HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
Extracting the motor is easy. There are set screws on the side of the base of the motor.. holes on the outside of the fuselage lead to the set screws.. . loosed those and the motor wiggles out. I took my motor/esc/spinner and firewall out to fly as pure glider. Not sure on replacement motors. HK has this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_900kv.html and banana has this, http://www.bananahobby.com/fms-m-10-80575-prd1.html The ASW sure does like to tip stall... anyone out there have some solutions? SHoe
woodenshoe is online now Find More Posts by woodenshoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
Hi all. Has anyone modded with spoilers? I'm looking at several different ways to do it. Just not sure which direction I should go. Comments would be helpful.
Thanks,
Bob
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:57 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,046 Posts
You talking spoilers as opposed to air brakes? The seeming de rigueur method for reduced landing space is spoilerons (over flaperons). That's how I'm going anyway, as easiest to achieve, & less overall potential for harm to the plane.

Seems pretty much the concensus too - as I learned from a thread I started recently. You might want to have a quick read thru (it didn't run long....nor have to *LOL*)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...on+or+flaperon
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:19 PM
I wanna fly like this
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
That was a lot of reading. I just went with spoilerons. Thinking about cutting in some flaps so I can "crow". Thanks for the lead to more info.
Bob
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Hi, woodenshoe.

I'm afraid that most any scale sailplane with a high aspect ratio will drop a wing in the stall. There are, however, a couple things one can do. The first and best is to just ensure that your plane is balanced both longitudinally and laterally and you keep your speed a bit higher than with a "pure model". Using differential on your ailerons, with more up travel than down, can really help and setting up your ailerons as spoilerons will help a whole lot for landing approaches. Spoilerons, essentially, add a whole lot of washout. At least that should limit the tip stalls at low altitude during approaches.

If one is still having problems one can try to add some washout (i.e. trailing edge a bit higher at the tip). On my ST ASW 28 I originally did this by using clear packing tape across the top of the wing diagonally from the trailing edge at the tip to the leading edge at mid span. Finally, I replaced the stock ailerons with balsa trailing edge stock and was able to sand and twist them to provide a little washout. Mostly though, I've just gotten used to its handling and it's not a big problem. It will still drop a tip abruptly if I screw up but it's so light that it recovers without losing too much altitude and I just make sure to keep my speed up at low altitude.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
166 Posts
Hi All -
I dressed-up the front wheel with scale-ish landing gear doors. Epoxied two pieces of thin plywood and added white paint for the doors and flat black for the landing gear bay. And ya-know what... I don't have to remember to drop the gear when in final approach.
Here's a picture from the side and another to show the landing gear bay.
Take Care
TomTerrific is offline Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,302 Posts
Looks Great Tom! Is that the stock pilot in yours?
I had another 3 flights on mine today in some wind and it did fine. THe spoilerons work well too on landing.
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Jul 2012
166 Posts
Thanks Ray. The doors are copied and inspired from the great looking ASW-28 & DG-1000 of Thompson@StudioRS.
I replaced the stock pilot with a scale glider pilot from Hobby King.
Ya- I added an am enjoying l the spoilers too. I have them going up 80% now and it really helps simplify and makes the landings non events.

@Bob- I like your idea of adding flaps. I wonder if they would slow it down abit? Keep us posted if you make them...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:05 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,357 Posts
That looks great! I have a set of really kewl ASW-28 stickers in red that will dress the side up factory style if you want. Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:07 PM
I wanna fly like this
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
T.T. I plan on doing the flap thing, but want to put more air time on the stock frame. I'll let you know when the fun begins.

Bob
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:04 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,046 Posts
Kewl job on the gear doors guy! Not completely sure, but you didn't make the gear retractable did you? (from the 'cute' comment) Wondering if the doors will tend to catch grass or snag....but I see your 'pose' is on hardtop.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
166 Posts
Hi StarHopper
I didn't make the gear retractable. Sorry for the confusion.
I fly off grass- so i may need to touch-up the paint on the doors occasionally. So far, no issues on this plane or my ST DG-1000 that has the same treatment. I have 2 centimeters of wheel extending past the edge of the doors.
Take Care
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
That looks great! I have a set of really kewl ASW-28 stickers in red that will dress the side up factory style if you want. Cheers, Thompson
Hi Thompson- those are great looking stickers. And, I like the 'Featured Video' on your homepage too. http://kewlartdesigns.com/

Re. the video- What an exotic ridge/slope soaring location. I gotta try that someday.
Take Care
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:34 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Just picked one up this week. $115 with free shipping from BH. I was in the market for a Radian Pro but this looks like a much better model at a much better price. Definately painting the prop and spinner white and putting some stripes on the underside of the wings. Flaps down the road.
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:03 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
Hi Thompson- those are great looking stickers. And, I like the 'Featured Video' on your homepage too. http://kewlartdesigns.com/

Re. the video- What an exotic ridge/slope soaring location. I gotta try that someday.
Take Care
Yes, very nice location, would LOVE to fly there myself.

Spitzbühl on Seiser Alm, situated in South Tyrol. Here is another video from my favorites.

ASH 31 Seiser Alm 2011 (5 min 23 sec)
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS