HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Just about any fluorescent color will help out to a certain distance and under certain lighting conditions. Orange and yellow seem to be the best of the bunch. I have some old scraps of neon yellow Oracover and just use Rustoleum fluorescent orange. I think a "air cadets" scheme with neon orange in place of the red looks pretty good and shows up well until the glider is just a speck.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:37 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
793 Posts
Well, I've sort of maxed out my Lanyu Evolution. I can fly it in day and night now (with LEDs). I'm going to upgrade my TX first but after that I think I will order this glider. I need a new electric glider to master and crash and fiberglass and repair
and fly and crash and repair... etc.... lol.

I love the look of this glider. $100 from BananaHobby is not bad. I wonder if it will become cheaper later on in the year.

How does it glide with the motor off? That's the most important thing to me. I love climbing with the motor and cutting the motor and gliding some. Very relaxing.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:14 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Just about any fluorescent color will help out to a certain distance and under certain lighting conditions. Orange and yellow seem to be the best of the bunch. I have some old scraps of neon yellow Oracover and just use Rustoleum fluorescent orange. I think a "air cadets" scheme with neon orange in place of the red looks pretty good and shows up well until the glider is just a speck.
Re color schemes & visibility, here's something I've clung to for ages, & consider as 'The Gospel'.
http://www.tristatemodelers.org/don'...%20article.pdf

If it's moved or gone, let me know & I'll post up the info.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Oh! Those colors.

I find built up wings with transparent covering to be the easiest to see. Assuming a non transparent wing, I have found that orange and blue provide the best contrast. Fluorescent orange is the color that I can pick out at the longest distance and it provides some "flash" in the sun as far as one can see a plane at all. A deep blue, like metallic blue Monokote, is my favorite. I consider red to be somewhat overrated though that could be the vagaries of my visual acuity. I'm also a big believer in asymmetric color schemes. Whether it's a stripe around one wing or even two different colored wings I find that it really helps with orientation more than doing the top and bottom different colors. On a scale glider I make some concession to appearance and use a pattern that one might see on a full scale glider but I still go for the neon orange. Here are a couple pics of my current gliders and my long departed Decathalon. All show up well under most lighting conditions.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
Starhopper, the link still works. I believe I have read that before, but still a good reference. I've always preferred dark or solid on bottom and lighter on top. I used red on bottom and white on top for a long time, and is still my favorite for sailplanes. I had a fleet of flourescent orange and white sport and aerobatic planes for a while. Then I bought a green and grey P51. That was about the hardest plane to see, especially in anything less than bright sunlight. I have a bright yellow sailplane with blue on the bottom of the wings, and that has been good, so that is why I went with the dark blue on the ASW. That, and it kinda matched the blue trim already on the model.

Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:32 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,049 Posts
All one has to do is view several pictures of gliders at various altitudes & one thing that is almost always obvious (maybe not so if one doesn't know how it relates to the subject matter here, ie isn't looking for our objective here) is that the underside of wings will tend to be darker in the first place, as it's shielded from the 'Almighty' or primary light source, the sun. It's the least acuable surface for the most part. yet that's what we see from our viewpoint -- all the stripes & shapes & blazing glory the wing can hold doesn't do you one bit of good there if it's on top!

Moreover, one doesn't get to select conditions once we're 'in trouble', so to speak. So best we can do is prepare for optimum visibility at all times, ahead of time -- hence our 'schemes'. Still, even that has its limits. For myself, the many times I've 'lost it', recovery has been thru the application of an action -- cause it to move in an expected manner & watch for the motion, rather than any color scheming. I can't count the number of times I've lost one coming directly at me (especially bothersome on fast knife-wings which require long approaches).....solution in that circumstance has been to pull up slightly & 'pop', she reappears. Another, eg in turns, has been to hold the turn a little long until a side comes around into view, then correct the path.

But afa color, the best solution is contrast -- and nothing provides more contrast than all light vs no light, ie black vs white. It's the definition of contrast. However, ANY hue or shade is most influenced by its surroundings. Ever seen this? Between square A & B, which is darker?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:22 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
817 Posts
looking over the tread this looks like a nice glider, my Cularus is getting pretty beat up and I am looking for a replacement and I like the scale look of it too, are most running stock motor or switching out to other motor and servos?
skypan12 is offline Find More Posts by skypan12
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:44 AM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
835 Posts
RYCOMM try Holographic film tape for leading edges...reflects the sun light to provide a hint as to where your specked out glider might be and its orientation. This has help me many times in returning a ship home safely..........

me many http://www.identi-tape.com/deco-holo.html

http://www.hilaunch.com/

You can also find it on Ebay....
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:01 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
I have some of that holographic tape on a 2M composite plane I have. It does work well. I was trying to keep the ASW somewhat scale looking. I had a chance to fly it with its stripes yesterday in bright sunlight and clear skies. The stripes really made the wings stand out in the sky. I am thinking of painting the bottom of the stab for a little more visibility.

Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:58 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Received my ASW-28 in the post. Thanks for the info provided by others thus far.

Couldn't get it locally but sourced it from Jet Hobby in Singapore. http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/ezsite/index.cgi
Quick no fuss delivery. Box looked OK however on opening it was revealed that the wings were not secure in the box and the both wing end had been crushed and bent back double. However with, time, CA and carbon have got a reasonable fix.
Notice too that as reported by others the vertical stab is twisted and the horizontal stab not level with wings. Have others fixed this twist or "just flown" ?
These things aside it looks like a great model. Hopefully will maiden tomorrow.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:54 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
817 Posts
Well got mine order up hope it arrives in ok shape.
skypan12 is offline Find More Posts by skypan12
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:19 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Maiden Completed
Found a gap in my schedule and was able to complete my first flights today.
Winds were 10-15mph. Used a 1300mAH battery and as advised by others pushed all the way forward. Throttle at 75% and a level, firm throw into the wind. No issues as the ASW28 climbed steadily. Added a few clicks of up, though quickly assertained that the battery needs to come aft on subsequent flights as needed to maintain too much "up" elevator.
The model has great soaring characteristics and performed well. If you let it lose too much motion it will "drop a wing". Landed after some 15 minutes of flight and was impressed how steadily it came into land, killed the throttle and a text book landing

Second flight used a 1600mAH battery postioned 75% forward of the battery strap. In this flight did a few loops. It was then that the foam wing saddle cover fell off in flight. No big issue as luckily it fell to the ground near by. Landed and re-fitted cover. Did notice considerable flex in the tail area that allowed the cover to dislodge.
Up again and went in search of a thermal. Caught 2 superb lifts and on the second the ASW28 was just a dot! At this stage unfortunatly lost orientation with those super skinny wings and it flew into the sun overhead I could not find it!!!! after about 30 worried seconds "lost" I actually heard it whistling and was able to home in on it. As it came into view it was in a death spiral with wings fluttering. Managed to pull it up, canopy flew off. Subsequently landed and recovered canopy.
On examination the wing tubes have bent and I now have significant dihederal. Will measure tube and look to replace.
Also have noted significant lateral twist in fuse and movement in the two halves, so will strengthen with carbon flat and will stiffen tail boom, particularly in the thin section at the aft of wing seat.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:12 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,049 Posts
Good report Bonnie, however the bad ending begins to partially show why it sells for only a C-note.
This thread is one of several on my 'Subscribed' list & each time here I just click top-to-bottom thru the list & read without paying much attention to the thread title. At the point where you mentioned losing its skinny wings & the resulting torsion damage my first thoughts were "Oh no please not the '28" as I glanced at the tab title to verify which it was, so you've both stirred my fears as well as sent up the flags of caution, so thanks for the heads-up.

Nonetheless, I'll still be ordering mine shortly - very possibly later today....will just have to keep in mind not to put any heavy stresses on 'er while checking performance & figuring ways to strengthen. I'll surely be keeping an eye out for followups on what you do as well, so please do keep us informed!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:22 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilotx1 View Post
RYCOMM try Holographic film tape for leading edges...reflects the sun light to provide a hint as to where your specked out glider might be and its orientation. This has help me many times in returning a ship home safely..........

me many http://www.identi-tape.com/deco-holo.html

http://www.hilaunch.com/

You can also find it on Ebay....
Bush & Ryan (from reply to above)....
I checked the links (2d one is OOB apparently) and of course found dozens of varieties, & surely some would work better than others. Since yours serves our purposes well would you mind identifying which type you've found to be effective, and sharing the info to give us better idea of exactly what to shoot for? These aging ol' eyes of mine need all the help they can get so I'm definitely interested in trying some, but the wallet has its limits too, with not much room for exploratory buys.

And hey, while we're talking about tape. Back when I was flying the P2K I learned of something, asked the board of "experienced glider pilots" about it & drew dead silence. (Not too surprising really *LMAO*) So let me dredge this 'secret' up again. How many of you have tried, heard of, or know about 'Zig Zag Tape' use with glider wings?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:33 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Fuse now strengthen with carbon strips CA'd in place to stop twist and excessive movement. This fix has taken out most of the slop and everything feel much more solid;

5 pieces of 5mm x1mm flat carbon strips across fuse
2 pieces of 1.5 mm round carbon rod cut lightly in along each side of fuse

With the bent wing connectors am considering a test flight with the extra dihedral