HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:35 AM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
@Cub-The vert stab is leaning to the left about 3* making the horiz stab out of whack.
@SH-I too am dissatisfied with China transactions. That's why I went with BH.
@TT-Gonna toss it and see/hope for the best.
It will probably fly just fine. I just don't care for the way it looks. I'll probably shim the horiz stab to get it level with the wings. Then maybe the vert won't look so bad. I though about cutting down to the carbon tube in the fuse and resetting but I think I'll try therapy before major surgery. Thank again. I'll post after I maiden in the next day or so.
Happy Flying,
Bob
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:01 PM
Pasadena, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
103 Posts
I have a central europe version of this plane...ok but cockpit canopy comes off

Hi Everyone,

I have this version:

http://www.peckamodel.cz/produkt/rc-...2300mm-epp-arf

The plane is identical to the FMS version but I'm suprised no one was upset on how the canopy fits. On my second flight the cockpit / canopy came off. this cause the battery (2200mah) and wires to move back, causing a bad crash.

Anyone have any elegant ways to secure the canopy / cockpit so that it does not pop off?

The plane flew great except that the rudder needs more authority.
miniellipse is offline Find More Posts by miniellipse
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:40 AM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
156 Posts
Here's a photo with the blue stickers replaced with red paint & the prop&spinner painted white(ala Aros) and the stock pilot replaced with a HK scale glider pilot. Also added red to the nose, rudder and underside of wingtips for visibility.
I like the scale looks!
TomTerrific is offline Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:51 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,703 Posts
@Thompson (& 4all);
Re that upholstery pattern you did on your 28's pilot seat, where you printed it out....remem my saying I thought I'd do that in a leopardskin print? I am, but different method.

While in a nearby city I stopped in Michael's Crafts store to pick up some artist supplies & found something I haven't seen before. I suppose everybody knows of the Duck brand of tapes, & likely have seen (Wal-Mart etc) the several print designs they came out with recently. Well, in the Michaels they also had (right beside the tape display) a rack of individual sheets of the print designs. Including a Spotted Leopard design which I got....as well as the Zebra pattern, & a couple others for other uses. These have adhesive backs with peel-off cover, so you can cut out what you need & save the rest of the sheet. About a buck a sheet IIRC. Rather'n post pix, here's a link to the Duck webpage showing the variety:
http://www.duckbrand.com/Products/du...spx?IDH=280096

I'm still kinda torn between the Leopard & Zebra....and leaning to the Zebra for the contrasty pattern, more resembling the plane's overall black/white livery.

And right beside that I found a rack of mylar-like (if not mylar itself) various 'hologram' patterned sheets (not Duck brand) I'll be using for wing leading edges to hopefully add some sparkle for visibility. These aren't sticky-backed but a bit of 3M #77 spray should take care of that lacking. About the same price per sheet; should be considerably less than the price & shipping & hassle of getting regular hologram tape.

Also Thompson - wanted to ask how heavy that ultra-detailed pilot figure was you installed? I'm working up a HK order & they've finally got one back in stock....kinda wondering its potential for shifting CoG.
Thanx dude!
~Hopper
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:17 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
@Thompson (& 4all);
Also Thompson - wanted to ask how heavy that ultra-detailed pilot figure was you installed? I'm working up a HK order & they've finally got one back in stock....kinda wondering its potential for shifting CoG.
Thanx dude!
~Hopper
@StarHopper - go for the big cat print!

HK ultra scale pilots are super light, basically hollow underneath, you won't even notice he's flying it.
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:18 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
Here's a photo with the blue stickers replaced with red paint & the prop&spinner painted white(ala Aros) and the stock pilot replaced with a HK scale glider pilot. Also added red to the nose, rudder and underside of wingtips for visibility.
I like the scale looks!
WOW, that looks schweet! Great job on the details. Cheers, Thompson
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:35 PM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
Maiden flight today. A little squirrelly but flew pretty good. Can't notice the leaning vert at altitude. Need to find the sweet spot for the C/G. Taking it out again this Sunday. Hope to get some video of it.

Bob
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:14 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,703 Posts
1st, @HighLife - Congrats on the successful maiden. Looking forward to seeing your video(s). Also glad to hear the 'leaner' didn't cause any grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
@StarHopper - go for the big cat print!
HK ultra scale pilots are super light, basically hollow underneath, you won't even notice he's flying it.
I'll do that - based on your demonstrated excellent taste! Prolly look a li'l better too, style-wise, having a touch of contrasting color-point. And thanks for the word on the pilot guy.

While I'm here....I thought there'd been some input (in fact, thought I'd asked....but my memory is just a feeble memory these days!)....so I ran a quick search on the terms >rate mix dual expo spoileron flaperon : Any Word< and got ZERO results. SO --- here we go:
First let me say I've determined I'll rig for spoilerons -- any arguments with that strategy, ie pros/cons or thoughts on flaperons being better on this plane?
Annnnd....would luv to learn any suggested mixes, rates, & application of expo, differential....all them stuffs (), you guys have tried & or use on your '28.

I'm to the point I'm gettin' all quiver-y inside. *LOL* Hoping to get 'er in the air this Sunday.

[EDIT]
Awwwwwwwwww, cwap! Complete brainfart dudes! I had had to re-type the keywords in the search, & just realized I'd forgot to change the default 'All Words' to 'Any Word' on the 2d go-around.

But what da hey....let's let the question stand - it'd be great to have a synopsis of suggested settings all in one place for future referrals. Fire away!
(Pwease?)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Nov 09, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Oct 2004
103 Posts
Is it ok to use a park flyer rx like AR6115e on this bird ?

Just wondering if a spektrum AR6115e is ok to use or should I use an AR500?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,448 Posts
Hi, miniellipse. I would definitely go with a full range rx on any sailplane. You will be amazed at how high a sailplane can get in a real hurry once one hits the core of a thermal.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,448 Posts
Hi, StarHopper.

I have not flown this glider but I'm pretty sure that spoilerons are preferable to flaperons on most any glider and the higher the aspect ratio the more true that holds. Using outboard ailerons as flaps is like adding a whole bunch of "wash in". That means tip stalls and all the bad things that can go with them.

A high aspect ratio wing will see less pitch change than a wider wing so I wouldn't bother trying to mix any elevator until you have tried it and would go with as much spoileron throw as you can get without stalling the servos. Expo is a very personal preference so I would start with none. For a maiden flight I usually go with whatever the manufacturer recommends for my high rate and about 60% on low rate in case it seems squirrely.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:10 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniellipse View Post
Just wondering if a spektrum AR6115e is ok to use or should I use an AR500?
AR500 for sure.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:17 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,307 Posts
@StarHopper - Second Phil's recomendation, use spoilerons.

Mixes? You could try a mix of Aileron > Rudder about 30-40%, or just learn to use your left thumb to coordinate turns with ailerons and rudder. Sailplanes like to be "glided" around turns.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Oct 2004
103 Posts
Thanks for the replies on Rx question

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
AR500 for sure.
Thanks. Sometimes we know the truth but still want external consensus. I will use full range Rx.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,703 Posts
Woah - waitaminute! I thought the AR500 was the one that had so many problems. I've seen diehard Spektrum addicts who've said you couldn't give an AR500 to 'em.

Maybe I'm remembering it (the model #) wrong, but that's the one burned into my mind to avoid like the plague. But don't trust me - do a whole RCG *search on >AR500< & just quick-check the result synopsis. Or, Goog it.

*Let me re-direct that; bad choice. That'll get you 99% of peops asking about them or selling 'em. Instead, go to the Radio forum & search that one. (Looking straight into the horse's mouth *heh*) One in particular caught my eye - asked by a prolific user who asked one of the 'Spektrum Development Team' (I'm calling no names) directly, as to the cause of so many AR500 failures....which said Teamster hasn't, in a month since, answered. Which thru personal experience I can say he tends to not do on the, shall we say, hard-hitting 'Spektro-sticky' inquiries.

Nuff said.
Now standing by for the inevitible avalanche of deliriously happy AR500 users.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Nov 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM.