HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:05 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi again, sinowace.

Someone posted the numbers a few pages back but I don't recall them. The wing loading and aspect ratio are not a big problem within the limitations of any scale plane. Any glider with a relatively high aspect ratio requires a slightly different approach to get the best performance. What I do is keep it trimmed a little bit nose down and just keep a bit more speed than a real floater. Then I just pull a little back stick when I'm actually in lift. Actually, I do this with most any glider but it's a bit more pronounced with one that likes to fly a little faster. It takes a little trial and error but I think you will be surprised that the sink rate, with any combination of airfoil and configuration, actually goes down with the nose lower.

If you have a radio capable of mixing in spoilerons (i.e. both ailerons up.) will also serve to steepen landing approaches without getting too fast and, since spoilerons are equivalent to washout, they also reduce the tendency to tip stall during the critical landing approach. This can be practiced with any glider.

Cheers!
Peter I just noticed your comment about programming spoilerons. I am brand new to gliders and have a DX8 radio. Would you mind sharing your setup for this? I have the FMS ASK23. Thanks, Alan
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:43 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
I just ordered one from Banana. Seem to be a steal at $115 ARF and free shipping.
You have me to thank for that.
After stalling 3 freakin' months waitin' for Bananaboy to break & the free ships to come back [[after earlier cutting off a month-long 'Special' on the 23rd of the month, just the day before I tried to order!! *grrrrr* ]] and the increased rates for '13 being just around the corner, I broke & went ahead & paid for shipping. It was either that or +20% on cost-of-plane, so........
Anyhoo, now that I've paid, of course the Freebie returns -- that's just the natural harmony of the Universe, humming right along.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
Hi, Alan.

I'm afraid that I'm using a Turnigy 9x and I've never owned a DX8 so I can't really help you there. I'm sure someone else will chime in. However, I can give you some general pointers.

First of all, one needs to plug the two aileron servos into separate channels rather than using a Y-connector. Then you select a flap/aileron mix. Most radios call it "flaperon" even if one is going to program the ailerons to go up to act as spoilers. Then it's just trial and error to get as much throw as possible while retaining a bit, 1-2mm, of additional up travel when using ailerons. When I hit the spoilerons on my Specter the nose pitches up but the nose goes down on my ASW 28 so you will want to try it out at altitude to get the hang of it.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Honestly Siv, thats one of the main reasons i got this plane. That price is hard to beat, especially since all you need to add is a battery and Reciever. Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to fly her tomorow, 20mph winds with gusts up to 30 doesn't sound very good for a maiden.....
rctmpilot is offline Find More Posts by rctmpilot
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
It is, indeed, a very attractive price, rctmpilot. If I destroy my current ASW 28 I'll probably get one myself but I think my next scale glider will be of glass/wood construction and a different model. I just want a more rigid airframe for better aerobatic performance even if I sacrifice a little soaring ability due to greater weight. Scale aerobatics with a scale plane are a great alternative when the lift conditions are not ideal.

I woke up to 40degree temperature here in Minnesota but the wind was variable with gusts up to 30mph. I can deal with wind but it's no fun if one finds a 30mph crosswind on the landing approach! Plus, that strong wind blowing across the snow made it pretty damned cold!! I'll take 20 degrees with a light and predictable wind any day!!!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:38 AM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
582 Posts
Going for my first flight on my 28 this morning. I mixed aileron diff and aileron to rudder mix. For the "skewed" T-tail I took some time to twist the tail boom repeatedly to see if I could reset the tail a bit which helped. I also placed a 3mm piece of depron under the low edge of the ELEVATOR seat, that gave me a nice straight horz. stabilizer. The depron is a great choice since it compresses a bit when you tighten down the Stabalizer, the more you tighten, the less offset you get - adjustable to a point.

Should be a nice morning to fly to fly the 28 here in sunny Arizona. The temps have finally come back up, we had a week+ of super colds temps.

Chris
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:19 AM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk View Post
Hi Bonnie9496,
My fuse seems pretty stiff.
I had my first test flights today. I used a 1300 3S pack 40C and gave three climb outs per pack. the batteries were at 3.96V after the flights. THe climb out was vertical on full throttle getting to 500-600 ft and then easliy hooking up to thermals. THe ASW flies significantly faster than my modified Radian but is easy to control. I added about a 0.5 in of reflex in spoileron and a few clicks of down elevator in Crow mode on my Optic 6 TX. I did not notice any flexing when I put it into a dive test - which pulled out quickly so I am nose heavy with the CG at 45 mm back from the LE. Landings slowed down nicely and controllably with the spoileron. I will be painting the bottom of the wings black for visibility and replacing the blue trim with red. Overall tHe ASW28 flies great and I think that I'll be flying it a lot
Ray

What are you using for a CG now?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:23 AM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
582 Posts
My maiden went well overall, but I did get bit once with a tip stall. I came out of a thermal, was in a real sink and low to the ground and I slowed too much and it dropped a wing - boink!

Thankfully it was not too bad, but I did have to get the hot glue gun out and put the nose/motor mount back together. The very fragile front end took all the impact and it busted apart. Only the area forward of the canopy was damaged. All back together this am with minimal scars.

I enjoyed flying the 28, went well, was easy to catch lift, and a beast to land with it's glide. Time for flaps and/or spoilerons.

Curious as to what others have dialed in for CG
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:43 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Had a great flight today. Nearly couldn't get her down in 15mph winds. Had a slightly unexpected landing but no damage. I am having a motor issue but i have a replacement on the way from hobbyking. Looks like a direct fit but we will see. I dropped a bit of glue in the motor while repairing a different unexpected landing and it's causing it to stick a bit til it gets hot. Imagine that.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:58 PM
Red Bluff CA
Joined Sep 2001
231 Posts
Maidened mine today. Looks great just cruising around a little too windy for thermal. I can see a 2200mah battery might be better choice. I also reflexed my ailerons just by trimming that way, I will back those out now.
Randy
RTaylor is offline Find More Posts by RTaylor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:44 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
I really want to buy a new glider for 2013 and I'm looking at this one. I was on Bananahobby last night and the price looked good. But the fuselage is all foam and I'm use to my Phoenix Evolution fuselage. I still might get this glider. It looks nice.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
582 Posts
The fuse is foam, but with the embeded tube that runs from the cockpit to the tail, it is very stiff - surprisingly so. The nose/motor mount area is fragile IF you fall out of the sky and land on it! but if you don't, no worries. For the money it's a nice deal.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
When you turn this glider, can you bank and yank or must you use rudder? I only bank and yank. Also, do any of you use dual rates/expo on this electric glider?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:29 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
582 Posts
you can bank and yank but not when you are low and slow - under speed and power yes. it bites when your really slow and try to horse it around - those super thin, straight and tapered wings will stall.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,401 Posts
It sounds like it's time to start exercising your left thumb, HoosierGuy. Don't be afraid of the rudder. It opens up a whole new flight envelope. Just get a little altitude and start trying to make turns using the rudder too. You will find that any glider with ailerons soars best when you can make coordinated turns.

The only drawback, in my case, is that I get so used to using the rudder that I have to break the habit when I fly my 3D ship and want to bank and yank. The first few turns after I've been flying the gliders for a time can get really interesting!