840 Posts
tom who did you ordered from? what model? the st or the BH
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,323 Posts
Hi,
When I got home the FMS ASW28 was here - a day early! I guess BH is getting better.
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:49 AM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilotx1 View Post
tom who did you ordered from? what model? the st or the BH
I ordered the FMS ASW-28 arf from BH. It's $99 on sale but the shipping to the east coast was almost $31. Looks like it'll arrive in a few days.
TomTerrific is online now Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Last edited by TomTerrific; Oct 18, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,323 Posts
Hi,
I was statting to put my FMS ASW28 together and was wondering if there is a list of mods that are recommended?
Does it make sense to use packing tape on the first half of the wing? It seems pretty stiff without but was wondering.
Should the nose area be taped or reinforced with FG cloth/epoxy?
Also I sprayed the bottom of the box that the ASW came in with Krylon Fusion spray paint and it seemed to bead up. Has anyone used Krylon Fusion on the wings or fuse of the ASW?
Thanks,
Ray
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:21 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,977 Posts
Krylon Fusion works great on EPO. It does have to be very well shaken. Great adhesion, and levels itself quite well. Drys fast too.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:58 AM
Grau Adler
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined Mar 2012
36 Posts
Cf??

Does anyone know if the black tubing in the fuselage is CF or FG.
It's a convenient place to route the rx antenna, but not if it is CF.

Thanks
Terry Grau is offline Find More Posts by Terry Grau
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
@Terry - If no one's answered by time I get back from lunch I'll pop my box (see below) & see if I can help ya. If you've any experience with the two mat'ls, I'd think you could tell just from the 'heft' going by the size & wall of the tube, and that the CF should be a bit more rigid (especially with thinner walled tubes) than 'glas. Or you could, just rig up an impromptu range check.

@ Kostuk - Mine too! Was expecting it (per UPS's online tracking) today but they dropped it yesterday morning. Been so busy haven't even opened the box yet. Maybe I'm gettin' stale -- when my first ARF Bixler arrived I had the box open before the brown truck left the driveway. *LOL* I'll def have to get 'er done today tho to check for packing damage. The outer box is pristine so, don't think any harm done by the intervening gorillas twixt here & Bananaland. But, they can be touchy on claims so, not good to let it collect any dust before reporting, know'm sayin'?

I too would join 'Kos' to beg some experienced one to take time to post up a 'Setup Quik Guide' for the FMS '28. I've been so involved with so many other planes & their threads it'd take my re-reading the whole 270-some posts to refresh my feeble ol' memory. Not talking about higher improvements like glassing the winglets type projects, but rather to cover any user-discovered traps & pitfalls the Owner's Guide doesn't cover....that kinda stuff. Pretty Please??

@StudioRS - re the glassing. I'm leaning towards trying the 'New Stuff' laminating film to stiffen / slick up the wings & maybe tail a bit. But I'll prolly wind up just gettin' it together & try it 'raw' just to have something to fly, since when I maidened my new Corvalis Sunday, about 6 minutes into the flight & just tooling around about half throttle, suddenly lost power & had to deadstick it. All was good, I was ideally located on the downwind leg so no bumps or bruises, just a short walk. Things def went south when as I drew near I noticed the spinner was pointing that direction too. Long/short - the plastic part of its motor mount had melted & the motor's lead wires were all that kept it from falling off the plane! Logged it first thing Monday with Tower Hobby - no response as yet.....hope I don't have to start talkin' ugly about 'em!

Gotta get some groceries in mah belly, before my backbone sues for non-support!
L8r, y'all!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
Hi, SH44.

It sure sounds like she's a pretty sound set up out of the box with recommended throws. One will, obviously, want to check all the joints and connections but I haven't seen any red flags reported. I'm looking forward to your reports to guide me in my never ending quest for more airplanes than I need or can afford!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
Grau Adler
Joined Mar 2012
36 Posts
SH,
So many Manufactures are making FG rod that looks like CF, that once it is installed it is hard to tell.
It's extruded and black. Definately a range check.
At this price I doubt it is CF.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,323 Posts
The wings are pretty smooth and stiff.
I'm more concerned about the alum joiner rods but I guess as long as I don't do wild aerobatics it should be OK.
Also I replaced all but the rudder control rod connectors with Dubro connectors. The ones that came with the ASW seemed rather fragile. I'd rather not loose a plane to a connector.
Whatever is used in the fuse seems pretty stiff. I'm using an FrSky 2.4G Rx so the antenna routing is not an issue.
Ray
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Grau View Post
SH,
So many Manufactures are making FG rod that looks like CF, that once it is installed it is hard to tell.
It's extruded and black. Definately a range check.
At this price I doubt it is CF.
Late getting back, & had thought someone surely would've 'told' so , still haven't opened 'er up. Since you're doing the range check I just won't bother with it....it's something you'll definitely want to routinely do anyway.

Keep in mind there's CF, then there's CF. Asia's producing it so cheaply it's prolly handier for them than laying up glass ever was anyway so, don't use economics as any gauge. My Bix has a "thick"-walled 6mm CF spar with an epoxy-filled & coated 4mm inside it -- all from Hobbit Kong. I've now broken it twice with nothing but air pressure on the wings - one a dive & the other during multiple tight loops. Moral: For CF it might as well have been made of ox dung.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:38 PM
Grau Adler
Joined Mar 2012
36 Posts
We Don't Need No Stinking wing joiners

Maidened the FMS ASW-28 yesterday and neglected to install the alu wing joiner tubes!!!!
Flew great, 5-15 second climbs, and even some light G with no problem.
I got lucky. I don't think I'll do that again.
Terry
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,323 Posts
Has anyone strengthened the joiner rods or used substitutes? The Al tubes seems pretty marginal at first look but please let me know if they work fine. Thanks!

Terry, that was pretty lucky!

Ray
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
Yeah you were lucky. Especially if you didn't realize it until afterwards, thus weren't taking it easy on it.
Red-faced to admit, I did the very same thing the post-solo 3rd flight with my ol' Bix. *LOL* Luckily I was still 'learning the ropes' so was just flying the pattern & figure 8's so didn't pull any extreme maneuvers. Flew 2 LiPos out, & was re-bagging the wings to head home & there was the CF spar lying under one of the bags! Woah!! *LOL* I also think (and did then) it's a testament to the holding power of the 3M Dual Lock I chose for holding the butt ends of the wing together!

@Kostuk;
If you'll read back up several posts you'll see where 'StudioRS' & IIRC Peter also added metal rods (I remem Studs used an aluminum tent peg; I bought a pack last week to borrow his idea) for that purpose, as well as bending them to add 5-8 degrees of dihedral with reportedly good results.

In fact that brings up something. Thompson, how long was your 'peg' after you sawed off the hook? Reason I ask - I got mine from Wally-World, & they only had 2 types. The longer ones were steel with plastic 'hook things' & very heavy....& the aluminum ones (I bought) I fear might be too short once the hook's removed. I'm thinking if so, I might try to sledgehammer the hook out straight for the extra length.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:23 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
OH - forgot to include so, adding on....
I mentioned above I hadn't opened the 28's box....still haven't. But there's a reason for no hurry. The forecast'd hi-pressure system from the west drug its feet & won't arrive in time to push that steenkin' hurricane Sandy further offshore -- so we're now forecast extremely windy (up to 60-70mph) & rainy weekend commencing Friday thru at least Sunday. Looks like cocoon time with beer & football! *heh*....and prolly a li'l time for leisurely plane building.

And Pete? We've got your fog this morning! Pea Soup!!
RCG Plus Member