SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
OH - forgot to include so, adding on....
I mentioned above I hadn't opened the 28's box....still haven't. But there's a reason for no hurry. The forecast'd hi-pressure system from the west drug its feet & won't arrive in time to push that steenkin' hurricane Sandy further offshore -- so we're now forecast extremely windy (up to 60-70mph) & rainy weekend commencing Friday thru at least Sunday. Looks like cocoon time with beer & football! *heh*....and prolly a li'l time for leisurely plane building.

And Pete? We've got your fog this morning! Pea Soup!!
Move to Charlotte, no wind, fog or rain for weeks, been flying every day for 2 weeks, I think I died and went to RC heaven! every evening from 5-6:15 does not get any better than now, no heat no glare (sun is away from field of view), and breeze is barley noticeable.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:16 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,106 Posts
But..................it's CHARLOTTE!!!
(And besides, y'all miss all the hurricane parties!)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:11 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Well near disaster today with my ASW-28.
Spring weather here, so thermals are appearing. Was gliding in superb conditions with STRONG thermals. The ASW was performing well. The plane was at 1600+ feet so though I had to get it down a bit. Was in a moderate angle of down when the fuse flexed, canopy flew off and plane started to behave eratically. Plane came down quiclkly as I notice wing tube bent and wing on 25% angle. Tried to bring it around to land.....into the wind....turn correction......tip stall and it crashed into the lake. Air frame OK but somme of the electronics are .... #!**#.
As a point as per my previous posts I have strenghthened the fuse/tail boom with carbon rod and subsequently added more carbon. Was dissappointed that the tail boom still flexes so much. Wing tube is very soft.
Good point is that the ASW does thermal well
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,308 Posts
Hi Bonnie9496,
Any thoughts on how to strengthen the joiner rod? I'm going to put some clear tape on my canopy to help hold it down.
Thanks,
Ray
kostuk is online now Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk View Post
Hi Bonnie9496,
Any thoughts on how to strengthen the joiner rod? I'm going to put some clear tape on my canopy to help hold it down.
Thanks,
Ray
Ray,
I had my canopy taped on......Obviously not enough!

I had previously had the wing saddle piece come off in flight and the canopy. Lukily I fly in a huge open area so able to recover each time. The flex in the fuse is significant in mine.

Might need a mild steel joiner???. Got to look into it.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,308 Posts
Hi Bonnie9496,
My fuse seems pretty stiff.
I had my first test flights today. I used a 1300 3S pack 40C and gave three climb outs per pack. the batteries were at 3.96V after the flights. THe climb out was vertical on full throttle getting to 500-600 ft and then easliy hooking up to thermals. THe ASW flies significantly faster than my modified Radian but is easy to control. I added about a 0.5 in of reflex in spoileron and a few clicks of down elevator in Crow mode on my Optic 6 TX. I did not notice any flexing when I put it into a dive test - which pulled out quickly so I am nose heavy with the CG at 45 mm back from the LE. Landings slowed down nicely and controllably with the spoileron. I will be painting the bottom of the wings black for visibility and replacing the blue trim with red. Overall tHe ASW28 flies great and I think that I'll be flying it a lot
Ray
kostuk is online now Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
But..................it's CHARLOTTE!!!
(And besides, y'all miss all the hurricane parties!)
That is kingdom of Charlotte!
Would like being near outerbanks but I do enjoy proximity to mountains !
Hope all is well after hurricane passes!
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,106 Posts
Kingdom?? Then why everywhere I've ever seen, it calls itself 'The Queen City'?
(Not that there's everything wrong with that!) *LMAO*

Re Sandy - Thank you; we just caught the outskirts. Everything's soggy, li'l bit of low-spot flooding, a few roadways & such, & no real damage here other'n way too windy to fly. I needed a break anyway. We kinda just told 'er to head on up north & give our regards to Broadway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:33 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,106 Posts
Spreadin' the word -- this really stinks.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=67
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:31 AM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
168 Posts
Getting close to maidening mine.
It arrived about a week after ordering in perfect condition. Looks to be one of the nicest planes I've bought. Glad the folks at Bannana Hobby are carrying the FMS products. I delayed ordering a week when i saw a $31 shipping charge. but- i'm glad i ordered. We all benefit greatly with the multitude of offers and promotions available these days.
It's a great sign when you open the box and the manufacturer has a signed quality control check off slip inside. This looks to be a very nice product. The foam is smoother and thicker than other foamies. I've replaced the blue stickers with red paint and adding some clear packing tape to the wings leading edges and bot of fuse. Nice to see all of the control surfaces to have a carbon fiber rod installed already too.
TomTerrific is offline Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:48 AM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
Hi folks. I've read this entire thread in one sitting trying to find the answer for the fuselage twist and how to correct it. Or is it even necessary. I'm a balsa old schooler and really like to have things straight. Not too big on foam but this one kinda grabbed my attention. Should I just throw it in the air and not worry about the vertical stab leaning? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bob
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:48 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,893 Posts
Is it leaning relative to the wing? Or the fuselage?

Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:22 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLife View Post
Hi folks. I've read this entire thread in one sitting trying to find the answer for the fuselage twist and how to correct it. Or is it even necessary. I'm a balsa old schooler and really like to have things straight. Not too big on foam but this one kinda grabbed my attention. Should I just throw it in the air and not worry about the vertical stab leaning? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bob
Kneejerk question would be, how much lean?
'Straightening' foam afaik is a touchy thing, involves heat, which the foam isn't neccessarily 'friendly' with, and opposite-twist pressure. There's been reports of success (limited) in eg straightening warped wings....but for the most part it's been temporary as they seem to have 'memory'. I 'fixed' a wing on my Blaze by laying it out in the hot sun all day this summer, with a couple of 1-gallon zip-lok bags filled with warm water....but all I was trying was to flatten it. Next time I went to fly (week later) it was 'sprung' again, tho not as badly.

The problem I'd see with yours is, how to apply the neccessary opposite torque for a sustained period, while keeping the heat (& how much & for how long?) applied. Being in your hands it's hard to figure how & how much from here....perhaps you're clever enough to figure out a method & have the tools?

In your shoes, unless the twist is severe, I'd see little other option than to toss 'er up & hope there's enough trim available. You just might find that little is needed; but you'll never know 'til ya try! One other thing I've thought of is maybe contacting the factory & ask them best way to straighten these things.

One thing I've learned is to check these things ASAP after receipt....to hopefully stay within whatever Warranty terms are given, & let THEM fix it if they will. I've found that's one of the major advantages of doing business with a reputable, in-country plane distributor. Not to lecture, just sittin' here blathering. *LOL* Mark me down for being one supremely unhappy with the so-called Chinese Warranty system.

Anyway, good luck....give 'er a spin & let us know what happens. Back to the prime question - how severe the twist?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:59 AM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
168 Posts
Bob@HighLife- I maidened mine recently with the same issue and it flew fine. I have a few clicks of aileron trim. Be ready on takeoff to add a few touches of down elevator as the engine is powerfull and its a near vertical climb. Also, it's fast and needs a long approach for landing. In the next few days I'm going to try adding spoilerons to slow it down abit.
Good Luck & Enjoy!
Tom
TomTerrific is offline Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:30 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,106 Posts
@HighLife:
Oh I forgot to include: Re-read this post where twist is mentioned.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=98

(KNEW there was sump'n I was forgetting!)
RCG Plus Member