SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:59 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d addict View Post
I dunno..which model to buy... I really like the asw, looks lovely in blue trim..
I also had my eye on the fms fox... Probably has a heavier wing loading but would be great for the rough onshore breeze down at the beach... ...
Is there some law in Ireland wot sez ye cain't 'ave both?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:12 PM
But will it fly ??
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Is there some law in Ireland wot sez ye cain't 'ave both?
Jesus !! Don"t tempt me starhopper

Right now ive got zero planes in my fleet.. Selling my yak55 which is the last to go.
Lovely plane but the way I had it set up.. It milled through the batterys

I need duration back in my life... The ventus is a scale racecar.. so that's going...
Hummm... Strokes chin !!!
3d addict is offline Find More Posts by 3d addict
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:59 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,468 Posts
Got some flights in last night in good conditions, really starting to like the ASW-28!

No thermals yet, but goofed around with some power off loops and rolls. It handles better than my old Fox.

Also used spoilerons on approach and landing and they worked great!! Flaperons will be getting un-programmed, did not like.

It looks so nice in the air as well!
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:12 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,683 Posts
I'm glad you wrote that. I've been casting sidelong glances at the Fox for some time now, but thankfully there's always been another 1 or 2 around that roused my interest more.

More tempted becuz my instructor's name is Fox....and seems everytime I turn up with a new glider, he's got that one too! But doesn't have a Fox, as it were -- ironic, eh? Been about half-thinking it'd be neat to show up with one with his name plastered across it, just to get his goat. (I'm that way ) But don't want no dog. Which Fox did you have?

Speakin' of temptations -- I wish to heck somebody made a decent motorized Salto. Beauty plane, that, esp. in the air. Have watched a guy doing hella-acro in a 1:1 -- quite a show! Can't think of his name - he's the one that does an inverted ribbon-cut for his finale.
*sigh* So many planes......
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
But will it fly ??
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Apr 2010
181 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14420

This might tickle youre fancy starhopper !!! ;]
3d addict is offline Find More Posts by 3d addict
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:50 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d addict View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14420

This might tickle youre fancy starhopper !!! ;]
Yeah, if'n I could only figger out where they hide the motor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,468 Posts
I had the FMS Fox, V1. Did a ton of mods to it, flew ok. Had a a lot of fun with it. Had a strange tendency to tuck under if I had to much speed in a dive. Not a bad model by any means but needed tweaking and it kept you on your toes.

A year or so ago there was a thread on that Salto, a gentleman was doing an electric conversion to it. I think the model was a handful to fly, had issues.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=salto
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
I ordered my ASW-28 last weekend, it shipped out on Monday, and arrived today.
Box looks undamaged by UPS, and I hope to fly it this weekend. I've heard varying reports about Banana Hobby, but everything seems good on this one.

Hopefully some pics and a flight report in the next couple of days.

Thanks, Ryan

I ordered my ASW-28 last weekend, it shipped out on Monday, and arrived today.
Box looks undamaged by UPS, and I hope to fly it this weekend. I've heard varying reports about Banana Hobby, but everything seems good on this one.

Hopefully some pics and a flight report in the next couple of days.

Thanks, Ryan

Well, it's several hours later, and I had a chance to get the ASW together. The packing is first rate. It's nicely packed and bagged in the box. Everything was in the box, and everything worked fine. The manual is somewhat lacking, but there really isn't that much to do. The control horns are not installed, and there in no mention of them in the manual. That is an easy installation.
I'm not impressed with the wing retention / installaion process. There are two aluminum wing joiner tubes that slide through a plastic root assembly. That assembly gets screwed together with 4 bolts. Now you have a 90+" one piece wing. The another 4 long bolts attach the wing to the fuselage. It doesn't really take that long, but the chance of losing some of the 8 bolts transporting to and from the field seems likely.
I installed a Spektrum AR7000 that I had available. It may be overkill, but I thought it would be better than a 6100, which was my other option. I did program in flaperons and spoilerons. After doing some flight testing, that may get changed.

Hopefully I'll have a good flight report this afternoon.

Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Last edited by rycomm; Sep 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
Mini flight report: The plane flies nicely.

I got to the field before noon, and got the ASW ready to fly. After messing around with some other peoples planes and taking a few photos, I decided to give it a go. First I flew it with a HK (Turningy?) 2200. It is a little bigger and heavier than some of the other batteries of its capacity, but it's always performed well. I guess the size didn't let the canopy latch fully, because it blew off in the first couple of minutes. I landed and retrieved the canopy. I found an older TP2100 that fit in the plane a little better, and everything locked down nicely. I flew that for 30+ minutes of climbing and gliding, with occasional bits of lift to help keep it up. I did need a bit of up trim. I did a few loops, rolls, and stall turns. Make sure you have lots of altititude if you decide to roll this thing, It rolls slowly, even on high rates. I didn't notice lack of aileron authority when flying it. When it is inverted, it just kind of stops for a moment. Loops and stall turns were fun. I did these power on and off. This plane has the abiltiy do nearly disappear. This is especially noticable when it is flying away from you. I am planning on painting some dark blue or red stripes on the bottom of the wing. I know, that's not scale. But, if it keeps me from losing the plane, I think it's a good idea.
Most of the second battery was spent practicing landings. I would launch it, let the motor run 5 - 7 seconds. I would fly around for a bit, then set up for an approach. I had several that I was happy with. Sometimes a wingtip would catch in the somewhat tall grass, and cause a groundloop, even though it was a good landing. I used the spoilerons and the flaperons. The spoilerons work better for me. I would deploy them once I was on final. These make the ailerons much less usable, so be ready on the rudder for any corrections. I had a few landings where it pretty much rolled out to my feet. Several others it got trapped in ground effect for a long time, even with the spoilers, and floated right on by.

I also helpe a friend with his Calypso today. That is a nice flying plane. It is more of a floater than the ASW, and seems to stay locked in a nice turn better. Both planes were set up with a bit of aileron to rudder mixing. On a few occasions I stalled the ASW in a fairly tight and slow turn (tip stall). This is completely understandable on a scale plane that likes to fly a little faster than most model sailplanes. I knew and expected this, but still got it too slow in the turns. I always had plenty of altitude, and recovery was quick.
Overall, I'm happy with the ASW28. It flies nicely, and looks great in the air.
After I paint some stripes on it, I think I will be able to check out its theramlling abiltity some more.
I'll try to post up some photos of my plane. I wasn't able to get any in flight shots.

Thanks, Ryan
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Good report. Thanks for sharing!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:45 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,683 Posts
True dat -- very nice!
Ryan did you set up with separate ailerons? Any differential?
Any thoughts of using crow for landings maybe?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
Yes, I did use separate channels for the ailerons. The inlcuded Y harness looked of good quality, but I wanted the mixing options available by using separate channels. I did mix in some differential, about 25% on low rates and 35% on high. This may have had something to do with the sluggish rolls. Maybe not. I don't know if it needed it or not, but it was easy to program. I only used the spoilerons and flaperons for landing. I didn't like the flaperons, but the spoilerons helped, though not like true spoilers would have. The ASW28 does not have flaps (niether the model or the full-size, according to wikipedia) so crow/butterfly isn't an option.

Here a few photos before the first flight. My photoshop version is so old it won't run on my newer computers, so I didn't do anything other than resize them. I've been thinking of getting Lightroom, anyone have any experience with it. It seems pretty cool.

Maybe if we're lucky, I hand the plane over to someone else so I can get some in flight shots.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:34 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,683 Posts
Ah so -- from your prior post thought you might've added 'em (flaps).
Handsome bird!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
I added stripes to the bottom of the wing this morning. I used some Krylon Fusion "Navy" for the first coat. I didn't have enought for a second coat, but I did have a can on Rustoleom "deep blue". They are pretty close to each other, and I think it came out pretty good. Today we had high overcast clouds, which really flattend the colors, and made everything harder to see. The gray sky really gave my camera problems and overexposed everything. I did get two that came out sorta OK. I really need some photo editing software. These were just resized and cropped. I think I am going to have some time tomorrow to try again.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:58 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,683 Posts
You scared the cwap outta me Ryan. When it first popped up & thought that first photo was a crash scene! Big WHEW! *LOL*

FWIW - now I know most of you 'manly MEN' won't be able to get past the color but, I'll share something with you a fellow slim-wing glider flier told me recently. He picked up a roll of 'Duck' brand tape at Staples, and made recognition 'stickers' for underwing that are sort've unique in 2 ways -- but makes 'em pop out like you wouldn't believe, even to that ol' timer's bad eyes. One, he used circles as large as the wings are wide across - 2 per wing.....and the other, Hot Pink.

Give it a try....you can always peel 'em off!
But me & pink? No thanks! *grin*
RCG Plus Member