several ways to lose altitude...

#1 Run the motor just fast enough to extend the prop blades = lots of drag!

Cross control aileron to rudder - lots of drag!

Fly 90 degrees to prevailing wind to get out of the thermal soonest possible

Spoilerons are good - flapperons are bad

If you must dive, dive with the wind rather than against it - and use #1 above while doing so..

Fly inverted, most thermal ships do not work well upside down.

Be careful of over-speeding the airframe - as that can lead to surface failure or binding.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old May 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
USA, CT, Newington
Joined Sep 2002
262 Posts
Well I got my ASW-28 assembled in 2 nights of leisure building and it looks beautiful. Not bad for a 150.00 scalie considering I have European sailplanes that are 10X that price. Aros I am thinking of painting the blue portion red as it looks more scale that way but that black spinner and prop really gets to me. Where did you get your white spinner and props?

Thanks, Jim
Christen Eagle 1 is offline Find More Posts by Christen Eagle 1
Old May 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Good call. The red trim does look much more scale. As for the white spinner and props I simply spray painted them using Testor's Flat White. Even, light coats until it's covered. If it hampered the prop's performance in any way I definitely can't tell and it looks SO much better.

I've put in a word to FMS to consider a white spinner and prop set in the future.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Nice...

This one is so nice looking I had to order one today. 135.00 on sale at Banana Hobbies. Been wanting to get back into some sailplanes.

I have a Multiplex Easy glider and a Gravity Skysoar and their micro DX-220 (no longer available). Both great flyers and love the scale looks. This one looks just great.
Thanks very much Aros for the thread, info and great pictures.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Last edited by STRINGFLY; May 23, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Glad you like! I like that sailplane there!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Yea,.. The micro is a great flyer and the bigger Skysoar is a good flyer also. The micro is a real hoot. Thread here, but alas no longer available.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358916

Can't wait for the ASW28 though.

Stringfly <>++++++
Old May 25, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Fms asw-28

Anyone else get one of these ? Thoughts ? Mine is coming next week.

Stringfly <>++++
Old May 25, 2012, 06:06 PM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY View Post
Anyone else get one of these ? Thoughts ? Mine is coming next week.

Stringfly <>++++
I want one.......but the cheapest I can get them over in Europe is 169 Euro's. ($211.00) I think that is a bit over the top if they sell it for 109 dollars at Banana hobby.

It is a very beautiful plane though, but for less I can buy a new Cularis over here....
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old May 25, 2012, 06:18 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Captured a flight today using a flying buddy's HK mini HD cam with 120 degree lens...Much cooler for sailplane flights! I'll post the video in a few...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Here's the video...Check the 1080p HD option (the little gear icon at the bottom)...

FMS ASW-28 with wide angle HD lens (3 min 41 sec)
RCG Plus Member